It was Purely QMx Sonic Screwdrivers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus, that limited market has already been served by the very slow selling MFX and the CT replicas in the case of the Tennant. How much business does that really leave for QMX?

A pretty damn good cosplay Matt Smith is already out there, Character Options sell them.

And what of the River sonic and Laser screwdriver? Hardly anyone has even mentioned them...

I really don't think we are gonna see artisan vs 'stunt'. IMHO QMX should work their asses of to get the hella complex high quality Smith sonic out there to test the market, and stop even thinking too hard about the others.

Folk on the RPF are very keen on talking up what they wanna have available, but when the time comes to get the wallet out...

Well, just ask any of us who have run interest threads over the years :lol

Sound or not, I just want me a 11th Doc Sonic done in metal. And a Laser Screwdriver for that matter. Though Admittedly some sort of simple display stand for the sonic would be preferred.

I'm with jedibugs on this one. A more "well-loved" sonic would certainly have more character to it but it's really just impossible to replicate that perfectly and then to make it marketable. I mean what would you put ,"accurate up until episode __ of series __"? The best bet is to just make them all new looking and anybody who wants to weather theirs can roll it across their driveway a bit or just carry it with them a lot. Also not against the idea of a stunt/costume version but really, isn't that what the toys are good for? Or you could just be careful.Very careful.

IMHO QMX should work their asses of to get the hella complex high quality Smith sonic out there to test the market, and stop even thinking too hard about the others.

Birdie, I rather like this idea. I think I'll pass it along ;-)

I totally agree with Jedibugs. Well put Sir!

So, would you be happy if QMx produce a limited edition sonic for each episode? Madness. I suppose if they were brand spanking new they are SA from the 1st ep they aired, if that helps? ;) All my Sonics have wear & tear from me & thus are uniquely MY Sonics.

Of course Birdie is also right, a lot of hot air is blown on tis sight that soon dissipates when it comes to dipping hands in wallets. That's why QMx will have to release a robust cleaned up version that is VFM, tough enough for them (or anyone else new to producing these replicas) in this current climate & limited market that has been already well catered for.

Sorry Jedibugs its Value For Money. They are using VFM a lot when describing extras on Classic Who DvD's.

Ha! Also had another thought. A true SA 10th Sonic could never be achieved anyay due to the unique properties of the crackle finishes used! ;)

Also not against the idea of a stunt/costume version but really, isn't that what the toys are good for?

It would be, if the toys were in any way accurate- they are rubbish in that respect, and way too big. For someone that even vaguely cares about screen accuracy, they are chronic. I mean, it's got 2 buttons on the blue strip instead of one on the slider.

If QMX can develop an 11th Stunt sonic that can take a beating and a premium version, that would be sweet. Goodness knows that my CO 11th sonic takes a beating getting flung around and such. Though my wallet would hate it coz i know i'd get both. even if i have to sell most of my lightsaber collection to do it!

I don't understand all the talk about a Qmx sonic that has all the dings and scratches. I guess it's all thanks to the efx Legend Vader helmet - now everyone wants beat up replica props - but in the case of the sonic, it really makes very little sense!
We really don't see the imperfections on-screen, we are not meant to see them and they are NOT part of the design of the prop - the wear n' tear marks are a result of use on set. If someone wants their sonic to look 'used' then I would suggest putting those scratches and dings in yourself. It makes really no sense to sell a replica in that condition - the Legend Vader may be a different story because we clearly see these imperfections on-screen and has inadvertently become a visibly recognizable aspect of the helmet used in the movie.
Anyone agree or am I just going crazy?

The big difference is that the Legends line has all the exact same dings and scratches because they come from the mold rather than wear. Having someone sit and ding the sonics to match the current state is ridiculous and I don't think anyone actually wants that, right?

Hi folks,

as suggested by Asp9mm I have moved all of Kenneys posts into the old thread, undeleting the posts that had been deleted, to document a member´s and licensee´s artist´s reaction to the actions of a prop maker who creates unlicensed replicas.

The "discussion" that took place would have been an interesting one if it had taken place on the RPF between members trying to create the best possible replica, with everyone potentially learning a lot from each other.

But hey, that´s how things sometimes go.

Michael
RPF staff

Thanks Michael. The thing that's kept me coming back to the RPF all these years is the opportunity to share and learn. I hope we all can continue in that vein.

*quietly tip-toes into the thread*

Alrighty, new thread, right on. :)

Here's a question I'd like to pose to Kenney:

Obviously, we now know that QMX plans to make the various Sonic (& Laser) Screwdrivers that have been seen since the show's return in 2005, and that's great! I'm looking forward to seeing the final products, even if I find that I can't afford to purchase them.

But my question is, simply, this: What about OTHER Doctor Who props (and I don't mean props of the paper variety ;))? What about the Chameleon Arch Watch, which EVERY officially licensed replica so far has gotten completely WRONG? What about the Master's Signet Ring? What about Captain Jack's Time Agent Vortex Manipulator? Are there any plans to tackle those, or any of the other props we've seen that AREN'T of the Screwdriver variety? :confused

Just curious, and thanks in advance for any info you decide to share. :)

Last edited:
The eFX helmet is taken from a mould which was taken of the helmet after filming that's why the dings and scratches are in the mould.
In an ideal world it would be nice if QMx offered both pre and post damage options then everyone is happy yeah ?
At least as far as what version is available anyway. :lol

Knew I shouldn't have mentioned Vader. :lol Thanks for the clarification - that's what I was getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back