ICONS Authentic Replicas Interview clip?

Timeless Collectibles also contributed to the demise of Icons at this time in regard to Icons bankruptcy. But that is another horror story.
I'd be interested in hearing this story. Like many current forum members, I too was not collecting actively when Icons was in business, but have since picked up quite a few Icons pieces on the secondary market. One of those is the Timeless Collectibles endoarm. It was my understanding that these were basically Icons arms that TC completed and delivered after Icons went under. Any clarification of those circumstances would be most welcome.

I bought quite a few of his BSG Costumes from him and Roger was a claas act all the way.

I hear he is doing fine now in the Toy collectible market now.

Roger Sides was a collector in the mid to late 1980's. A pioneer in the field. He has his own controversies surrounding him, but never sold fake memorabilia.

You know Jim you are still going to **** some of us Old timers off with some of these storys! :lol

Again, I can't fault the candor. All stories like a jig saw puzzle filled in...at least from the stuff I'd heard over time.

Im not taking sides....im just enjoying the wonderful tales....because like it or not I've never seen anyone go on the record like this before on the 1990's and its cool as hell.

I was in LA when that Batman gun went missing and yes...all hell broke loose.

:lol Oh yeah listen the coolest classic props the majority were stolen and sold for pennies on the dollar. :lol

Man I miss those days!!

Again, I can't fault the candor. All stories like a jig saw puzzle filled in...at least from the stuff I'd heard over time.

Im not taking sides....im just enjoying the wonderful tales....because like it or not I've never seen anyone go on the record like this before on the 1990's and its cool as hell.

I was in LA when that Batman gun went missing and yes...all hell broke loose.

Thank you. I truly appreciate the opportunity to communicate with anyone regarding what happened at Icons, Timeless and in the original Hollywood production artifacts field. As you all may know after the fall of Icons I become a pariah and was driven into total seclusion. I'm not looking for sympathy, just stating a fact.

I won't post on any other threads on the RPF, as I know that I am very fortunate to even be allowed to post here at all. And I don't want anyone to think that I believe I am part of the community here. I know I am not and never will be. But perhaps what I experienced may be of some help to those of you who are still curious as to what happened, for those who are collectors of originals, and / or a member starting their own business. In this case, maybe my loss and total destruction can be your gain information-wise. I wish I had the knowledge I know now, back then.

As you can see from my posts, and as many of you know, the original props / miniatures and wardrobe hunting & exhibits in the 1980's & 1990's, and the launch of Planet Hollywood, played an important part in the birth of the 1:1 scale mainstream Film & TV replica business. Interestingly, when Planet Hollywood stocks was tanking ( from $26.00 a share to just 17 cents ), Planet Hollywood consider acquiring Icons. I still have the logo concept that was generated at that time. Which is fascinating to see.

When Planet Hollywood went under, they too were blacklisted like Icons by all of the major studios. They both declared bankruptcy within 1 year of one another. That is a story in itself. What went on behind the scenes, with so many egos involved and big, big money. I was present just by being in the right place at the right time, when the first location in NYC was being blue-printed. In the Beverly Hills mansion of one of the co-founders. Looking over the concept on his kitchen island table.

I don't want to post too often or write too much. Sorry for being so long-windedness in my writing. And all of my typo's and issues with grammar. I am nothing with out being edited. But I sure can spew !

So I still have to re-cap:

* Warner Bros. war on the Hollywood memorabilia community & The Burbank Police Department Detectives shake-down interview ( 1996 )

* The Timeless debacle ( which involved armed guards, Albert Einstein, and the largest SEC stock spam investigation in American history ) ( 2000 )

* Why you don't need aviation grade aluminum when making prop replicas.

And what ever else posters have inquired about.

Hey Jim do you have any copies of the thick From the Vault catalog? I've heard its pretty rare and I can't turn up anything online. I only found the issue with James Earl Jones but it's very short.

I have to agree with the above posters, this really IS fascinating reading. It's filling in all the holes of all the collecting stories I'd heard over the years.

Icons was actually what got me started in replica props collecting. I didn't purchase anything from them, but the first time I saw an Icons Luke Saber (in a Sharper Image store) was when I realized what the saber was.

Thanks, Jim.

The comments about BTTF are pretty much right in line with what I remember back in the day. The comments about the hoverboards are spot on, here is a photo of the hoverboards in Universal's prop department in 1993, none of those seem right, colors schemes off and some materials appear different than legit ones. History was always so important even back then.
407462_355326677818532_100000236088367_1343460_94145466_n.jpg

I would like to know what prevented the Icons Jupiter 2 model from being released? I had a pre-order for one and saw the prototype in pictures. BTW, I did scarf up other Icons merchandise from ex-employees back in the day. A BSG Viper and a SST Roger Young was some of the items I bid and won on EBay.

Whoa...that shot from Universal Studios prop rental department I have never seen before. Yes, 100% correct. Proves other collectors also visited the rental departments of studios & networks hunting down originals.

Same as old time collectors did at Western Costume, people like Terry Smith, Rick Scwartz etc.

And yes, things wrong on the replicas switched out for the originals. Good thing is the lead BTF collectors back in the day have been good about keeping an eye out for the repros that were eventually gotten out of the studios by sellers and collectors, thinking they had the real thing.

The Night Gallery's can be distinguished by the reverse side of the painting. Supposed to be on smooth surface masonite board. Not textured. A professional oil painter was hired to reproduce about 11 of them, which were returned to Universal.

Hi Rusty, Re: The thick ( 84 page ) Icons Vault Catalog/magazine # 3, I don't know if I have en extra one. I held on to a few of them, but they ended up being collectible. They do show up on eBay on occassion. Sometimes they sell high, other times they sell for less. That Vault really shows the mindset of the company in the Spring / Summer of 1998. We ( 63 of us ) were determined not to let the company go under. That issue really was the swansong of Icons marketing & graphic design department.

Jim, hey, Willie here... Can you tell me a little more about this Aliens armor you guys had on display back in the day?

iconsaliensarmor1small.jpg

iconsaliensarmor2small.jpg

Greetings SSRN Seaview - I am writing a Jupiter 2 overview. Which was quite a journey. Both wonderful & horrific. So will post shortly. Sorry for what you experienced. Please email / message me directly.

Thanks.

RE: The Hudson Colonial Marines Armor From Aliens depicted above -

Greetings Willie, Wow. Wonderful to see those photos. As you know that is a set of Aliens Colonial Marines armor that Terry English brought with him from the U.K. to the U.S. in 1996, that he displayed at the San Diego Comic Con in the Icons booth. He along with Syd Mead made an appearance at our booth.

At the time, it was the last set of original armor that Terry kept from the film. I owned a set of Hick's armor acquired from the remains of the Alien Wars attraction in London. ( < this find is an interesting story. ) Terry was making limited edition replicas for some collectors for between 3K to 4K at the time. And they were gorgeous. Difficult to tell them from the originals they were so accurate.

Terry told me that one Saturday morning during the filming of Aliens, the actors, Jim Cameron and Terry went to a local junk shop in the UK and Jim said to the actors: "I want you to personalize your armor with Terry." Look around, if you see something buy it and decorate your armor. Or tell Terry what you want painted or wriiten on your armor other then your character name. To make it appear as if you have actually worn it a while. Like you wore it in battle and have personalized it over time."

Icons displayed my Hero Pulse Rifle from Aliens which is shown to the right. ( Which was an actual decativated 45. Thompson, weighed a ton and the bolt action was incredible ) And the bar on the right as you may know is a pole affixed to the back of an original T-2 Endoskeleton loanded to Icons by Danny Simon of The Licensing Group.

I don't know if anyone will care about the following but I will post it just in case. As Terry English is a great artist as well as human being.

As most RPF members know Terry is a Film armorer who fabricated armor for films such as Excalibur, Batman & Robin ( Mr. Freeze's costume ), Gladiator, The Messenger, the Harry Potter films and most recently Clash of the Titans. He also restored historical armor owned by the Queen in the Tower of London.

Terry and I became dear friends through his mutual association with Planet Hollywood 20 years ago. As he sold them many pieces and ended up as a creative consultant in many ways.

I produced a 15th Anniversary exhibit of Excalibur ( I was and am a huge fan of the film )at the Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire in 1995. Terry lived with me and my lady for 9 weeks at the time in Studio City, Ca. and we had a lot of fun and laughs. His stories were awesome. He was always building things on my patio. Designing, making art out of nothing. He could take a broken door or a rock and make a work of art. A true artistic genius.

Terry had just finished working on the film First Knight and we attended the First Knight World Premiere ( Terry's experience on First Knight is a story in itself, as they did not use his beautiful armor designs and used the V neck chest armor. He was broken-hearted by this ) at Sony Studios. Terry brought a beautiful model adorned in custom armor with him as his date. When we went to pick up an executive from Planet Hollywood in the limo on the way to the premiere, and I informed the exec on the phone that Terry had a model on his arm dressed in armor he said he would not ride with us to the event. We pulled up in the limo, he stuck his head in and he let out a gasp. As she was beyond stunning. He could not stop smiling. When we climbed out of the limo the press photographers went bonkers and the next day a photo of Terry and the model was in the Hollywood Reporter. : )

Terry eventually mentored a few young prop / wardrobe makers here in Los Angeles during Batman & Robin who I introduced him to. And Terry taught him his mostly private techniques in creating Film armor. They ended up creating a L.A. based SPFX shop together. Sadly things went south for various reasons, and Terry left the company. This took a lot of U.S. business away from Terry evidently.

Terry does make appearances at conventions and is a very friendly, gracious and warm person. If you haven't met him I hope someday you will soon.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back