Interest Indiana Jones - "FERTILITY IDOL" (Made from Casting from Original Mold)

Great post kpax mate.
I've always like the idea that the idol was carved jade clad in gold leaf.
That's why I have always liked the Propstore idol as much as I have..

Thanks for the input. Had not considered Jade but makes a good story for why the propstore idol is green! ; )

I got curious and decided to research a few potential materials estimated by cubic inch.

I made a simple grid based on a front and side image and roughly estimate the cubic inches at 145ci +-

Based on a great sight I found for weights of common things. Weights of Common Substances

At an estimated volume of 145 cu inch, the idol would weigh as listed below in these potential materials:

solid gold - 108 lbs

lead - 63 lbs

jade - 18.5 lbs

bone - 10.8 lbs

solid wood (average) - 3lbs - 7.7 lbs

dry sand - 9 lbs

solid dry clay, plaster,cement, porcelain, terracotta etc, - 6lb - 12 lbs

hollow pottery est - 3lbs-7lbs

All +- 10%

Based on the way indy flips it in his hand and also by the sandbag estimated weight of 7- 9 lbs...had he gotten the weight correct! ; ) it seems wood, bone, pottery (clay) fit the estimated weight the best.

A gold covered wood or pottery idol would be a good guess for the culture.

Bone would be a cool guess but the idol is too big even for ivory I think tho a carved ancient mammoth tusk "could" be imagined...

What do you think?

Keep in mind, the sandbag weighs only 2- 4.5 pounds approximately with 5 handfuls of sand.

Last edited:
How could you let Physics get in the way of a good story ????

:D

Okay, so not solid gold. I never did the math.

Well… It could be solid gold… Very thin solid gold ! ; )

I only did these calculations for fun…

...And to destroy dreams! ; )

Yeah, I would think a hollow gold one would be doable.

My Hand Shaub bronze is around 6 lbs and gold is a little more than 2x heavier, so a gold one should be about 13ish lbs.

I actually have one in Jade colored resin (with some glow in the dark powder mixed in)... IHMO the Idol looks pretty great in Jade...
I don't know the provenance of it... According to the person I purchased it from, they "bought it in downtown LA"... I'm still trying to figure out if it needs something to make it look even more "jade like"... Or if I should partially gold leaf it so it looks like it flaked off...

Attachments

• IMG_3596.jpeg
    IMG_3596.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 224
  • IMG_3599.jpeg
    IMG_3599.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 247
  • IMG_3602.jpeg
    IMG_3602.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 220
Well, yes, is hung on my wall :);)
LOL, Danny is that you??

I actually have one in Jade colored resin (with some glow in the dark powder mixed in)... IHMO the Idol looks pretty great in Jade...
I don't know the provenance of it... According to the person I purchased it from, they "bought it in downtown LA"... I'm still trying to figure out if it needs something to make it look even more "jade like"... Or if I should partially gold leaf it so it looks like it flaked off...

Personally I have always loved the idea of the Jade idol and that's why I have always been attracted to the PropStore version. I built mine to mimic the one they used to have in their collection...

Attachments

• DSC05105.JPG
    DSC05105.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
just a Q or observation on the Propstore version/screen used. I know some here are very knowledgeable.

Looking at the Propstore details it seems to me that since much of the metalizing has stripped off cleanly and you can see edges of the metal in some areas very clearly, I note that the plating may have been fairly thick looking at the lower teeth. Looks to me that the middle lower teeth lines are much less accentuated than the top or side teeth,,, not as deep which could account for the different look of the screen used pedestal and stunt props where some of the detail was glossed over? just a thought.

Also because the "gold" is not still shinny gold as a true Gold plate or leaf would be even after many decades, it looks more like a tarnished brass or bronze color to my eye...

again...just a thought...

This is cool. You always do such great work, RelicMaker. Currently working on a display for your amazing Tomb Raider: Clock Of Ages. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back