~~~ Indiana Jones 1/1 ~~~

great paint up Jeff!

the only thing i noticed was that his left eye looks crossed to me...if you split his face down the middle (covering that left eye) i think it looks better

is it possible the eyes went in crooked, or is that they way they had to go?

needless to say, i'm no artist and think Jeff and Howard are two of the most talented guys on this board ...just my $.02

brad

Hey, I recognize that Indy in the comparison shot! :lol I think this is the first paint up I've seen of the new bust. You've done a good job and supplemented him with the right accessories. As a fellow painter who has tackled this subject material more than once on commission, I'd like to offer up some observations:
  • as others have stated, the eyes do seem to converge, but my question is what is the diameters of the irises? they seem too large.
  • the eyelashes are too thick, dark, or something as they give the illusion that the eyes are deeply sunken.
  • as a result of the issues in the eye area, I'm having a hard time reading the 'attitude' of Indy. I think it's important to capture an emotion even if the face holds it indefinitely.
  • are you airbrushing shading into the contours of the face to accentuate forms? I've seen other 1:1s where you've used this technique, and I think I see it in some of the deeper folds of the face.
  • it may be your camera, but he looks slightly orange.
for reference here's the v.1 I did for cking:
big pic1
big pic2

WOW!

I’ve been sitting back and reading all of these critiques, wondering how
I should respond without appearing bitter. Not an easy task for someone
who takes such pride in my work. The funny thing is, I don’t remember
asking for a critique on this piece! I really don’t feel the need to be taken
back to class and to be taught a lesson on how to paint a 1/1 bust!

If you don’t like my finish work on this piece, fine that’s your opinion. But,
the side by side comparison crap is just plain rude, and uncalled for!
And to feel off the hook by stating IMHO, or Just My 2¢, for your comments
is just lame!

I’m sure by now your thinking “man Camper has lost it”! But put yourself
in my shoes and go back and read ALL the posts in this thread. How
would you respond?

As far as people thinking Howard’s sculpt is off or not better than his
first version, you are out of your freak’n minds! This sculpt is so much
better than the other one, on so many levels.

Well, I’m not quite sure what else to say except… WOW!

°Jeff

CAMPer

WOW!
, wondering how I should respond without appearing bitter.

°Jeff

CAMPer

Difficult... I spose when I post pics on an internet forum I expect to hear opinions and hope them to be well meaning. Perhaps you`d need to expressly request no opinions (or rather no negative opinions :confused) at the start of the thread.

Howevever I`d say the comments have been respectfull and helpfull?

Jeff,
By posting something like that bust here, it will do two things. It will cause a reaction by seeing it, then an opinion. People are just stating their opinions because you posted it for everyone to see. More than half the people who posted here don't have your talent but they all still have an opinion. Thats not a bad thing and I hope you don't get mad at me for illustrating it again, but I don't think anyone put you down.

I see you're from Chicago. I graduated from the American Academy of Art among some other members here and we were fully encouraged to critique others work and have ours critiqued. When people see it they get an instant reaction and want to express their opinion since you're showing off the piece, and it's a fabulous piece! At school there were people who wanted badly to hear others opinions so they could get others ideas and perhaps learn from others and find ways to improve. Then there were others who just could not take criticism no matter how little was given. I saw grown men cry because of what someone said about a painting of theirs. I'm not kidding either. Now, I'm not saying you need improvements, I'm just stating my opinion on it as well as the others. Bottom line is if you're happy with the piece that's all that matters.

People will always have opinions on your work and it won't always be exactly what you want to hear, and that's not always a bad thing. You don't have to agree with everyone either. It may be best just to say, "Thanks for the suggestions, but I love it just the way it is cuz' that's how I want it.", and just blow everyone off.
Not an easy task for someone who takes such pride in my work.
All artists take pride in their work, man. But as artists, we must always be willing to accept room for improvement. In the end you don't have to take anyones criticisms to heart. If you're happy with what you're doing and completely satisfied with your own performance, then simply disregard all of it. They're just suggestions, man.

You've proven to many how good of an artist you are. Take pride in that as you should.

The reason I took the time to post this was because from one artist to another, I know how it feels to put so much of yourself into something. I just hope that you understand that not everyone has bad intentions and I hope you're not upset in my writing this. I have only the best intentions in doing so.

You did such a great paint job! it's just a shame about that right eye. he looks cross eyed! It basically needs to be rotated out more. I adjusted your pic to show what I mean.

But other than this it's a very impressive job! :D

Last edited:
Nice work Camper!

I hope that the critisism in this thread is intended to be constructive. If it is, I hope these two artists can see it that way.

I also hope that they will continue to share their fine work here. I think it is some of the finest in the hobby. :)

Yeah, no malice intended with the criticism!!!! I'm totally blown away by this bust!!!! I haven't seen a better one to date and that's a fact!!!! Actually I'm so totally floored by the look of this bust, I'd be honored to have it in my collection as it is.

Dave :)

Last edited:
Thanks to Fuzzylover for her comments and understanding of my intentions on the bust not looking 'Ford' like.

I guess next time I'll just say how perfect the work is or just keep my mouth shut altogether. I meant no disrespect to anyone so I'm sorry if my comments came across that way.

I reread my comment and can see where it might have been misinterpreted. Although it looks very much like Ford as Indy, there is something slightly off (just can't put my finger on it). But I do think both the sculpt and paint job are excellent work done by talented people.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back