is it possible to upscale a general model kit?

agliarept

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
hi

I'ts been my dream to build a large model of the lost in Space robot movie kit since seeing the film.

my question is this, is it possible to take the model kit and somehow upscale the pieces say 100% larger using 3d printing? This would be a 1 off project i'd like to have done but not sure if its even possible. have any of you modelers ever done something like this?

being a personal 1 off, not for sale project, is it something the community has seen done?

It is possible. But to upscale the parts they first have to be drawn out in a CAD program. Then you can scale it to any size you want. But then you still have to have it printed. Alot of work if youve never done it before. Not to mention alot of money.

The act of getting an existing kit and rescaling it would still be in breach of copyright, as I would expect the only real way of doing it would be to get the components scanned.

Re-sculpting the model digitally is a different matter I think (provided the design isn't copyrighted), and would probably be less of an issue, though obviously more work for you.

But I am not a lawyer...

M

thanks for the great feeback guys. sounds like i have a lot more researching to do in order make my dream robot build.

If it were a breach of contract this whole site would be shut down. last time i looked we all build things. I would nt buy a kit and cast it and sell it as your own. thats a No No. but using a kit to design your own upscaled version. i dont think theres anything wrong with that. stealing and recasting is what everyone has a problem with. we all use reference. i bought a battle ship kit and chopped the hull to upscale a model i was doing.

So moral of the story. dont recast. dont steal. but lets see where this goes. im sure there will be more Opinions

Often, kit makers will incorporate a minor 'flaw' or inaccuracy simply to provide evidence of direct copying of their products. Usually it is something that would be found if independent research & design was being done. That said, the state of the art in replication tech is such that the whole 'copyright infringement' or just pure 'intellectual theft' is only going to get worse. However, in this particular situation where you are using a kit as 'reference' to create your own work for your own use (and not for a commercial effort) then there should be no issue. After all, the maker would likely rather you buy one of their kits to use than not.

The crux of all this hoo-yaa is whether you are going to be profiting financially from someone else' work, or otherwise not providing credit where it is due. IN short, don't steal someone's fame & fortune!

One technical issue that bears on this question is whether you could actually scan directly from a smaller component and have it perform appropriately in a larger size. Some changes to the result would normally be required just to address fabrication issues that are size-dependent (wall thickness of injection molded components is a case in point.) With 3D printing, material usage concerns are particularly pertinent. Also, parts breakdown may be less efficient when changing over from one media to another: so the sage advice already given to create your own 'masters' using the original for reference would be the best (and probably most satisfying) method.

Sometimes it is best to ask permission first in any case...

Regards, Robert

cheers guys!

just to re interate, i have no intention on profiting on this. I simply want to build a larger version of the robot for myself for display. Being an artists myself, i can't sell somebody else's work.

Yeah, that was my impression. I've done some builds using smaller kits as '3D' references myself. If it were me, I'd simply scratch-build it. It really is easier than you'd think. Granted, the 2002(?) movie robot is quite complex but seems a lot of details are repetitive (like the track components) so candidates for casting from single masters. Definitely would be a challenge, though.
R/ Robert

Years ago, I drew up plans for a 1:350 TOS Enterprise based upon upscaled measurements of the 1:1000 kit. At the time, the plan was that My father and I would use various materials and skills to translate my plans into an actual model.
We never got further than the plans but when the 1:350th kit came out, I pulled out my plans and compared. Aside from a few minor differences, it was shockingly close.

I'ts been my dream to build a large model of the lost in Space robot movie kit since seeing the film.

I'd suggest joining the groups that build 1:1 LIS robots. i'm sure they will have more specific ideas on the best ways to achieve what you want. (eg parts suppliers)
www.b9robotbuildersclub.com
they probably mostly do the old version, but i'm sure someone's considered building movie version.

Last edited:
I don't know, KW - the OLIS fans are kinda purists in general; many view the modern movie 'version' with derision. Plus, building a 1:1 of the 'new' Robot would be a trick...
R/ Robert

If it were me, I'd simply scratch-build it. It really is easier than you'd think.

I fully agree. That would also open the door for improvements because you could put much more detail into the build and prevent crude details which would make everything look like a toy (a blunt edge does not get sharper after enlarging). In addition, you are able to correct any flaws in the original kit.

good advice, i think i am going to plan it out and do it by hand. i agree it will be a lot more fun to do it by myself. :)

The act of getting an existing kit and rescaling it would still be in breach of copyright, as I would expect the only real way of doing it would be to get the components scanned.

i swear it was me who invented the wheel. hand on bible. only found out later someone else had, before me.

i think no company would have a problem if you buy one of thier items and upscale it to make a larger copy for yourself.
problems WILL arise if you start selling them commercialy.

i think no company would have a problem if you buy one of thier items and upscale it to make a larger copy for yourself.
problems WILL arise if you start selling them commercialy.

I have to disagree jarroth, I think a lot of companies would have a problem, but it all depends on how that 'up-scaling' was done.

In my eyes scanning a model is just mouldmaking/casting, and changing the scale is no real arguement in a 'but its not the same' situation (after all, if i remould and recast any kit, it's not going to be exactly the same size...thank you shrinkage).

Using the kit as reference is probably a bit of a greyer area ( the company might lay claim to the design of the KIT as well as the final model's aesthetic).

I do understand COMPLETELY that we are not talking about this project being offered for sale, but that doesn't really change the morals behind copyright infringement. It does mean that it shouldn't be frowned upon as a 'recasting' issue though.

All that being said, I still think agliarept should go ahead with the project, especially if your planning on making drawings and building it from scratch. Being part of this forum I think anyone who has scratchbuilt anything (myself included) is probably in breech of copyright...

...technically...

Minifig

I'm just being the devil's advocate here, but technically, most of us are recasters.How many of us have recast a part out of a model kit to replicate it? Its only a part of the whole model, but each piece was engineered by one or more people. So each piece can be viewed as a piece of art. Its an issue of degree. The person who does this, and profits from it is much worse than a person who casts and incorporates kit parts into their models. Just because you mistakenly take a pen from the bank, it doesn't make you a bank robber,...but "technically"...you are.

However, at some point everyone gets tired of looking at their creation, and might decide to sell it. If so, does that make it wrong because they are profitting from it?

:lol:facepalm

TazMan2000

I have to disagree jarroth, I think a lot of companies would have a problem, but it all depends on how that 'up-scaling' was done.

In my eyes scanning a model is just mouldmaking/casting, and changing the scale is no real arguement in a 'but its not the same' situation (after all, if i remould and recast any kit, it's not going to be exactly the same size...thank you shrinkage).

Using the kit as reference is probably a bit of a greyer area ( the company might lay claim to the design of the KIT as well as the final model's aesthetic).

I do understand COMPLETELY that we are not talking about this project being offered for sale, but that doesn't really change the morals behind copyright infringement. It does mean that it shouldn't be frowned upon as a 'recasting' issue though.

All that being said, I still think agliarept should go ahead with the project, especially if your planning on making drawings and building it from scratch. Being part of this forum I think anyone who has scratchbuilt anything (myself included) is probably in breech of copyright...

...technically...

Minifig

that would mean a shedlaod of lawsuits against most of the modelbuilders. even if they dont realy like it, there aint much to do against hobby modelers. all the replica builders of delorean time machines, general lee chargers, enterpise builders and so on. ow, bet Disney will love all the han solo blasters and ligtsabers :p
before interweb i made different sorts of lighfixtures out of car an bike parts. (still make them even) never thought anything about it. than internet came on and i posted pics. some company i never heard of or seen work of started claiming i copied their designs, wich arent even for sale in europe. they threatend me with lawsuit, i dared them. well he did try to but it never got into any court.
its illegal to copy DVDs/Blurays, but perfectly legal to make one copy to watch at home. kinda same thing to me

so they might dont like it but what can they do?

As if there is any difference in principle between copying a prop, versus copying a product? A prop is just a product they never sold to the public. The IP is still owned.

Re-sculpting the model digitally is a different matter I think (provided the design isn't copyrighted), and would probably be less of an issue, though obviously more work for you.

But I am not a lawyer...

M

Legally, there's no difference between scanning a model and re-sculpting it digitally or otherwise. How you make a copy is irrelevant. What's relevant is whether your resulting copy is "substantially similar" to the original protected work.

Having said that, I'd be astonished -- nay, stunned and agape, even -- if you got into trouble for one-offing a kit for your collection, regardless of how you did it. Yes, it's technically infringing, but I've never, ever heard of copies for personal use being litigated. This entire forum is a Mecca for people making one-offs for personal use. In fact, it's arguably fair use. Of course, by "arguably," I mean "you get to argue that in court, or rather the lawyers you're paying thousands of dollars to get to argue it."

I should add that none of this should be construed as legal advice for any particular case. You rely on the above at your own risk. :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back