Immortan Joe costume from Mad Max, Fury Road

Try washing machine hoses they look just right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look up "Russian Gas Mask" on ebay you can find the exact tan hoses as a part of a gas mask. YOu have to buy the whole mask and hose though. The prices vary wildly. I think the prop dept on Fury Road used the exact same ones.

From what I remember logan74k saying, they were from children's gas masks. You can also buy hoses for the very same gas masks for the connecting black hoses that go into the bellows. I bought a set myself to go with logan's kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finishing the last parts of the costume. I 3D modeled the flames, camshaft holder and gear, my girlfriend handled the skull and crossbar. Now to figure out how I'm going to hang the chains from it.
383RHnq.jpgpGgTS9y.jpg

No not that I noticed make sure though during the forming process leave the thin plastic film on it and you need gloves for sure

No not that I noticed make sure though during the forming process leave the thin plastic film on it and you need gloves for sure

Cool - good to know! I would have absolutely pulled that film off - can't remember what my plastic looks like, is the film on both sides? Do I heat from that side?

I figure that the gloves we have for the smoker should be good enough?

Cool - good to know! I would have absolutely pulled that film off - can't remember what my plastic looks like, is the film on both sides? Do I heat from that side?

I figure that the gloves we have for the smoker should be good enough?

The film is on both sides so it doesn't matter what side you heat it on just lay it over the form, I like to go in a circular motion on a specific area and then push it into the details film starts tearing don't worry about it too much just start from the center out

wait a minute, why do you leave the film on? i've been removing the film before heating / forming and haven't had any issues.

Vacforming and especially hand forming are tough on the material - you may scuff or deform the surface slightly and affect the clarity of it. Not a huge deal for the Joe costumes, but pretty standard practice for vacforming parts that need to be crystal clear.

If you want those nipples to really look their best - keep the blue film on :D

Last edited:
Ahhhhh, makes sense, thanks for the info! Yeah, as you said I suppose it doesn't really matter for the Joe armor, considering I've been scuffing the stuff up after forming with a super fine sanding sponge.

I found the navy metal pin on his chest at the thrift store on a navy hat. All metal. So stoked. I looked all night last night and couldn't find anything close.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back