Unlimited Run Iron Giant Bolt/Screw kit w/ electronic light and sound

How much would it cost to have it completely finished, built, painted? My skills are awful.

Joe

Hi Joe

I'm not planning on offing finished kits. I'm not that great of a painter. You would probably get a better value by buying the kit and then contracting one of the better builders on this site to finish it for you.

Thanks

So stoked that "Tested" did a video and I happened on to it on YouTube and that you are willing to do another run. My 3 year old loves, loves, LOVES Iron Giant. He calls himself The Little Iron Giant and daddy The Big Iron Giant. I'm not great at kits or electronics but his birthday is in July so I will have to work on some other kits between now and delivery so I can get better. I've already placed my pre-order and I am thrilled to start working on it for his birthday.

Awesome. Just ordered mine as well. Please keep us posted on the expected time for these. I know you said it would depend on the volume. Thanks again.

Awesome. Just ordered mine as well. Please keep us posted on the expected time for these. I know you said it would depend on the volume. Thanks again.

Fantastic! Thanks.

I will certainly keep this thread updated.

Here is where the project stands...

I spent today inventorying what I have left over from the last run. I ordered new electronic components (LEDs, micro controllers, batteries, and switches), material for casting the lenses, the little magnets for the cap, and boxes (packaging/display and shipping boxes).

When I first made this kit I got my hands on a LOT of speakers to test which would reproduce the tone best. The best one was FAR better than the others. Unfortunately that speaker (Zeetek 1205) seems to be much less abundant (and expensive) than they used to be. I have a couple alternatives I'm going to test. but if they're not as good, I'll just shell out the cost for the Zeeteks

This week I'll start casting the parts that are remaining unchanged (head, and cap). Next weekend I'll be remolding the spiral to hopefully improve the quality of that part. Then casting of those will start that week (they are the most tedious). The biggest delay is waiting for the new master of the tip to arrive.

So that's the game plan. I'll do my best to post as many updates as I can. Feel free to shoot me any questions.

To do:
Cast unchanged parts (head, and cap)
Drill LED holes in heads
Cast lenses
Re-mold spiral
Cast spirals
Wait for new tip master to arrive from Shapeways
Mold tip
Cast tips
Flash micro controllersPrint schismatics
Package up Electronic kits
Print box cover art
Package up kits
Ship kits

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow! Thanks so much for saying that. I'm really proud of it. And thanks for your order. I hope it lives up to your expectations.

Update:

The Zeetek 1205s (speakers) have been sourced and ordered. They are shipping form Taiwan, but should be in hand in three week (fingers crossed).

I saw this kit on Tested the other day and thought there was no way these would still be available. Thanks for doing another run! Just ordered a kit. I'm so pumped for this!

I've been tinkering with the idea of doing a run of display stands for these for some time. I'd love to hear if anyone has any ideas. I have three ideas that I would have trouble discribing, but they involve three different materials. What material do you think would compliment the screw best?

1. Wood
2. Clear acrylic
3. Metal (brushed aluminum)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back