It was Purely QMx Sonic Screwdrivers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asp9mm

Kenney has stated that third party sonic makers cannot be discussed in any thread he is involved in, so I have opened this to allow others to discuss sonic props as a whole in the old thread, while the QMx sonics only are discussed here. Respect and facts only. No speculation on either side please. Cold hard definitive and splendid facts.

IMG_8580.jpg

IMG_8577.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Purely QMx Sonic Screwdrivers

OK.... so here's the new location? Looks good.... clean notebook to write in. Breath of fresh air to discuss this little prop that so many of you guys are passionate about. Let's get started. I mentioned that in the other thread that I would like to know what you all want me to do for you. I mean it. Vioce it here. Tell me what you want to see done in this prop. I definitely would like to know. I personally.... would like to make the prop exactly as it sits today. Maybe reverse some of the "fixes" done to maintain it during the show. Obviously, I can't satisfy everone... so... I will disappoint some of you when this thing starts selling. That's a fact. But, I hope you will not go too hard on me. lol

Well, let's start the "list"

Sorry to everyone for contributing to getting the last thread out of hand.
One thing is for certain, there really is a lot of love for these props so I'm glad we can get back on track and discuss what the future holds - and thanks to Kenney for his continued contribution to the discussion.

Forgot to mention my requests!
As I had mentioned before, I would like to see a nice display container come with it - like the one used to hold the real props on set, only smaller - with a foam fitted spot for the sonic, a small (real) screwdriver to open it up and a spot for spare batteries. Maybe even a label inside saying something like "Property of the Doctor Who Prop Department" would be fun.
You may even want to discuss the possibility with Qmx about doing a stunt version that is accurate sized, but maybe made for costume convention use.

GeneralFrosty.... Damm good input. I actually did discuss about the display box so I see we're on the same page. I did take note to the box that the 10th was stored in and was thinking something along those lines or that exact box. I think a label would be a great idea as well. I like it. There is so much we can do with this. I think having fan input is what's needed here.

Like I said.... I'm listening to you guys.

Are these going to be plush toys or just another announcement that never happens?

Maybe a signature edition?? I would LOVE to have a Matt Smith signed plaque to go along with my sonic.
So basically, you would have three versions to pick from:
Stunt: Made of metal plated plastic, accurate sized but for costume wear
Hero: As we have been discussing all along...
Signature: Same as above, but includes a signed metal plaque from Matt Smith

I'd like it to look exactly the same externally as the original, but I'd love for it to make the sonic sound as well as lighting up.

I really don't mind how the interior looks as long as it's sturdy enough for repeated use.

I'd like it to look exactly the same externally as the original, but I'd love for it to make the sonic sound as well as lighting up.

I really don't mind how the interior looks as long as it's sturdy enough for repeated use.

The playability factor whould definately raise the coolness factor, but I would be happy just to have one that lights up and is completely accurate.

I would vote dead on the way it was originally (before the extra screw holes, repaints, gum to hold it together, etc....

The box like used to store them on set would be great!!!!

Have you guys considered doing the Aztec non hero Sonics as a cheaper carry around version that could take a bit of a beating? I'm guessing (and only a guess) that the hand finishing is going to be expensive. If it is on display the paint would stay nice but would wear and chip (just like the props from the show which would be cool in it self) if carried around. That would cover pretty much everyone.

What does everyone want really? The prop as it was when originally built? (we don't have accurate scans from back then as Kenney only scanned the prop when filming had finished with DT and MS with the prop). Do you want an accurate prop after all that filming, bashing, refitting, screw holes added and refurbing (accurate 100% as this was the prop Kenney scanned)? You want all the dents, dings and repolishing signs that leave it asymetrical and far removed from what it was when originally conceived and built?

A pretty accurate overall representation of what we see on screen, made from lasting and robust materials and with a hard wearing paint finish is what I want. But that is far removed from the prop. But anyone wanting a copy of the prop can always kick it around and take some sandpaper and a Dremel to the end product. It's a difficult one for sure.

Last edited:

Look, if it's made identical to the originals there should be no complaints about it being innacurate, right? I mean that's usually the biggest complaint in this hobby. But since each one is very slightly different and unique, finding that idealized version that does NOT deviate from the originals is the key here.

"An accurate overall representation of what we see on screen, made from lasting and robust materials and with a hard wearing paint finish is what I want."

This sounds good. I want it to look like the one on screen, but I want it to be made well and be durable.

To be honest, I think the prototype that is in the photos at the start of this thread is what the end product should look like. It is a direct scan of the real one that was CNC'd. The hand made ones have some wonks that give them character that it looks like the process they used on the prototype reflects. We are of course not going to get the scratches and dings. If they can mass produce that prototype I think we have a winner.

If they start altering the paint, cleaning up the wonks, etc... you no longer have a screen accurate piece. You have something that is idealized and does not match the screen used one. I think it would be a terrible waste of the process they went through to remove all of the things that make a screen accurate piece screen accurate.

I think that was the point in having Nick make up that prototype. To take the the parts from the origenal and clean it up to be "as built" and to work from that model (unless I am thinking wrong on this).

Last edited:

The only person I can answer for is me but this is my wish list:

1) Affordable replica which is as close to indistinguishable from the set used prop on the outside (but with sound if there is room). I'm of the warts and all variety and not the idealized variety but to each their own.
2) Shored up interior which will survive day to day handling and use.
3) Ease of battery replacement
What I’d love to see but never be able to afford at my current income level also would be an artisan level replica where the work is so dead on to the original it is impossible to tell them apart until you open it up and see the limited number and QMx logo inside the piece. I’m sure there would be a few people with disposable income out there that would kill for something like that as well.

You're correct to say I don't have scans for back then. I scanned the prop as it sits now. But, I also used a caliper and micrometer to measure everything. So I know what the dimensions should be without the scratches. Even in its current state, the dimensions are still remain intact. It's not that bad. The stuff that was changed while maintaining it I know about as well. Don't assume I only have my scans, CAD, and pics of it as it sits now. I know what it should be and I know how it sits. Keep in mind, I have a lot more information than people are giving me credit for. My decision is to build it the way it was or now is not saying it will have paint all ruined and worn off. What I mean is that you'll get the prop clean but exact. Right now, I'm looking at the interenals. There's the way it was and the way it is now. Both are correct because both were used during filming. I like one version and will probably go with that. You'll get a sharp clean props built to exact dimensions.

Whether it will be accurate isn't even a factor anymore. I think we beat this horse dead too long.

As for durable? The 10ths design is quite durable actually. I mean, the way it sits now is worn and threaded holes shot to the point it will fall apart. However, you guys wouldn't have to worry about that unless you intend not to take care of it and beat it. The housing is pretty strong and will not dent unless you intentionally dent it... and that would take some force to do. The wall thickness around the mid section is around ( I say around because I will not give dimensions to violate NDA) .060 to .075 thick. That's pretty thick for a cylinder that is roughly around .75 dia. Don't you think? So, no inside support is needed.

Kenney,
Have you or will you visit Nick's workshop and watch how HE makes the props? I'm wondering if that would be a crucial aspect in nailing these...

Hi General....
Actually, Nick and I discussed that. I just called him not that long ago and asked if he had done time this month. We did look at the second week in August that I could fly out there. Mainly to discuss the paintingof the 10th and go over that. But also to look at the sonics in general. However, I ended up with a couple movie projects and had to hold off. If I still go out, it would have to wait until after August.... not just because of my projects but Nick will be busy this month as well. So, I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back