Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

I'm one of those in the audience that didn't care for Young Indiana Jones. Nothing against the actors and people involved in making it, but I think George Hall as Indy was cut for the same reasons why I lost interest in the show: it didn't feel like Indy. River Phoenix got away with it because it was only just for only a little while in Last Crusade that he had to be Indy and needed to just come across as the man he'd grow into. For a show on a budget, I think it's a lot more difficult. It's another reason why it's been hard for Indiana Jones, despite being based on old serials, to have serialized stories of his own. It's so interwoven with Ford that anything like him is only a reminder that it isn't him, and an actor just can't do an impersonation of him all the time. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'm one of those in the audience that didn't care for Young Indiana Jones. Nothing against the actors and people involved in making it, but I think George Hall as Indy was cut for the same reasons why I lost interest in the show: it didn't feel like Indy. River Phoenix got away with it because it was only just for only a little while in Last Crusade that he had to be Indy and needed to just come across as the man he'd grow into. For a show on a budget, I think it's a lot more difficult. It's another reason why it's been hard for Indiana Jones, despite being based on old serials, to have serialized stories of his own. It's so interwoven with Ford that anything like him is only a reminder that it isn't him, and an actor just can't do an impersonation of him all the time. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I agree with you that it didn't quite feel like Indy but because it was more youthful...and rightly so. I loved it. I couldn't wait to watch it. River Phoenix did great in the Last Crusade and I thought Sean Patrick Flannery did well to convey a youthful, adventurous side of Indy that captures the heart. There were emotional overtones that really stuck with me along with getting a history lesson every week....lol. Never knew one man could just happen to run into every famous person of his generation...but in the movies, he ran into Hitler so, I think that was their play. Anyways, you're right...Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones forever. No one can be him in his adulthood but him. Honestly, in one sense we who grew up in the 80s were blessed with some of the best films ever that have lasted for decades. The other side of that coin is the sadness that they will never be repeated. Closure is a good thing to find but some like to keep opening the wound.

Getting there…

Almost just needs the tweed suit and eyepatch, I guess?

Interestingly, Lucasfilm removed all the “old Indy” scenes from the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, when it was released to home media and syndication.

View attachment 1642860View attachment 1642861
Yeah, I own the DVDs. They wanted a chronological structure, for some reason.

Breaking news:if Indy 5 flops it’s due to a toxic fan base.You heard it here first folk’s,now here’s Short Round with the weather.
I thought it was because of Russian bots? Or blame it on the current President that happens to be in office.

Indy no longer carries a gun; he now carries a can of Metamucil.
More like a can of Wisdom...I'm going to pull an ALLEY here ....Blasphemy!!! LoL

1669825111745.png

It's pretty clear he only needs this now...

I have no clue what you all are talking about.

Indy ended as it should, perfectly in 1989, with them all riding off in the sunset.

End of story. No more. Have a good night. See ya later.

No human would do an Indiana Jones movie involving aliens or time travel, so I don't know what any of this is, but it's obviously not Indiana jones

Denial, it's not just a river in Egypt.

More like a can of Wisdom...I'm going to pull an ALLEY here ....Blasphemy!!! LoL

View attachment 1643142

It's pretty clear he only needs this now...

If they have good writers, that's exactly how an older Indy would make sense. He'd use his experience to outsmart the bad guys instead of trying to go hand to hand like in the originals.

Got my copy of Empire with the Indy 5 article in it. Not a whole lot of info about the movie, but a couple of good pics. There was one tidbit about Phoebe Waller-Bridge's character that I wasn't aware of...

Apparently her character is Indy's goddaughter

If they have good writers, that's exactly how an older Indy would make sense. He'd use his experience to outsmart the bad guys instead of trying to go hand to hand like in the originals.
Amen brother...I like how you think. We can all joke about an Older Indy but let's face it, we are all getting older and one day have our cabinets filled with exactly what we joke about that's in his satchel. At the end of the day, if we don't acquire wisdom as a tool in our arsenal when we get old then we die as fools with a pistol on our hip. A pistol can take down a few enemies but Wisdom can take down an army...with all that said...come on...it's Indy...no one will ever forget that scene in Raiders, he can still have a pistol and have a lot of wisdom. I mean, since they are doing this whether we want them to or not.

This is where a lot of our contention is with moving on from The Last Crusade. I mean he finds the grail...Clearly in the writing it's communicated that the blood lust for artifacts will kill you.(We on the RPF should learn that lesson as well...lol) That is why after being healed by the grail, Indy's dad tells him to "let it go". His father spent his whole life searching for the artifact only to discover that the true meaning behind it was with a realtionship with his son. As Indy is reaching out for the "object" , Dad is holding on to son. He saves him. They save each other and get to ride off into the sunset together on a new course together(by the grace of God). Tell me, what can be greater than that? What more does Indy need at that point? He gets to go out, literally on top. Do i think he just sat around with Dad and drank coffee until he passed? No. But, i do think they started spending a heck of a lot more time togther after all that happened. From a story tellers point of view and the audiences'...i thought it was a perfect ending. We have closure, and that closure gives us warmth in our hearts.

Having Indy go back and start feeding his lust for the objects again make this seem all for nothing...just like they did with moving beyond ROTJ by nullifying Darth Vaders sacrifice in the ST.(Just using this as an example).

1669904940627.png

This is where a lot of our contention is with moving on from The Last Crusade. I mean he finds the grail...Clearly in the writing it's communicated that the blood lust for artifacts will kill you.(We on the RPF should learn that lesson as well...lol) That is why after being healed by the grail, Indy's dad tells him to "let it go". His father spent his whole life searching for the artifact only to discover that the true meaning behind it was with a realtionship with his son. As Indy is reaching out for the "object" , Dad is holding on to son. He saves him. They save each other and get to ride off into the sunset together on a new course together(by the grace of God). Tell me, what can be greater than that? What more does Indy need at that point? He gets to go out, literally on top. Do i think he just sat around with Dad and drank coffee until he passed? No. But, i do think they started spending a heck of a lot more time togther after all that happened. From a story tellers point of view and the audiences'...i thought it was a perfect ending. We have closure, and that closure gives us warmth in our hearts.

Having Indy go back and start feeding his lust for the objects again make this seem all for nothing...just like they did with moving beyond ROTJ by nullifying Darth Vaders sacrifice in the ST.(Just using this as an example).

View attachment 1643479
There's no such a thing as "Closure" in Hollywood...especially with a franchise (any!):rolleyes::p

I still go to the mat arguing that a lot of the character outcomes in the Star Wars sequels were realistic. They just weren't what we wanted. Han & Leia split up as their son goes bad, and Han ends up smuggling with Chewie again. Luke becomes a recluse. Etc. Not everything was on point (Luke's TLJ attitude) but more of it was than we want to admit. I'm sorry, but it's NOT realistic to have Han Solo being a two-bit gunslinging smuggler until well into his 30s and then he suddenly re-invents himself as some noble competent general or political leader.

My point is that I don't see Indiana Jones quitting the artifact-hunting business after 'Last Crusade', or ever. Maybe he would dial it back (pick fewer endeavors and stick to high historical payoffs). And he would take fewer physical risks as he got older. But he would never be fully retired to indoor academic life. Not if his body aged as well as Harrison Ford has.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back