Interest Indiana Jones - "FERTILITY IDOL" (Made from Casting from Original Mold)

RelicMaker

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, I've been working on this 'on and off' for the past couple of years, and finally have it ready to show.

I received an Idol casting from a friend of mine that received it from his friend at ILM. (Names are being protected for obvious reasons...)

The details on the casting were amazing and you could tell right away that it was the raw sculpt and was also used as the Stunt Idol. After examining it more closely compared to the Hero Idol at LucasFilm, it was easy to see that they had used the Stunt Idol to modify and make the Hero Idol that we see Indy replacing with a bag of sand. Evidence is seen in all over of the Idol including the hair close to the hands, which would obviously be changed if it were an entire new sculpt. The hair lines matched up exactly for anyone to say it was an entire new sculpt. In a way, it is an entire new sculpt, given the amount they have changed, including the face of the Idol, especially the face of the 'Baby'.

So, for the past year and a half, I've been modifying the Stunt Idol into the Hero Idol that we see on film and what we have seen at Propstore.

Here are the final photos of the "Hero" and "Belloq" Idol!!!

Bronze Casting with 24K Gold-Plating!!!

Weight: 4 to 5 lbs
Height: 19cm

Prices:
$475
- Hero w/ Glass Eyes (Aged)
$450 - Hero w/ Glass Eyes (Shiny)
$395 - Belloq

Interest List:
1. divz (AH) - D
2. heehoot12 (AH) - D
3. jwinton (AH) - D
4. Gnar Gnar Jinn (AH) - D
5. Rufus72 (AH)
6. prev (AH) - D
7. tristbale (AH) - D
8. johnrotellini (AH)
9. Zachilles (AH)
10. Derbyglass (AH) - D
11. TheotherJones (AH) - D
12. BobFett (AH)
13. dirtyharriet (AH) - D
14. cryptkeeper12 (AH) - D

"Hero Idol w/ Glass Eyes (Aged)"
IdolFinal1sm.jpg

IdolFinal2sm.jpg

IdolFinal3sm.jpg

IdolFinal4sm.jpg

IdolFinal5sm.jpg

"Side-by-Side with Original Prop Screenshot"
IdolHeroAgedSXS.jpg

"Hero Idol w/ Glass Eyes (Shiny)" / "Side-by-Side with Original Prop Screenshot"
IdolHeroSXS.jpg

"Belloq Idol"
IdolBelloq1.jpg

IdolBelloq2.jpg

IdolBelloq3.jpg

IdolBelloq4.jpg

IdolBelloq5.jpg

IdolFinalBottom.jpg

"Side-by-Side with Original Prop Screenshot"
IdolBelloqSXS.jpg

Here is the model!

IdolTeaser1.jpg

IdolTeaser2.jpg

IdolTeaser3.jpg

IdolTeaser4.jpg

IdolTeaser5.jpg

IdolTeaserBaby1.jpg

IdolTeaserBaby2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great. An absolutely beautiful job!

This is one of my dream props. I'm learning a bit of sculpting just for that. Hope I can get near your skills some day.

I know all the folk at ILM involved with this idol's original cast and the story of how it got out into the wild is well, interesting to say the least.

Good to see a version of it is getting some LONG overdue love mate.
Looking forward to seeing how it finally turns out.

MARK

Looks like another ground breaking awesome piece from you! :thumbsup

"Throw me the idol I'll give you the whip! :D

Very nice. Are the teeth finalized yet? Are they the same number and sitting at the same angle inside the mouth as the propstore version? Can you try to take a photo of your idol at precisely the same angle and distance? I am interested in the mouth, teeth and proportion of face size to overall size. Thanks.

Very nice. Are the teeth finalized yet? Are they the same number and sitting at the same angle inside the mouth as the propstore version? Can you try to take a photo of your idol at precisely the same angle and distance? I am interested in the mouth, teeth and proportion of face size to overall size. Thanks.

I'll see about doing some more side-by-side comparisons, but I tried to be as OCD about this sculpt without going insane.
The sculpt is finished, and after a number of redoes I finally had to say 'enough'.
This is one prop that I wanted to do right by and give you guys the best one possible, but like with anything, it's never going to be 100% perfect.

For my two cents worth my only comment is that from a general perspective, the rigid over the brows and around the bridge of the nose is too hard.
The Prop Store version is far softer.

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 10.20.30 am.png

Good luck mate...

I am embarrassed to ask, but I have searched a number of threads, and have gone to the propstore site in search of the answer: what is the story of the green/jade idol? Can someone point me in the right direction or even just provide a short explanation? I have seen something similar in the past as to "this is what it would have really looked like" - which is cool, but how does that relate to original prop? Should I assume the "this is what it would have looked like" idol is based/cast from the original hero idol? Am I even in the ball park here?

Thank you and sorry for the digression - this idol is looking fantastic and I am looking forward to seeing it plated as well.

I am embarrassed to ask, but I have searched a number of threads, and have gone to the propstore site in search of the answer: what is the story of the green/jade idol? Can someone point me in the right direction or even just provide a short explanation? I have seen something similar in the past as to "this is what it would have really looked like" - which is cool, but how does that relate to original prop? Should I assume the "this is what it would have looked like" idol is based/cast from the original hero idol? Am I even in the ball park here?

Thank you and sorry for the digression - this idol is looking fantastic and I am looking forward to seeing it plated as well.

Here is a quick writeup from Original Props regarding the Prop Store idol (which by the way is no longer owned by Prop Store):

This is one of two Idol props taken to Kauai, Hawaii for location filming. The exterior scenes filmed there show Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) diving out of the temple entrance, and then forfeiting the Idol to Belloq (played by Paul Freeman), who proudly shows it to the native Hovitos. This version of the prop features static eyes, the brown glass eyes are permanently fixed into the head and do not move. All of the Idol props used in Raiders had brown glass eyes, and at least one mechanical version was built in which the eyes could move left to right. The original intent was for the eyes to follow Indy around the room as he approached the alter, but most of these scenes were cut from the film. The eyes can be seen scanning from side to side for just an instant in the final version of the film.

The Idol is hollow, cast in a thin fibreglass, and was originally gold plated through a vacuum-metalizing process. It shows its age today, there are cracks on the side and much of the original gold has flaked off of the face. The plating is still present around the sides and back.

You can read more about all of them on the original prop blog: http://www.originalprop.com/blog/20...rtility-idols-in-the-marketplace-update-2014/

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back