If you were to buy a resin printer today...

Elegoo std grey is pretty good, the ABS gives more flexibility in the prints but stinks, the water cleanable stuff I see a lot of people end up with cracked prints. Possibly down to thickness, but doesnt happen with the std grey stuff.
I've has a lot of micro-cracking using Anycubic grey. I think it's mostly in hollowed parts that are possibly too thin-walled, but i'm still not entirely convinced. I designed some test prints and none had cracks!
I now have some Elegoo ABS-Like to try.

I've has a lot of micro-cracking using Anycubic grey. I think it's mostly in hollowed parts that are possibly too thin-walled, but i'm still not entirely convinced. I designed some test prints and none had cracks!
I now have some Elegoo ABS-Like to try.
I've been using Rich-Opto resin lately. Inexpensive and very good stuff.

My Saturn came Friday and I spent Friday and Saturday playing around and working on dialing things in. I'm impressed with both the printer and the Siraya Tech Build. It's got just the right amount of flexibility, it will still break if you push it too far or on really delicate features, but it seems like pretty tough stuff and holds detail well. I've started experimenting on my Eagle parts and I definitely have some tweaking to do there. The hollow RCS quad bells are just too delicate as currently modeled. But I think they'll be great once I get them beefed up a little.

Ameralabs Town Calibration Print
20210813_223914.jpg

20210814_184424.jpg

20210814_205435.jpg

The only place I would be able to set up a resin printer would be the garage, naturally. I have space for a stable, level surface; only thing is, out here in the California central valley, we've been going through a heat wave that also carries a fair share of humidity with it (no fires though, thank God!). The resin itself I can store inside a closet in the house proper, where the temperatures are controlled and cooler. Trouble is the attached garage itself can get stuffy and hot during summer days. Mornings and evenings are more tolerable, but during the winter it can actually get chilly enough that I sometimes have to throw a robe on before I go in there.

My question is print jobs that running for 6, 8 or more hours...is this a valid cause for concern?

That's a good question I was thinking of the other day. I keep reading people say these are really messy so the garage would be ideal. I've also heard humidity is a concern and it gets really humid in the summer in Ohio!

The only place I would be able to set up a resin printer would be the garage, naturally. I have space for a stable, level surface; only thing is, out here in the California central valley, we've been going through a heat wave that also carries a fair share of humidity with it (no fires though, thank God!). The resin itself I can store inside a closet in the house proper, where the temperatures are controlled and cooler. Trouble is the attached garage itself can get stuffy and hot during summer days. Mornings and evenings are more tolerable, but during the winter it can actually get chilly enough that I sometimes have to throw a robe on before I go in there.

My question is print jobs that running for 6, 8 or more hours...is this a valid cause for concern?
Heat isn't generally an issue (other than being uncomfortable for you) but cold definitley is. You might need to arrange for some heating in the winter. Putting it on a reptile heating pad and in an enclosure over the top would probably do it.

I run a Saturn right next to me in my basement. I have a Winix carbon air purifier behind it and two elegoo carbon purifiers that run on battery inside the printer while running.

Winix: Amazon.com: Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Washable AOC Carbon Filter : Home & Kitchen

Small elegoo purifiers: ELEGOO Mini Air Purifier with Activated Carbon Filter and Universal Adaptor for LCD,DLP,MSLA Resin 3D Printer(Pack of 2): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I don't ventilate and I use water wash elegoo resin. Purifier has indicator lights detecting bad air (if I spray one mist of denatured alcohol from 10 feet away, it picks it up and light turns red within 5 seconds) and it stays blue the entire time I print.

Also, there are ways to vent the Saturn from the back out a window. I would be looking into this if my setup wasn't working as well as it is now.

Elegoo std grey is pretty good, the ABS gives more flexibility in the prints but stinks, the water cleanable stuff I see a lot of people end up with cracked prints. Possibly down to thickness, but doesnt happen with the std grey stuff.

Does the standard gray resin not smell as bad? The ABS-like is pretty smelly, but I can deal with it if there's no better option.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back