Iron Man Mark VI Foam Suit - My first build thread! Completed Pics & Further Progress

Re: Iron Man Mark VI Foam Suit - My first build thread! Race to Halloween COMPLETED P

Everything came together real nicely. Good job :)

Re: Iron Man Mark VI Foam Suit - My first build thread! Race to Halloween COMPLETED P

How did you do in the contest?

I didnt even place! first place went to the Flintstones because they built the car out of a hoveround, which did look really good, but second place was a tie and went to a half horse half man with a big male reproductive organ, and Forest Gump with leiutenant Dan in a wheelchair. Third went to a rendition of unnatural birth, and 3d Mona Lisa with the lady's husband dressed as Leonardo.. It was a darn shame. There were two master chief suits there that didnt place either. It was mainly this way because the judges were old people that arent into the newer things in the entertainment world.. :wacko

here are a few better pics as promised. Best ones I have as of now. Some even have fat old me working on the suit lol. A few have me with my fiance in her Harley Quinn outfit. Weird thing about these pics is you can see the LED's in my chest much more than what they actually showed up like in person..

Cheers..

PA310978.jpg

PA310979.jpg

PA310982.jpg

PA310991.jpg

PA310993.jpg

PA310994.jpg

PA310997.jpg

PA310998.jpg

PA310999.jpg

hello , does any one have the .pdo for the hand ´plates ? i have been looking for them just cant find them

Love this suit! (y)thumbsup
have you got any pictures of the knee hinges?
And how did the foam in back of the knee cavity hold up? Was it easy to bend? Im tempted to use this idea....

Love this suit! (y)thumbsup
have you got any pictures of the knee hinges?
And how did the foam in back of the knee cavity hold up? Was it easy to bend? Im tempted to use this idea....

Regretably I dont have any back pics. I will get some after I fix my hinges and suit back up again. The flex area held up great but it put extra strain on the hinges and my hinges ripped through. Gotta fix them here soon.

That is a shame about the ripping. what type of hinges were they? are the paste table hinges?

That is a shame about the ripping. what type of hinges were they? are the paste table hinges?

They were chicago screws. Even had washers but it was the vertical tension that caused the rip.

New helmet looks way better man. Suit looking great too :)

Tom.

i noticed your new helmet has such a smooth rounded top and faceplate
did you use a hairdryer to round it? or did you make different cuts so the foam wouldnt bind up and form mountains?

edit: and you shouldve won that contest, along with the halo suits. but that goes to show how out of touch people can be.

Last edited:

New helmet looks way better man. Suit looking great too :)

Tom.

Thanks Tom! That means a lot! In a few weeks when I have some time I am going to fix my hinges, touch up the paint a bit and redo the arc reactor like yours. Now that im not under time constraint it WILL happen!!

i noticed your new helmet has such a smooth rounded top and faceplate
did you use a hairdryer to round it? or did you make different cuts so the foam wouldnt bind up and form mountains?

edit: and you shouldve won that contest, along with the halo suits. but that goes to show how out of touch people can be.

Thanks Torx for the kind words! To answer your two questions, yes and yes. I had to use the hairdryer a lot over and over to get the right shapes. Also had to do my best to judge the cut angles on the pieces accurately. What was funny at the costume contest actually is both of the Halo Master Chief guys came over to me afterwards and said "man you shoulda won that!" I thought that was kinda funny lol

Ant

how did you fix the cracks in the paint?

So I have been a bit busy lately but today I started getting back in the swing of things. I figured since I dont have a duct tape dummy that I would create one to not only display my suit, but to give me something to hold the suit up while I work on the hinges. progress pics below. It isnt done yet but close. I am actually going to use PVC arms as well. Just got to finish them up. Should be done tomorrow or so. The I am going to suit up my dummy :)

B1A3EFA4-7995-4E4B-9DE3-73CCB3A1B700-7148-00000BA58829617C.jpg

86A65EA0-B712-4AEB-B6F1-6C7982E4C561-7148-00000BA6106B2A0C.jpg

9F006EB8-A8D8-4733-AA6B-095A6DBB59C0-7148-00000BA619996113.jpg

4E98439B-B922-446D-BA74-29EB7510D213-7148-00000BA62194F4BF.jpg

1DA0E8E3-82A8-43AB-ADA9-D7CD4200859A-7148-00000BA627FD3DEE.jpg

4E4DDF86-785A-453C-A25B-9621EA3B6723-7148-00000BA62FDDF6D9.jpg

E2347DD1-3103-44CC-9FEC-355166CF0379-7148-00000BA6382A614E.jpg

Re: Iron Man Mark VI Foam Suit - My first build thread! Completed Pics & Further Prog

So I started putting the costume onto the duct tape dummy, and it wouldnt fit! Come to find out it was because I have gained about 10 pounds in the last 6 months and it was already tight as it was :(. Now I am going to have to scramble to try to remake the cod piece and probably the lower back and sides before Friday. Why is it that I just cant seem to get things done with time to spare?!?!? lol

Re: Iron Man Mark VI Foam Suit - My first build thread! Completed Pics & Further Prog

So I started putting the costume onto the duct tape dummy, and it wouldnt fit! Come to find out it was because I have gained about 10 pounds in the last 6 months and it was already tight as it was :(. Now I am going to have to scramble to try to remake the cod piece and probably the lower back and sides before Friday. Why is it that I just cant seem to get things done with time to spare?!?!? lol

don't get discouraged :) I know how you feel, ive been working for months on my kids costumes, My daughters feet sprouted literally another 1/2 inch and the custom poison ivy shoes I had made for her no longer fits and her body suit is almost too small even though it fit perfect back in December! I haven't checked my other kids yet but I can only imagine. Its horrible to feel like you will never get done but you have some Great skills! If you can't alter it or its too much, put the project on hold. I know that sucks, trust me, but maybe you can get back to your original weight or start anew. Im sure its already cost you lots of foam and time, but second time around goes faster sometimes. Good luck either way! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back