INDIANA JONES - How much for a really GOOD fedora?

Woah, I had no idea they had a collection! After all this time, I guess the demand finally got to them. What's the consensus on these hats?

EDIT: Just bought one, right now. Still like to know how people feel about these though (I'll still make my own mind up when I get it), but getting an Indy hat from the original source in as close to original materials and block as currently possible---I couldn't resist.

Last edited:
Woah, I had no idea they had a collection! After all this time, I guess the demand finally got to them. What's the consensus on these hats?

EDIT: Just bought one, right now. Still like to know how people feel about these though (I'll still make my own mind up when I get it), but getting an Indy hat from the original source in as close to original materials and block as currently possible---I couldn't resist.
It's Father's Day, this is making me consider buying myself a present! That seaplane poet is really speaking to me. :cool:(y)

It's Father's Day, this is making me consider buying myself a present! That seaplane poet is really speaking to me. :cool:(y)

The Seaplane looks so nice, but I had to get an open-crown Poet in dark sable rabbit. That practically is the hat. Final price comes in about the same one would expect to pay for a bespoke fan-made product but to get it from the original milliner just clenches it for me.

The Seaplane looks so nice, but I had to get an open-crown Poet in dark sable rabbit. That practically is the hat. Final price comes in about the same one would expect to pay for a bespoke fan-made product but to get it from the original milliner just clenches it for me.
It’s great to see the original hatters not only getting back to form with the hat, but also putting it out at a fairly reasonable cost, all things considered. Hope you post pics of the hat here once you’ve gotten it!

I bought my Todd’s Coyle Downtowner here on the RPF about eight years ago for 50.00. I wouldn’t trade for the most expensive Indy hat out there.

Let us know what you think when it arrives!

Looks like this is as good a thread as any to ask an Indy hat question. :)
And then there is the Adventurer Hat by David Morgan:

I was looking to pick up an Advintage Harrison hat, but they are currently out of stock. (also, do those come in sizes, their website doesn't say).

Anyway, does anyone know how the color of the David Morgan Adventurer Hat compares to the ROTLA hat? It looks a littler dark in the photos their website, but that could just be lighting.

I'm hoping to find a $200 or less Raiders hat if possible and have it arrive by the end of October.

On indygear.com's Club Obi Wan, most members recommend the Akubra Fed 4 over the Adventurer. It has the correct dimensions on for an Indy hat, where the Adventurer is off on some things. It can be picked up for under your budget here Federation IV (Open Crown)

This is known to be the best good-enough budget hat, and is tough enough to last a lifetime. However, being good enough it is not screen accurate in some details, the felt is far too thick, and the ribbon color is not dark enough.

On indygear.com's Club Obi Wan, most members recommend the Akubra Fed 4 over the Adventurer. It has the correct dimensions on for an Indy hat, where the Adventurer is off on some things. It can be picked up for under your budget here Federation IV (Open Crown)

This is known to be the best good-enough budget hat, and is tough enough to last a lifetime. However, being good enough it is not screen accurate in some details, the felt is far too thick, and the ribbon color is not dark enough.
Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.
That Federation IV doesn't as closely resemble Indy's Raiders hat as well as the Advintage one that isn't much more money and looks darn near identical. Yes, they're out of stock right now (save the much pricier Streets of Cairo version), but according to their web site they're getting stock back in at the end of September. Unless you're going to a party as Indy, it's only a few weeks so I'd wait personally, but it's your decision.

That Federation IV doesn't as closely resemble Indy's Raiders hat as well as the Advintage one that isn't much more money and looks darn near identical. Yes, they're out of stock right now (save the much pricier Streets of Cairo version), but according to their web site they're getting stock back in at the end of September. Unless you're going to a party as Indy, it's only a few weeks so I'd wait personally, but it's your decision.
I completely agree, and if you have the money and time, the Advintage hats are much better if accuracy is important. To get the general look the Fed 4 will be fine, but for an accurate look Advintage would be the way to go.

I completely agree, and if you have the money and time, the Advintage hats are much better if accuracy is important. To get the general look the Fed 4 will be fine, but for an accurate look Advintage would be the way to go.
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

I have two Halloween events I’m hoping to wear this costume to, but I may take a chance and wait on the Advintage hat. It looks really nice and was the one I was hoping to pickup.

If it doesn’t arrive, I might know someone who has a hat I can borrow

I sent and email to Advintage the other day, but it bounced back. I may have copied and pasted the link wrong though. Was just asking about typical shipping times.

Thanks again!

Got a question about the Herbert Johnson hats,

Sable or "deep" Sable, which might be the better choice?? :confused::confused:

Got a question about the Herbert Johnson hats,

Sable or "deep" Sable, which might be the better choice?? :confused::confused:

Deep Sable. That's closest to the original color (and it's only going to get lighter if you're planning on wearing it outdoors often) and, if you believe what the site says, HJ is working with the closest equivalent rabbit felt to the original back in '79/'80.

Did your hat make it yet?

Not yet, 6-8 weeks to make and process but that's not before my order is received by the milliners. I'm sure I'm in a very long wait-list. I suppose I could email to see where I am on the list, but I think that'd only make me more impatient.

Deep Sable. That's closest to the original color (and it's only going to get lighter if you're planning on wearing it outdoors often) and, if you believe what the site says, HJ is working with the closest equivalent rabbit felt to the original back in '79/'80.

Not yet, 6-8 weeks to make and process but that's not before my order is received by the milliners. I'm sure I'm in a very long wait-list. I suppose I could email to see where I am on the list, but I think that'd only make me more impatient.
Thanks.
Damn sun light. Ruins everything :p
Guessing dye on the hat might ruin it.

Already own a Penman. Thinking of getting a HJ too.

Dyeing a hat really depends on the application and the kind of felt more than anything else. I have a beaver felt Stetson that I modified to a Man with No Name hat and it was really light when I first bought it. Very light mists of brown Rit dye on top of it, and letting it dry in-between mists after taking some of the moisture off with a paper towel, eventually got the color to where I wanted. If the color option for a hat you want isn't available or isn't to your liking, that's a decent alternative if you're not working with a poor quality felt (wool or the dreaded "fur felt").

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back