Indiana Jones (Disney+ series)

It would have been better if Khan had stayed a good guy in Into Darkness. Admiral Marcus frames him as the Villain, and the Audience goes along with it because he's Khan. But he never turns on Kirk, and they fight Marcus together. TOS set him up for a redemption, noting that he acted defensively during the Eugenics Wars. All you have to do is convince Khan that the truly superior man has no need to force people to follow him, people would do it willingly if his leadership is actually superior.

At one point, I remember “Garth of Izar” was rumored to be the villain for Into Darkness.

If they had done this, a lot more of the movie would have made sense…

- Garth would have possibly had “magical healing blood” as he was given his ability to do “cellular metamorphosis” by an alien species. This was done so that Garth could stay alive, after being critically injured, if I recall correctly (but it also made him crazy).

- Garth was a genius Starfleet Captain so using his experience and intellect to create a monster starship would make sense.

- The casting of Dr. Strange as Garth would have actually have been perfect casting vs. Dr. Strange as a “young Montalban”.

- Garth was also insane and could have behaved very much like the Khan character that they went with.

Anyway…off-topic

Last edited:
Tangent: the way Into Darkness handled the Khan character was so... problematic, that I wonder why JJ et al. could not see the glaring problems? The big reveal(s) were not revelations at all, there was no history with New Kirk so that layer of tension was missing, reviving New Trek Khan because "he thinks outside the box" would be ridiculous given the era New Trek is set within, Khan having the Fountain of Youth in his blood was just crazy out of nowhere (and if true, New Trek scientists would synthesize it and give it to every human), and then putting Khan BACK into suspended animation (when he has brought about the deaths of thousands at this point) is beyond the pale.

And let's not get started on the whole Kirk/Spock sacrifice switcheroo, when there was NO chemistry/history between the New Trek duo that would merit such a moment (in ST II: TWOK, it was a quiet moment of anguish for Kirk's character; Into Darkness treats it with a primal Spock scream).
The other issue is that JJ Trek is supposed to be an alternate timeline in where the split occurred well after the Eugenics Wars that saw Khan lead his people into space. So given that, why would Khan, all of a sudden, now be a white Englishman? Granted that they obviously couldn't cast Ricardo Montalban, but they should have cast someone similar looking with a similar accent because Khan going into space was pre-Kelvin timeline split.

The other issue is that JJ Trek is supposed to be an alternate timeline in where the split occurred well after the Eugenics Wars that saw Khan lead his people into space. So given that, why would Khan, all of a sudden, now be a white Englishman? Granted that they obviously couldn't cast Ricardo Montalban, but they should have cast someone similar looking with a similar accent because Khan going into space was pre-Kelvin timeline split.
They tried to cast Benicio del Torro as Khan, before offering the role to Dr. Strange…del Torro turned the role down.

Last edited:
Speaking of Doctors... I'm continuing to hold out hope that the TV series may follow Abner Ravenwood and have nothing to do with IndyDD.

Interestingly, there's a bit more semi-canon detail on his backstory than I'd realized - seems workable:

In a conversation with Paul as he script doctored it, he told me that when the script was written, the character was a disgruntled Starfleet officer out for vengeance.

Halfway through the movie, JJ had the “great” idea that it should have been Kahn and retconned the script and went back and reshot a few scenes for the beginning of the movie to make it “fit”.

Last edited:
I had no problem with them resurrecting Khan for the movie, but the casting was iffy and the method of doing it was lacking. If I'd had my say, I'd have had Kirk with lingering memories from the mind meld with Spock in the first one, recurring dreams of Spock dying due to Khan's actions. Then have him actively seek out Khan to prevent it from ever happening. But I also think the Star Wars sequels could have been easily fixed if the story had been that Rey was still powerful in the Force but she couldn't control it. Almost a one person wrecking crew wherever she went.

My vote would have been for Naveen Andrews, who had played Sayid on Lost. Abrams thus obviously had a history with him, and he often likes to bring in actors with whom he has previously worked. Makes me wonder if Cumberbatch might have been cast partly due to studio pressure.

SSB

...But I also think the Star Wars sequels could have been easily fixed if the story had been that Rey was still powerful in the Force but she couldn't control it. Almost a one person wrecking crew wherever she went.
Wait, that didn't happen? Jeez, which movies did I watch? :unsure:

With FWB now apparently going to do do "Tomb Raider" for Amazon, maybe that's a sign that she will not, after all, be involved with anything Indy on Disney+.

Well, I say Dizzy ought to do a mash up and create a new franchise: "Indy Trek ... Gladly Going Afar Where No One's Gone Afore"
indiana_bones_and_the_raiders_of_the_lost_spock_by_rabittooth_d4x2lb8-fullview.jpg
Starring Leonard McCoy as "Indiana Bones" (Dr. Saul T. Bones, "Dammit, I'm an Archytech, not a medical doctor, Spock."). The first feature: "Indiana Bones and the Raiders of the Lost Spock". Indiana Bones and the Raiders of the Lost Spock by Rabittooth on DeviantArt

Well, I say Dizzy ought to do a mash up and create a new franchise: "Indy Trek ... Gladly Going Afar Where No One's Gone Afore"View attachment 1664504 Starring Leonard McCoy as "Indiana Bones" (Dr. Saul T. Bones, "Dammit, I'm an Archytech, not a medical doctor, Spock."). The first feature: "Indiana Bones and the Raiders of the Lost Spock". Indiana Bones and the Raiders of the Lost Spock by Rabittooth on DeviantArt
Sadly, as stupid as this sounds, it may be better than what IJ 5 will give us.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back