Iron Man MK XLV 3D Print

Leylander

Hi,

I made the decision to abandon the pepakura build as I had some setbacks.

The new project will be a fully 3D printed MK XLV suit from the movie "The Avengers: Age Of Ultron".

I will leave the other posts as they were, but this new build starts from p4 onwards.

Thanks for reading!

Hi everyone,

I'd like to post the progress of my first pep build on this forum. As I might need some advice now and then, I'm sure I'll find the solutions here and maybe some of you are willing to assist :)

I chose to work on the MK IV suit. I like the design and it's not too complicated as it is my first ever pep build.

What I intend to do with the electronics is a moving faceplate and chin, LED eyes, Hand repulsors (just glowing, not shooting) and 3D print the pieces for the Arc reactor.

I already found some good tutorials and info on RPF.

First I made the Biceps to check if the scale was good.

3.jpg4.jpg

That seemed to fit pretty well. Enough room so I can easily slide my arm into it and not too much so it does not swivel.

Next is the Chestpiece. Also for the same reason. It is one of the biggest parts in the suit and if it fits, so will most other parts in this scale (I have an average height/wheight)

5.jpg8.jpg7.jpg10.jpg9.jpg

After the Chest was completed, I added the supports and checked overall sizes.

11.jpg

I already have some progress on the back piece. I noticed that some parts in this piece do not match perfectly for some reason.

Hopefully it does not become too much of an issue later on when more pieces are added to the back.

I also have an FB page for those who would like to follow: https://www.facebook.com/IronManMarkVIIBuild/

(Yes, the link says MKVII, but FB won't allow me to change it for some reason)

Thanks for reading!

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Iron Man MK IV Pepakura Build

There's something seriously wrong with the pep file I'm using for the back. Just check these alignment issues:

I had to cut the top to make it fit.
Photo 25-02-16 22 34 14.jpg

Suddenly a part seems to be way to small.
Photo 25-02-16 22 34 21.jpg

Which causes the next part to be out of alignment.
Photo 25-02-16 22 34 26.jpg

Did anyone else have issues with this file?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vhno4r2770on1s/Back.pdo?dl=0

Several parts in this pep file were also overlapping. So it seems that the unfolding process was already wacky.

Is there another/better pep file for the MK IV back piece?

I had hoped for a little bit of feedback, but nonetheless, I have put aside the back piece and started with the collar plate:

10400111_1114279058605562_2730016867683082164_n.jpg

With that done, I'm working on the lower left arm. Updates will follow soon

which back peice are you using robos files i have it which i used to build my mk4

I don't think it is robos. There's actually no author on this file. Not that I am aware of. Do you have a link to that file?

Btw, you can check the file I used in the dropbox link.

I don't think it is robos. There's actually no author on this file. Not that I am aware of. Do you have a link to that file?

Btw, you can check the file I used in the dropbox link.
Pm me your addy i will send you the file i used [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

To me it looks like you just got off somewhere along your gluing. In the second pic of post #2 it looks like everything would line up if it wasn't misaligned. What's the other end of that seam with 376 and 378 on it look like?

It also looks like you haven't cut lines like 818, 825, and 821. I know it looks like it's pointless because it's basically just going to join back to itself, but these are usually relief cuts that allow the paper to form properly. Since it doesn't stretch or shrink it needs a little help with compound curves. If it has a really skinny tab like 832, I just cut along both the cut line and the fold line and then when everything else is glued I put a backer across that seam made from the same cardstock.

Just in general I would suggest really trying hard to get your glued edges tight and even. A .5mm misalignment over several joints can really add up.

-Rog

To me it looks like you just got off somewhere along your gluing. In the second pic of post #2 it looks like everything would line up if it wasn't misaligned. What's the other end of that seam with 376 and 378 on it look like?

It also looks like you haven't cut lines like 818, 825, and 821. I know it looks like it's pointless because it's basically just going to join back to itself, but these are usually relief cuts that allow the paper to form properly. Since it doesn't stretch or shrink it needs a little help with compound curves. If it has a really skinny tab like 832, I just cut along both the cut line and the fold line and then when everything else is glued I put a backer across that seam made from the same cardstock.

Just in general I would suggest really trying hard to get your glued edges tight and even. A .5mm misalignment over several joints can really add up.

-Rog

The 376 and 378 is were it all started. If you see 491 in the corner, that side was glued together nicely. And then the edge where 376 and 378 are located was way too short. This resulted in bad alignment and the gap between 817 and 819. As you can see, the left piece is also too slim. It doesn't match the outer edge eventhough 382 and so on are alligned correctly.

I try to be meticulous with my glueing so I have good allignment overall. What also happened in this pep file is overlap. You can see that with tab 832. This is happening all over the place. I didn't catch that before printing. But even when trying to fix that with Join/Disjoin faces, it came out al wrong. I had to create too many extra tabs and pieces just to get it rigth. But that does not solve the fact that multiple peaces seem to be off in this pep.

You have a point that misalignment can mess up the whole pep :). I really try to avoid that. Sometimes I have to redo a few tabs because the hot glue dried too fast. But I always redo those to be sure :)

I am totally, totally with you in that some pepakura files are a bit messed up, although the worst I've encountered is probably asymmetrical divisions on helmets, which makes their overall shape lopsided, and of course the annoying tabs that cross each other on the print so they're physically impossible to cut out individually.

So I have not run across one where the program shrunk a part for no apparent reason, which is why I feel like you can probably figure it out. If not, that file should definitely be flagged as a rotten egg.

But, just so I know that due diligence has been done, I'll borrow your picture and draw all over it:

r2AGqQW.jpg

First, I'm concerned that the corners where the red arrows are isn't lined up. Starting with 823 you can't even see the number, much less the dotted line. I think the reason for this is that the part in the middle of the screen hasn't been shaped enough. The cuts should be made on the green lines and the dotted line should be scored that's attached to 832. I think the program kind of wanted to make a relief cut at 835/837 (the numbers just floating there in space) so you might want to make one there. Then you really ought to be able to pull the corners together where the blue arrows are. Finally, that seam along 822/823 should be lined up correctly. I think that shape needs to be domed out more to accomplish that.

I personally like to use white glue (Elmer's here, probably PVA there) because it grabs and holds really well and gives you a few more seconds to position. If you just barely coat the paper it doesn't even wrinkle. Use what you're comfortable with, but if you haven't tried it you might like it.

If I'm not understanding, I think it would help if I could see more of that part, especially in the bottom left corner of the picture I cropped my diagram from.

-Rog

The piece you highilghted in red is actually where I stopped. That part isn't attached yet. I worked from front to back. The piece on top of the picture was attached to the left side (ok a slight deviation on the tabs there, but that could not cause the massive gap on 817 and others)

I should indeed cut the green parts, but I doubt that would give me enoug room to position it correctly. I'll try your tips when I pick this up again. I hope that will get me back on track with the back ;)

The piece you highilghted in red is actually where I stopped. That part isn't attached yet. I worked from front to back. The piece on top of the picture was attached to the left side (ok a slight deviation on the tabs there, but that could not cause the massive gap on 817 and others)

I should indeed cut the green parts, but I doubt that would give me enoug room to position it correctly. I'll try your tips when I pick this up again. I hope that will get me back on track with the back ;)
Leylander did you get the files ok not sure if you got my email the back file is same for mark 4 and 6 [emoji106]

@Leylander did you get the files ok not sure if you got my email the back file is same for mark 4 and 6 [emoji106]

Yeah mate I got your mail :). Thx.

It is actually the same file as mine. I did not see robo's signature in my file. It was off screen. I'll redo the back and have a good look before I glue anything.

Looking awesome! Pretty clean work! Keep it up, don't worry too much if the piece doesn't all go together perfectly. At the end of the day it's still just paper and glue, it can be adjusted. Looks really good so far, are you doing it all in pep and fiberglass?

Looking awesome! Pretty clean work! Keep it up, don't worry too much if the piece doesn't all go together perfectly. At the end of the day it's still just paper and glue, it can be adjusted. Looks really good so far, are you doing it all in pep and fiberglass?

Thanks man! Yeah I am going to redo the whole back piece. Since I don't see other builders with this issue, it must be my doing :)

I'm going for all pep, fiberglass, bondo, etc.

One forearm done.

12814295_1116245295075605_7081476676854025571_n.jpg12794394_1116245328408935_711717987339899968_n.jpg

I do wonder how it works. This file is marked as Left and Right. But it's not symmetrical. How do you go about making this left or right?

Go on! I suggest you to check also the pelvis, is the most critical part of the suit in terms of proportions.
Don't mind too much about the papercraft, don't waste time: you will fix all the issues with some putty at the right moment.

Go on! I suggest you to check also the pelvis, is the most critical part of the suit in terms of proportions.
Don't mind too much about the papercraft, don't waste time: you will fix all the issues with some putty at the right moment.

Allright I'll keep that in mind! Thanks for the tips :)

Just mirror the part

That's what I thought. I had doubts as there was a L and R file for the biceps. But I'll mirror it. thx ;)

Thanks man! Yeah I am going to redo the whole back piece. Since I don't see other builders with this issue, it must be my doing :)

I'm going for all pep, fiberglass, bondo, etc.

Nice! Can't wait to see more progress on this build! Reminds me of when I did a fiberglass pep build. It's too cold to work outside during the winter months, so I switched to foam. Maybe one day I try pep again. Bonus points for having the focus and drive to finish a pep build, those can take a while!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back