Iron Man Mark VI WIP - polyethylene and rivets - solo build by a 13 year old

Re: Iron Man Mark VI WIP - trashcans and rivets - solo build by a 13 year old

I'm....flabbergasted. Not only by the work you're doing but by your amazing spelling, grammar and your ability to express your thoughts and process on this build in such a coherent manner. Seriously. There are people on this forum who could really learn a thing or two from you. Also you're attention to detail and patience is amazing. Great work so far and it'll be great to see it when it's finished!

I'm....flabbergasted. Not only by the work you're doing but by your amazing spelling, grammar and your ability to express your thoughts and process on this build in such a coherent manner. Seriously. There are people on this forum who could really learn a thing or two from you. Also you're attention to detail and patience is amazing. Great work so far and it'll be great to see it when it's finished!

Thanks so much for your wonderful compliment!:$

I was in the school spelling bee for 5 years in a row and won 3rd place in 4th grade. I also aced every spelling test in elementary school.
I find it annoying when people misspell words or if their sentences don't make sense.
So that's my grammatical skills and experiences in a nutshell.

As for my attention to detail, I also find it irritating when I see a creation and the creator left an imperfection. Whenever I see imperfections in somebody's creations, I always think to myself "I can do better than that!"
I notice the flaws in my own creations just as much as I notice the flaws in other people's creations. That is why I revise my components so fervently.

Last edited:

Views on my updated shoulder bell. I think i'm going to put the shoulder bell through one more revision since it still seems a bit off to me.

Pictures of the entire arm minus the shoulder bell so you can see the whole "family" together.

I know that I am missing that little part of the forearm as noted in the picture. I will add that part in later since it is not very urgent.

Planning to get some major part of the suit finalized and done to commemorate 9/11.

I am also doing a minor revision on the waist to make it movie accurate and the right height, so look forward to an update on that.

Tell me your opinions! :)

Last edited:
veryyyyy niiiiicccce.

Keep at it. Take lots of science, physics, math and graphics classes. You clearly have natural talent and would make great engineer some day.

veryyyyy niiiiicccce.

Keep at it. Take lots of science, physics, math and graphics classes. You clearly have natural talent and would make great engineer some day.

Thanks!

That's what I plan to do! :lol
I aspire to be an engineer when I am an adult since I am absolutely fantastic with anything mechanical. I'm learning how to do electrical things right now.

I completely skipped 8th grade math and went into PreAP Algebra. I'm doing pretty good in the class right now, and I do get better with time.

Last edited:
You are making great progress in such little time! This is looking amazing.How do you plan on hardening the cardboard?,resin or 2 part epoxy,or something like that?When I was 13 my favorite show was ROBOTECH and I use to dream of having a costume of one of the battle mechas.I think that's why I liked Ironman comics as a kid,it kind of reminds me of those machines.When I was 13, I never would think people other than professional movie prop makers would be able to create works like this.If you keep up with math and science your future as an engineer is "In the bag". (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

My suit is not going to be made out of cardboard. You should read my posts on the first page again so I don't have to explain this.

Last edited:
i'm 14 so its nice to see that there ARE others my age doing this kind ind of thing. love to fan idea :thumbsup. be sure to add a vent somewere in the torso to help the air circulate.

i'm 14 so its nice to see that there ARE others my age doing this kind ind of thing. love to fan idea :thumbsup. be sure to add a vent somewere in the torso to help the air circulate.

That suggestion was not necessary, as I have already planned the design of the entire suit, including vents.

So yeah, I don't need any suggestions on the design, but no offense or anything.:D
It's just that it's pretty useless when somebody tells my own thoughts back to me.

There are actually two big gaping spaces on both sides of the chestpiece if you look at the picture.

In addition to the fan, I will also have a series of concealed vents throughout the entire suit in order to keep the interior of the suit relatively cool.

Vent Locations:
Forearms
Armpits
Calves
Chest
Back

These vents will be hidden in the actual construction of the suit, making them nearly impossible to notice.

Last edited:
Got some electrical components for the suit tonight.

4 - White LED's
5 - 1K Ohm Resistors
1 - Spool of electrical solder

Still need to get 10 more LED's, an on/off switch for the fan and eye LED's, and some 9 Volt snap connectors.

Last edited:
New plan for the electronics.

My original plan was to have 28 LED's in the entire suit.
4 LED's for each hand repulsor
4 LED's for each jetboot repulsor
4 LED's for the arc reactor
4 LED's for each eye

My new plan is to cut down on costs and be more realistically thinking. Using 14 LED's in total.
3 LED's for each hand repulsor
4 LED's for the arc reactor
2 LED's for each eye

I discarded the idea of LED's in the feet and instead, i'm going to use glow paint for the feet. The reason behind my decision is that: Who is going to look at the bottom of my feet the whole time? and that I might damage the LED cluster in my feet if I jump or something. This cuts down on costs greatly as it eliminates two entire circuits. The glow paint should still offer a nice subtle glow as if my feet repulsors are slightly on. Nice things about the glow paint is, it will not need a circuit, which frees up space in the suit and will also be virtually impossible to damage or break.

Reason for the reduction in LED's in the hand repulsors is that the LED's I got have a brightness of 7000 mcd, so 3 LED's would be sufficient in achieving a bright hand repulsor. There would basically be no need for a 4th LED in the hands.

Reason for the reduction in LED's in the eyes is that 2 LED's should be able to illuminate the eyepieces quite nicely and the eyepieces are only a small part that the LED's need to light up. So there is no need for 4 LED's for each eyepiece. I don't want the eyepieces to be so bright that it's blinding, just enough so that it makes the polycarbonate lenses glow white.

Comment if you have anything to say on the electronics plan or if you have anything you want to suggest for electronics.

Last edited:
If you haven't already purchased them try these places, if you have them locally, like "The Dollar Tree"(everything for a buck!) or "$5 and Under"(Just like the sign says), you can find LED flashlights and booklights with batteries and the built in reflectors that you can disassemble and use for the hand repulsors.They just might be the size your looking for, all dirt cheap. That is what I'm going to use for my Mark5 suit that I'm building.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestion/comment, but I think that I will stay with Radio Shack since I feel like I have peace of mind knowing that their products are reliable.

I was looking more of a suggestion on if there's anything you want me to add to the suit electronics-wise or if you have any suggestions on improving the circuits by making them more energy efficient etc.

Wow! Very impressive...I have a 14 year old son who also enjoys building/creating. He made a Master Chief Halo helmet, and is currently working on a Darth Revan mask. I plan to show him this thread for inspiration. Can't wait to see more pics throughout the process as well as the finished product! Keep up the good work!

I'd just like to chime in and say that not only am I impressed with your build so far, but it's also quite refreshing to see a younger person posting with real words that form real sentences. I'm deadly serious - I skip a lot of threads around here because I can barely decipher some of the posts, and I'm from the generation that invented text shortcuts.

Great job on the suit so far - keep it up! - and thank you very, very much for making it pleasant to read about as well. :)

(edit) I just noticed that someone else posted a similar sentiment on the previous page, but the compliment still stands. :D

I'd just like to chime in and say that not only am I impressed with your build so far, but it's also quite refreshing to see a younger person posting with real words that form real sentences.

I was truly about to say the exact same thing. I'm amazed at the quality of this build so far--very innovative and well done. I'm just as amazed that you know how to spell, capitalize, and use proper grammar everywhere! Hope for the younger generation.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back