Cri7e

Hello everybody, long time no see!

After finishing my Mk 40 "Shotgun" suit almost entirely without posting anything on here I thought for my next armor it was about time to share some progress, knowledge and maybe some tricks with the community.

I am currently in the process of 3D printing a Mk 46 Iron Man armor. Yes I know Im a little bit late but work has been keeping me busy and I can only work on cosplay in my spare time. Having said that I ,to this date, think that the Mk 46 is the best looking Iron Man Suit and that includes even the newer ones.
The files I am using are from MaxCrft, Im sure a lot of you guys know him. He does great work and the files are very affordable. In addition I create my own 3D files to add some extra detail to the suit, for example the Arc Reactor, vent inlets or the helmet.

The printers I use are an OG Creality Cr-10 with a 0.6mm nozzle and for the fine details I just recently purchased an Elegoo Mars Pro Resin printer. Both of them are very affordable and so far haven't given me any trouble whatsoever.

IMG_20200223_2012149_2.jpg
IMG_20200223_2016526_2.jpg
IMG_20200211_1911138_2.jpg

Stay tuned for frequent updates as I am really motivated to continue this build currently.

I love the chest plate and reactor from the Mk 40, and plan on designing my suit to imitate that portion. Sad to learn there aren't more in-progress shots of it.

Looks like you've got quite a head start on printing parts out! Are you doing 0.6mm layer heights as well? Would you recommend others get an even bigger nozzle or is 0.6mm the limit of how far you'd be willing to go quality wise?

I love the chest plate and reactor from the Mk 40, and plan on designing my suit to imitate that portion. Sad to learn there aren't more in-progress shots of it.

Looks like you've got quite a head start on printing parts out! Are you doing 0.6mm layer heights as well? Would you recommend others get an even bigger nozzle or is 0.6mm the limit of how far you'd be willing to go quality wise?

I still have a lot of progress photos of the Mk 40 on my pc, just never got around posting them anywhere but if you are interested I might think about it, or I just dm you some of them! :)

Im using the 0.6mm nozzle with a 0.4mm layer height and relatively high print speeds. Quality is for sure much worse than with my 0.4mm nozzle and slower print speeds but since I have to filler and sand it anyways I dont really mind that. For example the faceplate printed in about 5h and the back of the helmet in 9h. I would much rather have shorter print times than a improved quality since I have to sand it anyways. My Elegoo Mars is a real game changer aswell, printing basically finished parts that I can put on the armor right away.

Because of the ongoing corona virus epidemic here in Europe (I live in Germany) I was asked to work from home for the next couple of weeks just to be safe. This has lead to a massive increase in prints since now I can let my printers run during daytime (I never let them run unattended or when I´m not at home). The last part of the abs section is gonna print tomorrow on my Cr-10 and all fingers are done printing on my resin printer. Im gonna start with the palm tomorrow which will probably be one of the biggest parts to print on my Elegoo Mars Pro.
The base of the hands are these rippled gloves that I found a couple years ago and they work really well for Iron Man Hands. I already used them on my Mk 40 and they look great.
For self motivation I am currently reading Adam Savages´ book "Every tool´s a hammer" which I can really recommend to everybody making stuff. Its a great source for inspiration, tips and tricks.

Talk to you soon, Cri7e

IMG_20200318_1959459.jpg

Progress on this project is going full steam ahead, I am currently printing the right and left palms and am amazed by the quality my resin printer delivers! It is no comparison to my FDM machine (admittedly I am using very fast print speeds to cut down on time) and I am always amazed by the results! I started using Ellegoo´s own water washable resin and I gotta admit it works much better than the previous one I used from a different brand!

I ordered spray filler and the first batch of colors that I will be trying out on the gloves to see if I like them. Plan is to do most of the painting with my airbrush but we´ll see if I can see myself doing that or if I switch back to spraycans instead. I honestly prefer working with acrylics more than with aerosol based paint but these Vallejo acrylics I ordered are quite expensive.....

Anyways enjoy the pictures and talk to you soon!

IMG_20200514_1743416.jpg

IMG_20200513_1808417_2.jpg

Progress on this project is going full steam ahead, I am currently printing the right and left palms and am amazed by the quality my resin printer delivers! It is no comparison to my FDM machine (admittedly I am using very fast print speeds to cut down on time) and I am always amazed by the results! I started using Ellegoo´s own water washable resin and I gotta admit it works much better than the previous one I used from a different brand!

I ordered spray filler and the first batch of colors that I will be trying out on the gloves to see if I like them. Plan is to do most of the painting with my airbrush but we´ll see if I can see myself doing that or if I switch back to spraycans instead. I honestly prefer working with acrylics more than with aerosol based paint but these Vallejo acrylics I ordered are quite expensive.....

Anyways enjoy the pictures and talk to you soon!

View attachment 1298461
View attachment 1298462

I printed all my hand/palm parts in resin for a MK47 I’m working on. Love the ease of clean up.

I printed all my hand/palm parts in resin for a MK47 I’m working on. Love the ease of clean up.
I totally agree, just some sanding, maybe one or two coats of filler primer and you are ready to paint! I just wish I had a bigger resin printer so I can print larger parts LOL

So these last couple of weeks blickfangQ2 and I have been talking a lot and sharing lots of knowledge and information back and forth about our Iron Man Cosplays which was incredibly inspiring and motivating (German Cosplay Community represent LOL). I finished sanding and priming the left hand and palm patch which now is all ready for paint. I already ordered the red paint blickfangQ2 recommended and did some color tests with Vallejo Metal colors in Magnesium and Gold.I really like both and am going to use these as my colors of choice. Next step will be painting the left hand and palm patch and starting on the right one aswell. Planning on starting to sand the underarms aswell. Probably gonna use some wood putty first and then sand since I dont see myself sanding the raw PLA at all.

IMG_20200518_1908320.jpg

IMG_20200519_2035326.jpg

IMG_20200519_2035448.jpg

Some minor setbacks due to the fact that my filler primer reacted with some old primer that was already on there, oh well nothing that some ellbow grease cant fix... :p

IMG_20200523_1654289.jpg

IMG_20200523_1654423.jpg

IMG_20200517_1932400.jpg

So today was adjustment day. Due to the fact that I printed the chest in 100% size and then later realized most of the parts fit better in 90% size I had to do some adjustments to make it fit together properly since I didnt want to spend another 4 days reprinting the chest.
I am very happy with the results and the look of the suit so far! I really love the sleek design and angry look of the Mk46. I also modified the biceps a little bit with a hot air gun since it looked too round in the picture and 3D file in my opinion.

Today the cod plate will finish printing. Im still debating if I want to make the cod and abs one piece or not. Will have to test moveability first in order to decide on that. But I think it would look better.

Next on my list is the neck, which I want to print and finish in PLA and normal putty and then make a plaster mold of in order to cast it in latex rubber. That will be a first for me so we will see how it turns out. Any tips and tricks are very welcome since this is completely unknown territory for me. If this process goes well I will do more of the undersuit parts for the knees, elbows and shoulders in a similar way.

As always thank you for checking in and talk to you guys soon!

IMG_20200524_1259501_2.jpg

Some painting progress on both of the hands:

IMG_20200601_1136441.jpg

Started painting all of the fingers, palm and palmpatch, first with a base coat of silver and after that Ford Toreador Red from Moltona.

IMG_20200601_1544319.jpg

After finishing the base layer I added the grey on top of the fingers and also the gold on the upper part of the hand.

IMG_20200601_1655377.jpg

All of the parts for both hands painted and ready for clear coat! I really love how it turned out!

IMG_20200611_1416427.jpg

Unfortunately on the clear coat I ran into some weird paint issues again where the paint underneath the clear coat started to bubble up. Its weird, I never had paint issues ever before and now its the second time this happens in this build. Oh well! I was getting rid of some old silver spray cans maybe that was the problem. I also ordered some new clear coat and we will see if that solves the issue. The even weirder part is that the bubbling issue only occurred on the small finger parts, the lager parts came out perfect, have a look:

IMG_20200611_1422285.jpg

The final steps for the hands are clear coating the rest of the parts, weathering with some water solvable oil paints and final assembly so stay tuned :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back