Indiana Jones - Golden Fertility Idol - New Sculpt

Just a quick update and bump.

After some very careful comparisons I noted there were some issues that needed to be addressed. From certain angles small things did not line up correctly so I have re-sculpted many areas to perfect the details and overall sculpt

I believe it is much closer now and much better but I need to clean up and refine all of the surfaces now.

As soon as I get them cleaned up I will snap a few new images to show

Just a quick update

After evaluating the sculpt and close comparison I felt it needed more work to perfect.
I have spent some time resculpting the idol and in my opinion it is much much better overall.

I re-examined the available images and was able to better see the how’s and whys of the shadows and reflections.

The final product should be very accurate to the PS and gold screen used HEROs.

I will post images soon. I am resculpting the hair so I can get every strand as accurate as possible.

I am much more satisfied with the result and look forward to hearing your comments!

Bumpity bump.. Awesome sculpt my dude! I cannot wait to see how this turns out. You're getting it correct in all the right spots.

^^ Thanks.

I will post images shortly. Holidays slowed me down.

I enhanced many of the images and was able to discern a lot of details and structure in the different examples.
I Have reworked the entire sculpt at this point BUT it is So much better. I think you guys will like it.

Stay tuned!

Checking here for updates. I did not realize I was not subscribed to this page and then realized I was the last one to post. :confused:

Anyway I have been in an Idol mood and been going through this and many other Idol posts today.

I must have missed it ,as I did look but I realized I have no clue what is up with the Prop Store Green Idol even though I have seen it many times in the last few years.

Can someone explain what the deal with it is? Why is it trashed and green? Was it a discarded idea instead of the Gold ones, etc.?

Thanks

Checking here for updates. I did not realize I was not subscribed to this page and then realized I was the last one to post. :confused:

Anyway I have been in an Idol mood and been going through this and many other Idol posts today.

I must have missed it ,as I did look but I realized I have no clue what is up with the Prop Store Green Idol even though I have seen it many times in the last few years.

Can someone explain what the deal with it is? Why is it trashed and green? Was it a discarded idea instead of the Gold ones, etc.?

Thanks

My understanding is that The PropStore idol is one of the original idols made and used on screen. The details IMO are exact with the exception of the hair lines. To my eye, I believe the casting were not "great" as they were fiberglass so some detail was lost on some castings and the clean up was not exact. Mostly the depth an cuts of the hair on some examples are aggressively carved back in.
From my close examination IMO the PropStore and archive idols are the originals. The PropStore version with fixed eyes is likely the one we see in gold as the Idol Indy takes off the pedestal known as the Beloq Idol. ( I could be wrong)

I think it likely the archive Idol with movable eyes and removable back is either the original Idol in the close up shots OR a repro from the original mold. IF it is the film used, it was repaired and "cleaned up and re-plated as it has gone soft and lost a lot of the finer detail BUT the features and surfaces are exact to my eye.

The PropStore version is green because it seems the fiberglass/resin used was green or the under treatment was green. The "gold" can be seen on some areas of the idol but has flaked off and tarnished which makes me wonder if it was "gold" plate/metalizing or brass/bronze which would turn brownish. You can see some of the metal plating peeling up in areas. I remember plastic model cars with chrome plate doing this after time too.

I have been forced away from this project for a while but am getting some time to work on it now.
I know I said I was done but after taking some pics I noticed it was off a bit and was not as good as I wanted so I re-sculpted a lot of it to get closer.

I believe the Propstore idol has more and better detail than the GOLD versions because the metalizing seems to smooth and hide some detail as can be seen in the teeth area especially.

The sculpt will be fine tuned after the first casting and should has the same surface quality when complete. Don't be overly concerned if you see some issues... they will be addressed. I hope you like it.

I am showing you a dramatic tease image just to entertain. The hair needs to be put back but you can see the subtle facial details and surfaces.

I hope all are safe and well in this very strange and demanding time!

idol tease small.jpg

To add to kpax's post... the Propstore idol appears green because the fiberglass gelcoat is that color. They were hollow cast in thin fiberglass - so thin that they were easily damaged. In fact, you can see the idol *in the film* has slight damage to the side of the head:

IdolEyes.jpg

Don Bies confirmed that the glass eyes idol in the Lucasfilm Archives is an original from the film, was of the same construction as the Propstore idol, and was also damaged like the Propstore idol:

"…as a matter of fact, had someone shown me those (Propstore) photos out of context, I would say they were taken in the late 80s of the glass eyes Idol in the archives."

It's generally believed that the idols were vacuum metalized - Don has said that's what it looked like to him. Most of that metalized layer peeled off of the Propstore idol. He also confirmed that the glass eyes idol in the Archives was indeed repaired, cleaned up, and sent out to be re-vacuum metalized - this was for the Japanese exhibit in 1993.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back