Icarus - Planet of the Apes Spacecraft ANSA - FTL - Model Custom build

Harada357

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I finally picked up the Fantastic plastic Icarus Resin Kit. I loved the full ship design - but wanted to customize it with the 1960's Apollo Look. I kit bashed a few Saturn V kits and this is what I came up with. I wanted a FTL engine section on the ship. I also have a second stage that would be detached in orbit for the the forward lander to make the decent. Pictures of that later. This is still a build in progress - decals and finishing still need to be done. The paint is still wet.
This is the Kit from Fantastic Plastics - LOVE IT !
icarusboxart2_orig.jpg
icarus-main-1_orig.jpg
icarus-underside-1_orig.jpg

My take on this fantastic design:
20220617_061726.jpg
20220615_123936.jpg
20220615_124048.jpg

I like the additions. Makes it look more space worthy and the angled engines is a nice touch to generate tilts and turns. Maybe the triangular "wings" at the tip could be hollow and hold small angled thrusters as well for smaller turns and direction corrections?

I was thinking that there needed to be some thrusters to make adjustments - during flight and in space. I did not want to change the kit design itself too much because it was Awesome. I do have a two foot long stage this attaches to during the flight. Still working on that. Not far enough along to post yet. /thanks for the comments. !!! T have control surfaces for atmosphere - but decided not to add them after getting this far and liking what I saw.

I was thinking that there needed to be some thrusters to make adjustments - during flight and in space. I did not want to change the kit design itself too much because it was Awesome. I do have a two foot long stage this attaches to during the flight. Still working on that. Not far enough along to post yet. /thanks for the comments. !!! T have control surfaces for atmosphere - but decided not to add them after getting this far and liking what I saw.
If you don't want to alter the kit by adding stuff, you could always just paint it on or add a small decal indicating thruster exhausts, or something.

Even though the winged Gemini capsule has been extended…I might put an even longer fairing for a launch vehicle/stardrive.

Maybe make that whole assembly a Starbird head…it would look a bit like Prince Barin’s ships from Arboria.

Even though the winged Gemini capsule has been extended…I might put an even longer fairing for a launch vehicle/stardrive.

Maybe make that whole assembly a Starbird head…it would look a bit like Prince Barin’s ships from Arboria.
I have an entire kit bashed section that will attach to the command landing capsule. It is under construction. I will post pictures when it is a little further along. I was thinking while re-watching the planet of the apes movie - that the astronauts that took this mission had less supplies than most people have on their boat for emergencies. The backpacks only provided them with food and water for three days. There may have been a land rover and other supplies aboard the capsule - but it did not seem built for long trips. But at the time - it was the most fascinating Movie Space Vehicle ever designed. Everyone remembers the crash landing and sinking of the ship from the movie. It have fascinated baby boomers ever since. I will see if I have a couple of pictures of my parts under construction for the main drive stage. and post them. THANK YOU FOR THE COMMENTS - The Icarus is a "Bucket list" of classic spacecraft.

Working on the booster stage. The crashed vehicle seen in Beneath the Planet of the Apes was long and appeared to have landing gear. This model is a little different in design - and I believe that a ship traveling needs engines and supplies for the trip. The second stage is just some other ideas for a concept ANSA starship. Just having some fun with the build.
109926_orig.jpg

icarus-fictionmodel09.jpg

But my concept is more like - and extended Apollo Type design rather than a Space Shuttle design.
c60605544534a6bfa63616c1420c14c2.jpg

20220622_191237.jpg
20220622_191105.jpg
20220622_191147.jpg
20220622_191132.jpg

The Red and Blue stripe Decals curled up when I put a final gloss coat on the model. Now I have to do a redo on the stripes and shape up the black stage separation line.

If you plan to clear coat something with decals I believe you need to seal the decals beforehand. I see that done on several miniature military model kit assembly and paint videos on youtube.

Here's an idea...put that in place of the nose of the Super Swift of Space 1999. I can see a shared universe where nukes have unusual properties. The Breakaway blast and gravity plates interacted with an anomaly...that later allowed the capsule two survive the Alpha Omega detonation-naquadah?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back