General Doctor Who Props Discussion Thread

Jack T Chance

Sr Member
Alright, time to try starting over, given the events of the last week or so.

This here's a thread to discuss ANY AND ALL DOCTOR WHO PROPS, made by ANYONE! The actual props used in filming, the Official BBC Licensed replicas made by ANY licensee (QMx, MFX, Character Options, etc, etc,) RPF runs by Megatron, RussRep, etc, etc, or even the one-of-kind replica you made YOURSELF! ALL are open for discussion here! :cool

BUT... as this is NOT the Junkyard, standard forum rules apply in this thread. If you want to have a general discussion about unlicensed replicas (Time Lord's Pocket, etc, etc,) such as discussing what they got right and what they got wrong, why you like it, etc, this is the place to do so. If you are here to SHILL for those sellers, i.e. posting with the sole purpose of trying to get people to buy their products, OR if you are here solely to try and fan the recent flames, this is NOT the thread for such posts and as such, all such posts WILL be reported to the mods and you can expect that the mods will edit and/or delete them, capiche? :devil

Now then... In My Humble Opinion, Sonic Screwdrivers are awesome and all, but they've been discussed TO DEATH of late! I think it's time to discuss one of my favorite props since the show returned, a prop that doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves, especially from the Beeb's Official Licensees...

The Chameleon Arch Pocket Watch!

ChameleonArchConceptArt.jpg

ChameleonArchScreenShot1.jpg

ChameleonArchScreenShot2.jpg

An absolutely FANTASTIC prop, and one that has not received the appropriate love from the Official BBC Licensees! :(

On the one hand, you have Character Options, which, to be fair, made a good replica for what it is: A CHILDREN'S TOY. And that's all it was ever designed to be.

And on the other hand, you have the Official Licensee that promised us satisfying, metal replicas for the adult collector. And what did we receive? Small pocket watches that are MAJORLY undersized compared to the prop, and with very poor, highly inaccurate detailing when compared to the prop. :thumbsdown

So, it's all well and good that QMx is going to make the various Sonic Screwdrivers, with a Laser Screwdriver thrown in for good measure! But where's my screen-accurate Chameleon Arch Pocket Watch? :confused

Re: General Doctor Who Props Discussion Thread, Discuss ANY DW Props Made by ANYONE!!

Hey now...I've got that custom pocket watch and people go bananas over it. :)

Re: General Doctor Who Props Discussion Thread, Discuss ANY DW Props Made by ANYONE!!

Hey now...I've got that custom pocket watch and people go bananas over it. :)
If you're talking about the officially licensed, undersized metal one for the "adult collector" market... as a pocket watch to carry around to tell time with, it's pretty cool. As a replica of the PROP seen in the world's longest-running science fiction television series, it's utter RUBBISH! :p

Um...no...I was talking about my...oh just look left to my avatar. You'll figure it out. LOL!

Um...no...I was talking about my...oh just look left to my avatar. You'll figure it out. LOL!
Ohhh.... you mean your "Seal of Rasilon" watch? Now that is frickin' SWEET!!! :):thumbsup

Still, I should like to see more than just the LID sometime! ;)

Last edited:

I cant wait to put a Vortex Manipulator together!

Which story used the money with the Doctor's face on it? I don't remember that.

The Xmas episode with Donna. It was the money that poured out of the ATM he soniced.

(reads intently, thinks and then scarpers off to put the episode in the player to watch again)

My current labour of love:

controllercleanup.jpg

controllercleanup2.jpg

It's cast from the original dummy helmet that Toberman throws across the room, I'm hoping this will finally be finished at the end of this year as I seem to have been at it for about 5 years now!

Some other bits I have made over the years..

moonbasehelmet6edit.jpg

invasionhelmet1.jpg

cybermen3.jpg

attackscout5.jpg

nemesishead005.jpg

churchren3.jpg

There she is! Closest thing we're likely to get to what I actually want. I keep hoping that someday soon I'll have enough disposable income to afford one, but other things keep taking priority, like the 2 DC Direct Power Battery Prop Replicas that were released this year (the Sinestro Corps Power Battery Prop Replica and the Green Lantern Movie Power Battery Prop Replica.) Those things aren't exactly cheap, either, even at the 32% off price I can usually find online.

Funny story, true story... while it's well known that the replica you have is NOT 100% accurate to the filming prop, one of its inaccuracies, the design on the inside of the lid, IS accurate to the original, approved CONCEPT ART that I posted above, thus making it a neat little variation! :cool
Which story used the money with the Doctor's face on it? I don't remember that.
Funny story, true story... prop masters printing up custom money like that is NORMAL PRACTICE in the film-making industry! It happens on virtually ALL productions! The reason is simple: If the prop master either photocopied real money, or printed out money that looks real, he/she would be guilty of COUNTERFEITING and could be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. It wouldn't matter that the money was produced for use in a movie or TV show, it would still be counterfeiting in the eyes of the law!

As a result, prop masters produce bills that are VERY OBVIOUSLY fakes, as seen above. :cool

Jack T, look a little closer at my watch pics. There were quite a few of these made for the programme (magnetic, hero, working, light up, stunt). All of them were very different.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back