Interest Indiana Jones - "FERTILITY IDOL" (Made from Casting from Original Mold)

LTsmash1200

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'd be interested in a hero but it depends on when they're ready to ship and if I have the funds by then...I'm getting married in October so my prop budget has been co-opted for a while, haha.

TomVDJ

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Man, I'm late at the party... Did I miss something about the price, or is that not known yet? Possibly interested if it's within my budget...

AdamHunter

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I’m definitely interested in a glass eye hero version too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

temponaut

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've just seen this thread for the first time, and read through every post. I'm delighted to find that, although this thread has been around for a while, the run hasn't already come... and gone!

Epic project and, as always, beautiful work, Brenton!

Please put me on the list for the hero (glass eye) version. :D

Last edited:

kpax

Sr Member
Has anyone ever established or estimated the weight of the sand bag Indy uses on the pedestal?

Any forward motion on this project or ETA? ; )

Jintosh

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Has anyone ever established or estimated the weight of the sand bag Indy uses on the pedestal?
Gold weighs 19.32 gram per cubic centimeter or 19 320 kilogram per cubic meter, i.e. its density is equal to 19 320 kg/m³. The density was measured at 20°C (68°F or 293.15K) at standard atmospheric pressure. In Imperial or US customary measurement system, the Gold density is equal to 1 206.1082 pound per cubic foot [lb/ft³], or 11.17 ounce per cubic inch [oz/inch³] .
Well, assuming the idol was solid GOLD, you could figure weight by finding the volume of a replica idol and multiplying by the equivalent weight of gold, and then add "just a bit" since the bag was apparently slightly heavier than the idol. (or too light???)
Math isn't my strong suit or I'd do it.

Last edited:

kpax

Sr Member
Gold weighs 19.32 gram per cubic centimeter or 19 320 kilogram per cubic meter, i.e. its density is equal to 19 320 kg/m³. The density was measured at 20°C (68°F or 293.15K) at standard atmospheric pressure. In Imperial or US customary measurement system, the Gold density is equal to 1 206.1082 pound per cubic foot [lb/ft³], or 11.17 ounce per cubic inch [oz/inch³] .
Well, assuming the idol was solid GOLD, you could figure weight by finding the volume of a replica idol and multiplying by the equivalent weight of gold, and then add "just a bit" since the bag was apparently slightly heavier than the idol. (or too light???)
Math isn't my strong suit or I'd do it.

800px-Toi_250kg_gold_bar.jpg

This bar of solid gold measures 45cm x 22cm x 17cm or approx 17.7 x 8 x 6 inch and weighs 250kg or 551lbs !

The Idol stands 8 inch tall and approx 6 inch wide and 8 inch deep which is close to half the volume of bar of gold above. This would mean the solid gold idol would weigh a staggering 250 lbs ! I don't think Indy was that strong! or there was THAT much sand in the bag ! ; )

My question really is to estimate the weight of the pouch of sand Indy uses.

I am guessing at the same volume of sand estimated by Indy in that bag of sand. He placed 5-6 handfuls of sand in the bag outside the cave. He removed one handful before swapping it for the idol.

5 handfuls of sand equals approx 5 cups which equals about 4.5 lbs.

Second "guess" the bag looks to be between a quart and half gal size which again would place the sand bag and Idol at between 3-6 lbs - tops!....which makes more sense for throwing it and lifting it overhead!

My thinking is that the Idol was meant to be either a wood carving with gold leaf OR a hollow gold plate hammered to shape. Since the Idol is well sculpted and not solid cast gold I would lean towards a wood idol with gold leaf as the "story" idol.