Indiana Jones 5 officially announced

Great points.

To me, THIS is Indiana Jones…in the correct costume, in the correct era, in the correct setting, etc. If you can’t deliver this, then what exactly are you creating??

View attachment 1641742

Anyway…I yield the floor. :)
You nailed it...There are two things at play here. The iconic look of Indy which i think they should stick with...even though, to me, Indiana Jones ended with The Last Crusade, and clothing for the time. If you look at the field of archaeology in general and study photos of archaeologists from the 30s and even up to the 80s it's generally the same, especially if they are excavating over in the middle east. Notice in Raiders of the lost Ark, no matter where he is the look of Indy never really changes too much. I personally love the look in Raiders above all...The Fedora to me is his best version here in this movie. I really don't want to be pessimistic but like i said, for me, Indy ended with the Last Crusade but i'm sure i will be tempted to watch, if just to honor Harrison Ford himself.

Here’s a bit of a speculative thinking exercise.

Say they did update his look for 1969. What would he wear? What styles would he adopt?

I know shirt collars overlapping a jacket/blazer collar was popular back then. Maybe at least in the classroom he would adopt more of a Frank Bullitt look (brown tweed jacket with suede elbow patches, dark turtle neck and suede chukkas), or is that too hip? Lol

Here’s a bit of a speculative thinking exercise.

Say they did update his look for 1969. What would he wear? What styles would he adopt?

I know shirt collars overlapping a jacket/blazer collar was popular back then. Maybe at least in the classroom he would adopt more of a Frank Bullitt look (brown tweed jacket with suede elbow patches, dark turtle neck and suede chukkas), or is that too hip? Lol
For his adventuring gear, and I've said this before, post-war surplus was everywhere, really cheap, and ruggedly constructed. If Indy were smart he'd have traded his gabardine slacks for a pair of herringbone twill utility trousers - you know, the ones with the big baggy pockets on the side.
Why wear a pair of department store shoes when he could have a pair of double buckle boots?
Need a rugged shirt? The army made them in light twill, heavy twill, and wool.
This stuff was so cheap and so plentiful he could have bought multiple sets so he'd have spares when one set was inevitably destroyed on an adventure.
I feel like that's what a sensible adventurer would have done. Drop $50 at an army surplus store and have an adventuring wardrobe to last the rest of your life.

For his adventuring gear, and I've said this before, post-war surplus was everywhere, really cheap, and ruggedly constructed. If Indy were smart he'd have traded his gabardine slacks for a pair of herringbone twill utility trousers - you know, the ones with the big baggy pockets on the side.
Why wear a pair of department store shoes when he could have a pair of double buckle boots?
Need a rugged shirt? The army made them in light twill, heavy twill, and wool.
This stuff was so cheap and so plentiful he could have bought multiple sets so he'd have spares when one set was inevitably destroyed on an adventure.
I feel like that's what a sensible adventurer would have done. Drop $50 at an army surplus store and have an adventuring wardrobe to last the rest of your life.

Oh, I think he would go “Full Mod” and accessorize his whip and pistol with a selection from the Kings Road Collection…

9E71268F-B5A2-4697-8B04-68EB91746F3A.jpeg

Wasn't he the one that pushed to do it in the first place? The fact that it went so against Spielberg's sentiments that even he dropped out, someone vital to the make-up of Indy, and it still steamed ahead baffles me.

It's suspected that Harrison agreed to do 'Force Awakens' on the condition that he get another Indy movie. But I think it was only rumor mill stuff. Lucasfilm got bought by Disney and they quickly announced that both franchises would be getting new entries, so that probably fed into it.

The bottom line was that Harrison suddenly became willing to go back to 'Star Wars' after being notoriously grumpy about it. Maybe it was the rumored Indy#5 deal or maybe it wasn't. By the 20-teens he had a generation of distance from Han Solo. No more fears of typecasting. And whatever they did with Han Solo in his 70s would be different from the old trilogy. TFA offered a fresh meaty 'Star Wars' role. No George Lucas dialogue this time. JJA was directing. Disney was probably offering a ton of money. Etc. From where Harrison was sitting it must have looked like the most appealing SW job he had seen in a long time.

They were killing the Han Solo character too. Was that an incentive for Harrison? Conventional wisdom in the last decade says yes. I say maybe. Again, it was assumed that Harrison demanded it as a condition of doing the role one more time. But after the last decade of Lucasfilm content I wonder if it was Kathleen Kennedy who made that call. She's been hellbent on killing all the old characters.

Spielberg's reasons for dropping out of Indy#5 may have been his own. I get the feeling he knows he is past his prime for directing this kind of movie.

As I've said before, I think Spielberg really believed he had done a good job with 'Crystal Skull' and then it rattled his confidence when the public reaction was mixed.

Last edited:
As for transforming his outfit; these pieces of clothing serve a purpose. Let's not re-invent the wheel...completely:rolleyes:;)
Leather jacket: durable, practical.
Pants: comfortable, practical.
Belt: same.
Shoes: I would've switch those for boots ala Rocketeer.
Gun: Colt instead of Wembley.
The rest was added over the years, I'm sure, to be as practical/durable as possible.

Ford returned to both franchises for the paycheck. A very, fat, bloated, obscene, sized paycheck. Don't get it mixed up, Indy 5 was a lot more work than anything he did in all the SW sequel trilogy combined. But the money. Gobs and gobs of money.
I don't know Harrison Ford personally but he's already got gobs and gobs of money...as far as we know based on his own words, he didn't like playing Han Solo any more and wanted him killed off before but he did like playing Indiana Jones. I could believe he played Han Solo again for the money but i generally believe he loves acting and to be reunited with the original cast there was a lot of pressure and maybe he wanted to get the band back together one more time. He's 80 years old with more money he can shake a stick at. I tend to believe he loves acting that much...it's who he is. He's really good at it too. How many of us with his kind of money would continue to do what you do for a living at 80years old if you didn't love to do it? IDK, i just don't want to make a false accusation about someone's motives if i don't really know the motives. Your view is plausible though.

As for transforming his outfit; these pieces of clothing serve a purpose. Let's not re-invent the wheel...completely:rolleyes:;)
Leather jacket: durable, practical.
Pants: comfortable, practical.
Belt: same.
Shoes: I would've switch those for boots ala Rocketeer.
Gun: Colt instead of Wembley.
The rest was added over the years, I'm sure, to be as practical/durable as possible.

Here’s your 1960’s Indy gear (just add a shoulder holster and a hook on the belt for the whip.)

94F761B0-CCF7-4F07-B95C-A8BBAE067412.jpeg

Interestingly, I swear that this guy appears to have formed the basis for the outfit that Magento wore in X-Men: First Class…

4814772A-017E-443C-B2E5-B304DCB56374.jpeg
F6819214-AE20-4C62-8A6A-2DF383682973.jpeg

There's one very simple reason Indiana Jones wears the same costume all the time. It's the same reason Darth Vader, Spiderman, Superman, Batman, and countless other larger than life characters wear basically the same clothes barring a few very minor variations.

Iconography.

If you're a costume designer and you're fortunate to work on a project that becomes part of the culture the way Raiders has, you don't mess with what works. The costume was just about settled upon before they even cast the role. That's how iconic and memorable it was and the reason why even the variations are debated over because it was done best in the first film. The silhoutte is unmistakeable. If you can identify a character just from their shadow, your work has transcended mere fashion by creating a narrative all it's own.

I get that the practicalities of Indy's gear doesn't always match the reality of his adventures, but design work is just as much about conveying ideas or character traits as it is about fitting an actor correctly. You subsciously know something about him just by looking at him. Film is after all, a visual medium and if a costume can eliminate the need for some exposition, all the better.

Yes, Indy's outfit is iconography. I agree that it's the real reason for the filmmakers keeping it into the 4th and 5th movies.

But I don't see anything implausible about it, either.

Granted, Indy shouldn't wear the bomber & fedora when he's teaching a class at the university - and he never did. In 'Crystal Skull' they kept him in his presentable university outfit for the motorcycle chase that started in that setting. Etc.

The whole topic just seems like a non-issue to me.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back