Is this MPP real?

yodakiller1138

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I need some advice from you guys. I was the high bidder on Ebay purchase item#7581296442 MPP MICROFLASH FLASHGUN which ended on January 22nd. Before I send payment I wanted to run it by the group. Do you think it's legit or a scam. If its not real I may just take the bad feedback rather than be stuck with a fake and not get my money back. OPINIONS. I NEED ADVICE ASAP. :confused

Originally posted by yodakiller1138@Jan 24 2006, 08:44 PM
I need some advice from you guys. I was the high bidder on Ebay purchase item#7581296442 MPP MICROFLASH FLASHGUN which ended on January 22nd. Before I send payment I wanted to run it by the group. Do you think it's legit or a scam. If its not real I may just take the bad feedback rather than be stuck with a fake and not get my money back. OPINIONS. I NEED ADVICE ASAP. :confused
[snapback]1167237[/snapback]​

Not a lot of pics, but I can say that the shroud is most likely real. The shroud is a double step shroud, where the one used in SW was a single step and as far as I know no one makes an incorrect double step shroud replica. The shroud is the same as my MPP.

David.

I can tell from the pic that the shroud and the reflector are real. The clamp looks too new to me. Something doesn't feel right. The seller sent me an email saying it was packaged and ready to go and seemed very pushy to get his money.

What do you guys think I should do? Options? Do you think Ebay could help?

Originally posted by yodakiller1138@Jan 24 2006, 08:54 PM
I can tell from the pic that the shroud and the reflector are real. The clamp looks too new to me. Something doesn't feel right. The seller sent me an email saying it was packaged and ready to go and seemed very pushy to get his money.

What do you guys think I should do? Options? Do you think Ebay could help?
[snapback]1167247[/snapback]​

You could e-mail him and ask for a pic of the interior. Let him know that at least one auction has turned out to be a fraud. If it's genuine he shouldn't have a problem verifying it's autheticity.

David.

At this point it really doesn't matter. You've entered into a contract to buy it. I suggest you follow through with the deal.

If it's not real, send it back and get payal/cc to charge back what you paid.

Would be nice to see larger pics, but I am fairly certain that everything seen is authentic MPP. As for the clamp, I can tell that at least the lever is authentic, so probably the rest is too. If you're not interested in this one please let me know.

Not to sound like a jerk, but this is stuff you should have researched BEFORE you bid, won and committed to buy. You made a deal, if you didn't do the proper research before hand tough luck.

Getting eBay involved, whether this guy is a scam or not, is going to hurt the both of you and make you look like an idiot being concerned this stuff at this point.

Look before you leap, both ways before you cross the street, and do your research BEFORE you buy.

And before you all get the ropes and torches, I must say that I am a firm believer in SELF RESPONSIBILITY. 'nuff said.

You're right you do sound like a jerk . I'm asking for positive advice and feedback .I really don't need any negativity on yours or anyone elses part. I own 2 real MPP's so I am very familiar with what they look like. Unless you examine a piece on Ebay in person it's hard to tell what you're getting and all the research in the world will do you no good. All you have is the sellers word. This kind of scam is going to happen more and more as these replicas hit the market.

Keep the ADVICE coming, but keep it POSITIVE PLEASE.

How is berating him as to what he should have done as opposed to responding to his question helping to advance this thread? He didn't ask for peoples opinions on how he conducted his transaction, he asked for help idetifying the accuracy of the part. Your comment is purely designed make him look foolish and as such is very unwelcome. You would have been much better off simply not posting.
Joe's comment specifically references Yodakillers concern about sending payment and Joe correctly advises that to not do so would be an error.

My comment was not designed to make him look foolish. I was merely trying to point out that, accurate or not, he bought it and now is floundering on the payment because he isn't sure if it's genuine. And while I understand that there are plenty of scams out there, and want to see no one hurt by them, he should follow through with his obligation. Then he can deal with it as suggested above, if it's not real then send it back, get refund etc...

My point was to help him and others avoid this kind of delema by finding out what you need to know before you commit to buy. I can't help it if you get defensive about it, it's one of the things that I am having a hard time understanding about the prop and forum communities. You invest so much time and attention to details on the props you build and buy, but have no tollerance on advice for how you conduct yourself as a person. This is one of my flaws and am working on improving it.

So yes you are right, I should have probably kept my mouth shut and avoided this, but I'm not intentionally being a jerk, if you or anyone else felt like a fool from it then you have to look inside yourself and ask why. I'm not here to pick fights, I just want people to take a little self responsibility to help avoid other situations like this.

Sorry if I offended, but I stand by my words. No harm, no foul intended. We're all in this together and I, as much as I may seem the hard ass, don't want to see people get screwed and am not that bad of a person. I'll stick to posting about the stuff I'm building and avoid these types of situations in the future.

My sincerest appologies. Good luck with the MPP.

I did what Krel Jedi suggested. Got back pics and it looks like we've got a REAL MPP. Serial numbers and everything. The seller was totally understanding about my concerns. It would have been nice if he had put the pics that he sent me in the auction to begin with, but what can you do. Am proceeding with the payment. Thanks for the advice guys.

Scott :D

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back