Iron Man MK XLV 3D Print

Looking good so far! for my Mk 45 bucket I used Duplicolor inferno red met and I'm still working on finding the perfect paint for the gold sections.

That's kind of the issue. I can't get those dulpicolor products in belgium. I'll have to import them and that would cost more than the spraycans themselves.

If I have the correct color code (RAL) or the name of the color if it's related to a car brand, I might be able to let someone mix it for me.
The MK45 does use a different color than the previous models, so I think Nissan sunburst f.e. will be too metallic or too light?

Leylander nissan sunburst gold if put over metalic silver base you can put as many layers over it it will go darker more coats you apply 2 coats would give a lighter shade 4 coats darker ect i used 4 coats on 45

sent from samsung

Last edited by a moderator:
I've asked a paint shop if they could get it and they have no idea which color that is...

I'll go with gold metallic. If someone can check the color codes I mentioned earlier and see if that comes close to the MK45?

I used to work at an automotive store mixing paint to match factory specs and the best advice I can give is to bring in an example of what you are looking for physically into the shop so they can try and color match it to a swatch. These place have binders full of color samples that you can go through and if they have something to work with I can't see any reason why they can't mix up the color for you. It is a pain to bring something down to them in person but unless someone id's the specific Mk 45 ,code that is the best my brain can come up with.

The lower back and hip is printed. It's a pain to get this on. I have to take many shapes to slide it in place. Hopefully I can find a solution to that.
Upside is that the suit won't look disformed or anything. It sits flush.

Photo 23-06-16 15 44 00.jpgPhoto 23-06-16 15 44 12.jpg

The abs are now loaded in the printer. Once they are done and testfitted, I will see if I can open up the lower back a bit by heating it up and bending. (whilst still making the abs fit)

I was thinking of some micro swiss stuff, I have a Monoprice Maker which is the clone of the Duplicator I3

They actually make a hot end replacement the Duplicator I3 which would make even better prints!

I'm very happy with the microswiss hot end upgrade (Nozzle, filament guide, cooling block)
It does need some tweaking in your settings and you should most certainly do a PID tune.

The quality of my prints improved massively afterwards.

Photo 25-06-16 14 34 19.jpg

Abs are printed. I changed the way the parts are connected. I took the 2lower pieces from the lower back and connected it to the bottom piece of the abs.

I left that seperated from the rest of the abs so I can get everything to fit easier. If I want the abs to fit perfectly I have to squize myself in it and use stronfg magnets. So I could either print larger abs or us large elastic bands to connect the abs to the lower back.

I started my Mark 45 build about a month ago. I'm print MZX's model and its great! I haven't posted any pics yet because mine is a super slow build. But once I finish printing the back, I'll start a thread. Is the back flaps on do3d's model separate or is the back one solid piece?

Quick question!

I received my spray cans for today. I have a grey and red color which are gloss and a metallic gold.

If I want a light metallic effect on my red and silver color, do I spray a basecoat of gold, followed by one or two coates of red/grey?

Quick question!

I received my spray cans for today. I have a grey and red color which are gloss and a metallic gold.

If I want a light metallic effect on my red and silver color, do I spray a basecoat of gold, followed by one or two coates of red/grey?

Which brand did you decide to go with? Are they enamel or Lacquer?

Haven't work with Motip? I would try a test with the grey under the red and under the gold first on a small failed print. For mine I just use a grey primer and that seems to work fine.

I have used a grey primer. If I check screens of the MK45, it looks like the red is non-metallic and the grey and gold are slightly metallic.

So I am not sure on how to proceed. I could make the red and grey low metallic when I spray gold underneath. I've seen the technique on older builds.

(Chrome as base layer, red on top etc)

Just not sure on how many coats I have to apply to get a light metallic effect. I'll try on a test piece

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back