Jack Sparrow Costume Build by Indy Magnoli

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Indy Magnoli, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Indy Magnoli

Indy Magnoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My latest quest: to complete a high quality Jack Sparrow costume by the 18th of February 2012. Our parish church and school are hosting a fundraising gala (fair) and I've offered several of my other costumes (namely Darth Vader, a Stormtrooper, and possible Boba Fett) to help attract people and to generally interact with people throughout the day. I thought Jack would make a great addition and (being a bit more practical an outfit) can help the helmeted guys get around more easily.

Now, as some of you know I'm no newbie when it comes to rush building (6 Star Wars Costumes in 3 Weeks w/ No Budget!" for example) and I've even put together a couple of generic pirate costumes before in a pinch:

[​IMG]

The only thing I really have are an MR compass and bananas (plenty of these, as I've been selling them for years through my clothiers site). Here is one brand new, one naturally aged by wear and exposure to sun, and a third which has been soaked in a little bleach:

[​IMG]

The next thing I did was to start putting out feelers for who might have things to trade (part of my modus operani is trying to do high quality for little to no money, but doing a lot through trading)... and so far I've managed to get a sash, the rings, a baldric buckle and some embossed pleather to make the baldric (though I would prefer to use genuine leather). I've also got some breeches (they're blue, so I'll have to see if I can dye them to match Jack's).

I have a lot of leather laying around, so after doing some research, I made myself a palm glove after a little cutting and sewing:

[​IMG]

I'm also doing a run of accurate swords and scabbards, so I should have those done before the date needed, so that's covered too.

So... that's my start. If you've got advice, would like to donate to the cause, or do some trading, shoot me a PM or e-mail.

Kind regards,
    Magnoli

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  2. Looch

Looch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Jack Sparrow Outfit by Feb 18th... !!!

Tea towel fabric for his gigantic sash! And Simplicity has a great pattern to mod!

3. Shylaah

Shylaah Sr Member

Palm glove looks great! If you're into making, I have a pattern for the wristwrap, movies 1-3, haven't studied up on 4.....
    It's pretty easy to do......I made mine out of some fuzzy stuff I had on hand, but would recommend you use some black monk cloth if you can find it. It's hefty and has a big fat weave and ravels out nicely for the fringe. Also, never updated the page, but it was later confirmed by someone who worked on the film that the reverse side of the DMC/AWE wristwrap actually is the CotBP wristwrap pattern.

There's a palm glove pattern on there also, but you already got that done. It's real easy to custom fit it to your own hand, if anyone else out there is looking to make one.

I have an embossed hide, but not prepared to cut it at this time as Andy is doing some 'above and beyond' research on the baldric belts and frog and how they are cut from the embossed leather. He used a mirrored image scan of the vinyl (the embossing pattern on the vinyl is mirror image to the embossing pattern on the leather) to do the mapping, but learned in his research that the pattern on the leather isn't seamless like it is on the vinyl, there are places where the pattern changes abruptly.

At first he thought the belt's were pieced, but could not find any signs of a seam, just the pattern changes, no cut. Following the embossed design on the baldric, the belts map out as four pieces on the vinyl. He is sure that they were not cut like that though, that on the leather with the pattern change they were most probably cut one long belt, one short belt and the frog.

So I got out the hide to compare to the vinyl. The area where I started lining up the vinyl to leather the embossed pattern was the same (except it is mirror imaged as mentioned above), for about 12 inches, then there on the leather, the pattern doesn't continue like on the vinyl, but changes to a different section of the embossed pattern. Did determine that the pattern on the vinyl and the pattern on the leather are the same scale 1:1.

[​IMG]

So, I am hoping after the holidays to get some good pics of the leather hide in its entirety to see if there is at least ONE SA baldric to be had on it! Andy has mapped out several from DMC/AWE/OST.

So, said all that, to say that if you have some of the embossed vinyl, you can map out the belts and frog on it using Andy's pix, then reverse them---because the vinyl is mirror image to the leather--and you will at least then have an SA pattern shape for your baldric and frog.
    Confessions of a Jackaholic / Baldric--Mapping the embossed leather pattern

Shylaah

4. Indy Magnoli

That's some great information and a good resource you posted links too... I'll be sure to make reference to your pattern for the wrist strap!

5. wickedoffroad

wickedoffroad Active Member

Awww man. you got me all excited for bananas.....all i see are squares of cloth :( Looks like you've got a good start.

6. Indy Magnoli

Just got some breeches (blue, so I'll have to redye them), all the rings and an ikea sash. :) Also bought some yarn today and will get my daughter to make me a wrist wrap.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  7. Mxlplx

Mxlplx Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Headed to the Post Office this afternoon, you should have a baldric buckle and paisley vinyl by next week!

8. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

I shall follow this with interest.
    Good luck! :D

9. Indy Magnoli

Worked on the breeches... they started out a dark blue like this:

[​IMG]

So, instead of buying dye remover (I'm all about cutting costs), I soaked them in about 2 cups of bleach and 8 cups of water for about five minutes. After rinsing them out and line-drying them... they now look like this:

[​IMG]

I'm really amazed at how much better they look. Now I'm debating whether to darken them up with some brown dye or just leave them. I really like the worn-grey look they are now.

10. artbypaul

artbypaul Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great job, so far! Love the breeches! :)

11. Indy Magnoli

Well... I just pulled the trigger on some Caboots (they were VERY helpful with communication) and should have a Yordreem wig set on its way next week. So... that's

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

covered. :D

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  12. Onlyalad19

Onlyalad19 Active Member

I have boots available, in chocolate brown leather from Caboots, but I see you no longer need them.

13. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

What size?!? @ Onlyalad19

Very nice... The first breeches pic looks like costumebase. Correct?

14. Indy Magnoli

15. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Ok, can you tell me anything about the quality and the size... Costumebase is in Asia, and I've heard, that the size is smaller than normal US size...

I thought about to get a coat, change the buttons, and use it then as my normal sparrow coat, but I worry about the size, and some people say, that the fabric is not very good...

16. Indy Magnoli

I was actually impressed with the quality, compared to what I imaging other costumebase stuff looks like. But... in regards to sizing, that is weird! The pair I have are supposed to be 33/34 (which may be correct for the actual waist measurement, but the thighs and seat are fairly snug and the rise is REALLY short compared to what they should be. I'm not overly concerned since the sash and belts cover up this part, but they aren't the most comfortable pair of pants to wear (especially since I'm used to more period high-rise trousers).

Kind regards,
    Indy

17. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Thanks... I gues I have to check it out by myself with the coat...

I have breeches from Empire Worldwide, and I have to say, they're pretty comfortable...

anyway, good luck with your costume...

18. Indy Magnoli

Next up... the wrist strap. I picked up 50 cents worth of black burlap from a local cloth shop and, using the yarn I had on hand and my daughter's darning needle, we set to weaving. My daughter (11 years old) did about half the work, but then I got impatient and finished it up myself. We only had a pink and off-white yard, but it worked well enough:

[​IMG]

Once the needlework was done, I added four vertical rows of stitching add strength and two long horizontal stitching (above and below the yard) to prevent fraying past those points.

I then sprayed the entire cloth with a strong, black coffee mixture (the same I use for aging my document props):

[​IMG]

Lastly, I set to fraying the edges. Once that was done, I used black shoe polish to darken the yard further, especially the parts that would tie at the ends. I also added a little baby powder to give the black parts a dustier look. Unfortunately, most of this doesn't show up in the photo, but this will give you an idea of the final product:

[​IMG]

I'm pretty happy for 50 cents.

19. Indy Magnoli

I've had the MR skull ring for years and recently acquired the other three MR rings through a trade. Luckily, both the Dragon Ring and Stolen Ring fit me perfectly on the correct fingers. The Flower Ring is a little loose (no biggie there) but the Skull Ring was about a full size too small to fit on my right forefinger.

So, I decided to try resizing this myself. I bought a cheap stainless steel ring from the dollar store:

[​IMG]

This ring was a bit wider than the Skull ring, so I ground it down to an appropriate width and then, with apprehension, cut the back of the Skull ring:

[​IMG]

The next thing I did was taper the edges of the skull ring cut ends. I cut the steel ring and tapered those ends as well. All of this was done so far using a table wheel grinder and dremel (but it could have easily all been done with just a dremel):

[​IMG]

Next, I test the fit of the extending piece:

[​IMG]

I was impatient so, instead of using a two-part epoxy (which would make sense for strength and durability), I super-glued the two pieces together. Again impatiently, I began sanding the joints... but the super glue didn't hold. So, like a madman, I just super-glued it again, this time being more careful with the sanding. ;) I also used the super glue like a filler where the seams didn't quite mesh perfectly. After some more dremel work and then hand sanding, I arrived at the final product:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A $1 ring and elbow grease goes a long way.

20. Indy Magnoli

Just got confirmation from Caboots that the boots are on their way! Great communication and fast service (so far), so if the boots are what they're supposed to be, I'll be very happy with these guys.

For the waistcoat, I've decided to have my tailors give this a go. If this is successful, I'll be adding this to my site which will allow anyone to order these with a HUGE selection of fabric and color options. I'm going for a silk/linen blend in dark pewter for the front and a wool blend in silver with salmon pinstripe for the back:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Lastly... my first "finished" part of the costume... Jack hands:

[​IMG]

Kind regards,
    Magnoli

21. Indy Magnoli

Got my Caboots yesterday! That's two and a half weeks from order to arrival... I'm impressed! They seem perfect to be (though I'm no Sparrow expert... yet). One of the boots is quite tricky to get on (due to a well fitting ankle area). I've started distressing the left boot with some Pecard leather dressing:

[​IMG]

The 21" height is definitely the way to go, but the bells look a little longer proportionately (I could be wrong) so I rolled them up an inch or so, which will give me extra height to add the wrinkles around the ankles. Here's a shot of the toe for those wondering about the current accuracy of the toe shape:

[​IMG]

Kind regards,
    Magnoli

22. Indy Magnoli

After trying on those costumbase breeches, I decided that even with suspenders/braces holding them up, the rise is just too low. So, to extend them, I found a second-hand pair of blue jeans. The tricky part was to find a pair that were self-waisted (without a separate piece for the waistband). I found these for a few bucks:

[​IMG]

After unpicking the belt loops and the horizontal seam:

[​IMG]

I then bleached the scraps and sewed them to my existing breeches:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A little more distressing:

[​IMG]

I added suspender buttons, but after having tried these on, I think I'll just add some more eyelets to the split back and add a longer string. This should keep everything in place just fine (hopefully).

Kind regards,
    Magnoli

23. Indy Magnoli

Less than one month to go... just got these two belts from Alex Borton:

[​IMG]

The Acme sun buckle had way too much patina, in my opinion, but a few minutes with some turpentine and a wire brush and I brought out more of the bronze. Alex did a fantastic job with these, especially the back of the Anamaria belt:

[​IMG]

He also through in a couple of rabbit pelts (which have since been correctly moved to the Sun Belt, so don't worry)... so I just need some charms and a chicken foot and that will be done!

24. dobbo049

dobbo049 New Member

I'm sure you're already aware but Swagarts sell most charms including the chickens foot.

Sparrow Style Accessories

25. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Love how this is coming together!!

26. Rikarus

Rikarus Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is an awesome turnaaround on the boots, I order some from CA and it took 10 weeks.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product pics!

27. deathscythe

deathscythe Well-Known Member

I'm glad you like the belts! They got there a lot quicker than I thought they would.
    Yeah - the sun buckle is a bit green, but since I don't make them, I leave them as they arrive to be altered by the customer to fit their taste.

I would also highly recommend swagarts for the belt trinkets!

I'm glad too that you had such a good experience with CABoots. That was quick!

This is coming along nicely!

-Alex

28. Indy Magnoli

I'm hoping to get a real chicken foot... but will still need those trinkets. The costume can definitely survive without them though. Right now, my big concern is the wig. This was sent out just after Christmas, but still hasn't arrived...

29. deathscythe

Yeah - most people probably wouldn't notice if the belt trinkets were absent.

The thing that's nice about the swagarts belt trinkets are that they are the real deal: real python vertebrae, chicken foot, and the screen accurate netsuke (mermaid "fetrility" charm). She even goes to the trouble of picking out chicken feet with a shape as close to what was seen on screen as possible. Not all chicken feet look the same...

Is there a tracking number for the wig? Not that the tracking is updated as often as you would like; your belts were already in your hands when tracking still said they were still in LA! Do you think it may be stuck in customs somewhere?

-Alex

30. Rikarus

Rikarus Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

it's a Jack wig, customs probably thought is was a live animal! :p

31. deathscythe

Magnoli - thanks for mentioning that the pelts go on the Sun belt. I never noticed that I had it on the wrong belt before you said it a few posts ago, and just switched it to the right belt on my gear as well.
    Sometimes you study something for so long, and still miss details like that:eek...

Also, while I'm thinking about it - don't forget to throw that Ikea sash through the wash 4 or 5 times, and if you already have, it doesn't hurt to do it a few more times anyways. That material is really pretty stiff, and the cuts and holes look better and better if you wash the material afterward. Then, make a really strong pot of coffee and soak the sash in it in a soup pot 'till the coffee is cold; then wring it dry and throw it through the dryer.

-Alex

32. Indy Magnoli

Thanks for all the pointers guys! And good news... the wig arrived today!!! The box looked like it has been sat on, thank goodness this was "only" a wig. I've tied the bandana on, but I think I'll have a tweak a few things on this wig before I'll be completely happy. I'll post pics up as soon as their done.

Kind regards,
    Indy

33. Indy Magnoli

Ok, here is my Yordreem wig with my own bandana:

[​IMG]

Now, looking at this photo, here are the things I think need changing:

-narrow the bandana (from the top so more hair is showing on top)
    -move the top knot more to the right (viewer's left)
    -bring the long kuchi strand slightly more to the front (the dreads tend to cover it with this placement, though I pushed them aside for the photo)
    -redo the right braid (viewer's left) as it is way too thick as it is

If you see any other tips you can give, please do so and I'll work them in. I also notice that the bandana needs to be worn slightly lower to cover more of my eyebrows.

Now... to see how much beard I can grow in the next four weeks...

-Magnoli

34. Remorazz

Remorazz Member

I know this is just a small detail, but isn't Jack's piece of eight silver, not gold?
    [​IMG]Like this?

35. dobbo049

dobbo049 New Member

Again . . Im sure you have probabaly come across this, but this is by far the best piece of information I have found on jack wig, coins, dangles, ties and exactly where they are placed.

http://jacksparrowcostuming.wikispaces.com/file/view/JackSparrowWigChart.pdf

I think the Pya coin (the one also on the piece of eight) is actually gold, but it worn and corroded to the point where it kind of looks silver when reflecting the light.

Stuart

36. dobbo049

dobbo049 New Member

p.s I've also found where to get just about all the coins now, so If your missing any, let me know and I'll try and point you in the right direction. :)

Love how its coming along by the way

37. Onlyalad19

Onlyalad19 Active Member

They are a size 10 US but fit more like 10.5 I had to wear very thick socks. PM me if you are interested.

Enjoying the progress Indy, it is looking great so far.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  38. Indy Magnoli

Thanks for the help guys. That PDF is great! Although I've spent a lot of time at that wiki, I never saw that PDF.

The coin on my piece-of-eight is definitely silver looking in person, nothing like the brass you see in my photo. Weird.

I've got a tricorn on the way:

[​IMG]

And here is the fabric we'll be using on my coat:

[​IMG]

Kind regards,
    Indy

39. Dutchman

Dutchman Well-Known Member

Looks like you're going to make it, :thumbsup

@dobbo049: The Burma coin on the piece of eight is definitely silver, also the Master Replica version is, shown on Indy Magnoli's wig (although the coin is a bit bigger).

40. SweeneyTodd

SweeneyTodd New Member

This looks really awesome so far
    You are definitely very resourceful. I can't wait to see the final product

dobbo049 thanks for sharing that PDF, I'm sure that will help a lot of other Jack Sparrows. I have never seen that before, it's such a great reference, when/if I ever get my Jack Sparrow costume together, I will definitely be using that for reference

41. dobbo049

dobbo049 New Member

ahh yeh sorry, you are right, the one on the piece of eight is actually silver, My mistake :p

Yeh its a great PDF, I've read everything on that site countless times and every time I discover something new. When I've got the spare money I'm going to be spending a hell of a lot of time making my costume, and I couldn't do it without the information on that wiki :D

Just want to make clear that I DIDN'T write that PDF, I'm sure you all know this but I don't want people to think I'm trying to take credit for it :D

Where did you get the tricorn? I'm thinking of having a go at making my own (again from a guide I found on the jack costume wiki), nothing I've found seems to be "perfect" and anything close is too much money, If I can have a go at making it myself and learning the skills along the way I should be able to tweak it until its just right . . . if not, well . . its my hat :)

I like the material your going for with the coat, this is the one thing I'm being really fussy about and I will have to buy it from somewhere whatever it costs, I simply don't posses the skills to make one of these. So give us some pics when its done and let us know if you plan to make and sell any more?

Coming along great so far, keep us posted :)

42. Indy Magnoli

The tricorn above was made by Captain Venno (Paul Ventriss) and he's been very helpful so far.

I'll be adding both the frock coat and waistcoat to my clothiers site once they're done. Although they'll be more expensive than other versions I've seen, they'll be full tailored (made-to-measure, not in standard sizes) and be available in countless colors, fabrics, etc.

Kind regards,
    Magnoli

43. aimeekitty

aimeekitty Active Member

looking awesome!

44. dobbo049

dobbo049 New Member

yeh ok, depends how much more than yordeem's then :p

At the end of the day I'd rather have it tailored, I've been cursed with long arms and If I'm gonna spend a lot of money on the coat Id rather spend a bit more to make sure it fits perfectly. :)

45. Indy Magnoli

I got my Denix flintlock:

[​IMG]

First thing to do was rip it apart:

[​IMG]

Restaining the stock was simply, a little of 220 sandpaper, very dark brown stain and some elbow grease was all it needed. One of the big things I new I wanted to tweak was the flint hammer:

[​IMG]

The original is all one piece of solid cast metal. So... I dremeled out the metal "flint" and found a small rock in my backyard:

[​IMG]

A little grinding to reshape my "flint" and a small swatch of leather:

[​IMG]

Added some superglue for safety and voila:

[​IMG]

I lightly spray painted the brass parts silver, leaving a little brass showing through for a bit more depth of color. After reassembly:

[​IMG]

Not a perfect replica by any means, but as I stayed before, I usually prefer metal and wood to resin for a more real-world feel.

Kind regards,
    Magnoli

46. spookykid7404

spookykid7404 New Member

any luck on your waistcoat yet? That's the next upgrade I want to do on my costume. Not OST though, DMC/AWE.

47. tk527

tk527 New Member

Looks like its coming together nicely! Can't wait to see it finished.

48. Indy Magnoli

The waistcoat will likely arrive at the last minute, so fingers crossed. The great thing about this waistcoat is that I'll be able to offer it in a huge range of fabrics, colors, patterns and options.

Kind regards,
    Indy

49. Scurvy Dog

Scurvy Dog New Member

Looks like your coming along great! Don't know if you know this, but your Anna Marie Buckle is the OST version, not the DMC /AWE buckle. You might be able to remove the added pieces from the top and bottom to change it back to the correct look.

50. deathscythe

I wasn't aware that there was a difference, or I would have asked Richard specifically send a DMC/AWE buckle when I made these belts...
    What parts are added to the buckle on the OST version?

- Alex