Iron Patriot Build - 3d Print

Man, I was was considering buying from do3d, but if their files aren't ready to print I'm going to have to look elsewhere for Iron Patriot files. It'd be my first 3d print build and I don't want to get bogged down in trying to do too much.

you need to email do3d to get the prices, they then seem to make them up, They did modify the files when I pointed out some of the issues and the replacements where fine. But as a first big print I wouldn't be trying this one!! The Maxcrft files on etsy are much better, maybe not as accurate but they have been created to actually print and be wearable.

Anyway, some more progress pics, I'm kinda rushing now as its first outing is next weekend :eek: I've added some pull straps to the abs as they are super tight to get over my hips and I damaged them tugging them on :mad: when I get a chance I'll print them again slightly wider

sexy boots

JYq0jqz.jpg

strapping

81Byecl.jpg

arm strapped

s8IwdO3.jpg

side on

04d8o81.jpg

I try to make it as easy as possible to put on, so the abs and thighs are permanently strapped together, the arms are also permanently strapped, its a pain to transport of course but is much quicker to get on and off at events.

had to speed up the work this weekend as I'm due at an event next week in this armour :eek:

so attached the gun, it didn't look that big off the chest, but bigger is better eh?

iMT78hL.jpg

a vanity pic

QanIaB4.jpg

DimV4Z4.jpg

now the 2nd test fit

ICAQKTO.jpg

the strapping was twisting the chest around once I put it on, and also pulled the front down too much and the back up, so had to modify it

jygimRM.jpg

qcxSpXK.jpg

0BXAbMJ.jpg

knocked up a quick test rig to make it easier to strap as now the gun is on it doesn't lay flat (I really should have put the gun on last)

kyRCNl5.jpg

VthJvEs.jpg

Thats better, now you'll have to wait till next week for the final pics ;)

Its been a pretty long build, learnt a lot, used a hell of a lot of paint :( many multiples the cost of actually printing it, not sure I'd like to do another one but I think its turned out ok, I know where every flaw and inaccuracy is and that kinda winds me up but I had to make a few compromises so it was easier to wear and I'd actually be able to walk in it, rather then woddling like a duck in my war machine.

Could you make a slotted receiver type thing to lock the gun into? Add some magnets and that could be easier

I could :) but one thing we learnt when doing events KISS (keep it simple stupid) on war machine I had the gun fully moveable and motorised, along with the eyes on a finger switch, looked brilliant on the workbench, in reality the gun kept hitting me and I couldn't press the finger switch most of the time, the wiring got pulled apart, it was a pain to connect things up and a whole load of other issues, plus the general public love pulling things off, hitting it, kids tug on it, people with those 'free hugs' sign run over and hug you and break things (yes that happened) etc etc so this one is purely to look good at comicons in photos. Can't be bothered entering competitions (not that 3d prints ever win anyway)

We have a few other plans being worked on at the moment ;) mums the word

some random pics from the weekend event, all went well until the very last pose of the day when some idiot decided they would barge past us and walked right into the cannon and broke the bracket :( sometimes people really p**** me off!!!!

kNMlCCp.jpg

7DDcXMF.jpg

zT7X4QE.jpg

UJSZy7C.jpg

QJMSB3a.jpg

Zzj8aGD.jpg

ycr5FrZ.jpg

HljAPAH.jpg

RHUXcFc.jpg

2i2PwGQ.jpg

j6oObYn.jpg

gzRTi8Z.jpg

Cvq6UeK.jpg

Cs3AY6T.jpg

7o8PdXV.jpg

pT6cCTd.jpg

Z9Fvfva.jpg

aQHggdJ.mp4

Z9Fvfva.jpg

That's awesome Too bad for dummies...

The iron man looked nice too! Makes me wanna finish mine now! (even though it's ways off)

Well its been a while :)

This print has been 'challenging' shall we say, its obvious no one has printed these files before and I've had a bit of toing and froing with do3d to fix issues with them, the gun for instance was paper thin and also missing a way to connect the top to bottom.

They have also not been designed with printing or wearing in mind, so I've had to do some pretty big mods to 1. get the thing to print, 2. get it so you can actually put it on

This has resulted in the chest section being printed 4 times :( that's a serious amount of filament and printing time wasted

lets just say my patients with do3d is wearing pretty thin!! (sorry guys, I love your designs but PLEASE stop using your paying customers to do your quality control!! if you spent as much time checking the files as you did adding serial numbers and your logos all over them they would be ace)

anyway printing is complete

First off - great work!!

Second, I have to agree, I do love Do3D's work, the models look great and the details are pretty spot on, but I know when considering a build (I learned this the hard way of course) that I have to build in potentially hours of digital work to make the models actually print & assemble ready (not just body scaling). If I had even a penny for ever gram of wasted filament...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back