I ROBOT Spooner ID and Badge

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Walter, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Walter

Walter Sr Member

I just thought I should change the title of the thread to keep up with the current discussion.

-Bryan

I know someone did a run of the Spooner ID from I ROBOT, but how was it made? What was used for the hologram smart chip thing?

Who did the run?

After seeing Bothanspy's for sale thread, I am really curious as to how this was made.

-Bryan

2. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd be very interested on some info as well.

3. bothanspy

bothanspy Sr Member

PM sent.

4. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Can you share that PM info with me too?

5. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

ohhh no... what "for sale" thread?

*EDIT* i found it...

thought it was the light up wallet and badge... did ANYONE do one of those?

NWJEDI
    dave

6. Walter

Walter Sr Member

Well... I just purchased the one on the FS thread... So I guess I will find out how it was made first hand.

;)

So did anyone ever do the light up badge prop?

Gary, thanks for the PM...

-Bryan

7. dkwd

dkwd Well-Known Member

I believe from the old thread that the weave pattern was carbon matt, and the holograms were wireless? smart card connections?

David

8. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Had to back out of the JY purchase as I had a little "incident" (read about it in the OT) that caused an unexpected shortage of funds. Glad that bbabich was able to take advantage of it.

Here's some pictures that I have of the ID and it's construction. I think most, if not all the images, were posted here before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can definately see from this screen used ID that it's done in layers...
    [​IMG]

I would definately be all over a lit up version. I thought a few people were working on one but never saw much happen. I did remember seeing a badge that was coming along nicely, appeared that it would light up as advertised but then... nothing.
    [​IMG]

9. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

does anyone have a clear image of the chicago PD logo that's used on the cards?

10. Walter

Walter Sr Member

SG-

I just read your OT post and I am really sorry about the accident. I am just glad that you are ok.

In regards to the badge prop, those are some great pics of the ID.

I hope at some point someone does decide to pick the badge part of the project up... as I would be very interested. I have to admit I did not LOVE the movie, but the props in this movie were killer.

-Bryan

11. SurferGeek

12. turok96

turok96 Well-Known Member

Any update on this?

13. SurferGeek

Juan, check out the link I posted in regards to the larger Chicago Police emblem. If you are referring to more info on this project? The images that I posted above were used to replicate the Spooner ID that Bothanspy purchased on Ebay and later sold in the JY. As for the lighted badge? I'm not sure but it's been stagnant for quite some time. If you are asking regarding the PM that Bothanspy sent to bbabich? That was just to inform him that I had to turn down the ID he was selling and he was next in line to purchase it.

I think that about covers it... :lol

Unless you're talking about something else entirely?

14. Walter

Walter Sr Member

I think that about sums everything up. ;)

I think the light up badge project died a slow death. It may turn out to be one of those things that comes up from time to time and then disappears again. The light up badge is not an east project to tackle, so it is not like you can blame anyone for not wanting to take it on.

Just my

2 cents

-Bryan

15. irishjedi

irishjedi Well-Known Member

Maybe these are helpful - I took them at a recent meseum prop display (iRobot was heavily featured):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy.
    Todd

16. turok96

turok96 Well-Known Member

Thanks for an update surfergeek. I guess it sums it up, but hopefully one day this will end up a completely finished project and for sale in the JY. By the way, Irish jedi those are nice close up pics of the the id and badge, thanks for sharing them with the rest of us. :D

17. Funky

Well, I don't believe the wallet is leather at all. Is it me or doesn't that look like Kydex? Very similar to the ST TOS comm shell.

18. 8 perf

8 perf Sr Member

The link that surfer geek posted to the large pic of the Chicago "Star" image was one that I did back when this project was going strong. I am not entirely convinced it is correct, but did the best I could with the info we had at the time. I'm glad someone thought it was good enough to use on an actual prop. Sorry I missed the post in the JY.

19. muttley

muttley Well-Known Member

I am really interested in this prop too. the card looks really doable. And I agreed, the wallet looks like hard textured plastic on the inside.

How about the badge? are there any sources for the badge that can be lit up?

Did it light up upon opening and was it just the badge? you can see some wiring going accross the spine, just wondering if there are lights in the ID area too...seems you could put all the LED and wiring on the badge side if you wanted to.

I'd love to see this come together, my spooner guns need some company :D

mutt

20. 8 perf

8 perf Sr Member

Not sure what "Kydex" is, a brand name perhaps. BUT, I have at work, 1/8 inch thinck ABS plastic withthat same "haircell" pattern on it. Not too sure how easy it would be to cut something 2 or 3 layers thick like that, but..........
    As for the i.d. parts, most of the graphic files were posted here at one time or another. Mayne someone has them archived and can re-host/ post them.

21. Kris

Kris Sr Member

Also notice that the pattern is grey rectangles on a black background, not a gre-black checkboard :)

22. Funky

I've already got the ID card covered. The wallet I'm certain that I can do. I even know how it was lit up and reletively easy to do. The badge is holding up this entire project. If I can get someone to sculpt it accurately, I even know the correct resin to cast this up in and I even have someone ready to make copies using a pressure pot. I just need a master of the badge and this project will pretty much come to full succession. At this point, I don't even have enough enthusiasm to to go forward with this project until I can get someone to sculpt the badge...I even posted in the JY for someone who can do the job. I'm certain once it's done (if ever) the rest of the project will be downhill.

23. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Im working on the BADGE PART.

Also have a pressure pot.

24. muttley

AWESOME..

can't wait for that badge.

my searches on threads for Spooner ID's are only coming up with the recent stuff. I read that there are already images/parts for the ID card. where can I find the old thread, and does anyone have a tutorial on what exactly to do (like what is the order of the layers, found items, etc)

thanks..

25. Funky

Frank, you and I may need to talk. :)

Muttley, PM sent on the ID card.

26. Deric

Deric Sr Member

You can see how the opening for the A in Chicago was suppossed tp have the the center there. If someone would cast the badge in brass I think you would have a winner. Maybe even cold cast

[​IMG]

27. Hellclaw 01

Hellclaw 01 Well-Known Member

If it were to be cast in brass, you would not be able to light it up ;)

28. muttley

to me it looks like the brass colored parts are separate from the clear parts. I get that feeling from the tabs that hold together the holes in the letters and the points of the star. I think that's what Hellclaw meant.

Brass would be awesome, but I suppose that resin is easier and cheaper...and who doesn't like cheap and easy :p

29. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

That philosophy got me into a lot of trouble in High School.

I'd also be interested in seeing how this comes out. Frank's done some amazing work with his Viper models, so I have no doubt that he can pull this off.

30. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Can photoetched brass be employed on a dimensional object like this?

Obviously the letterforms are punched out... the glow is behind the milky white part, which you see thru the holes in the brass.

- k

31. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A friendly bump to see where this project stands.

Would love to see a fully-finished, lighted badge-ID-wallet combo made available. :love

32. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Im working on Badge castings.

33. temponaut

This is good news. :D

Are these castings in clear resin? From a screen-used badge?

I don't know how I can help, but am ready to assist if something comes up.

Please keep us informed. :thumbsup

34. Walter

Walter Sr Member

Hey, this is good news. To be honest, I thought this project had faded again... just being a realist...

Bryan

35. muttley

any ideas for materials on the actual wallet? from the pics it looks like the wallet may be something like foam core wrapped in leather or plastic. the edges in some shots look pretty rough and you can see the exposed edges.

[​IMG]

I circled what I mean.

also does anyone have the logo for the center? if they are cast in clear that is gonna have to be a clear sticker or something to look right.

I met a guy at the last con in Dallas that said he could cast his screen used badge in clear.

36. temponaut

<div class='quotetop'>(muttley @ May 23 2006, 02:08 AM) [snapback]1248689[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, you're right about that. It sure looks like foam.

<div class='quotetop'>(muttley @ May 23 2006, 02:08 AM) [snapback]1248689[/snapback]</div>
    Check out Post #11 of this thread. There's a link to replica of the Chicago PD logo from the film.

37. muttley

<div class='quotetop'>(temponaut @ May 22 2006, 12:12 PM) [snapback]1248694[/snapback]</div>
    cool. it's very close, but they are not exactly the same from the ID card to the badge center. I think the graphic in the center with the building is the same, but does anyone have an idea what the words say around the center of the badge?

I could give it a go in photoshop if we knew what it said. maybe an established date?

[​IMG]

neil

38. temponaut

<div class='quotetop'>(muttley @ May 23 2006, 02:20 AM) [snapback]1248698[/snapback]</div>
    [​IMG]

Dude, check out the whole thread from the beginning. Lots of juicy information ready, willing, and waiting. :love

39. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

i could contribute to this project by offereing the centergraphic on clear sheet. I have it as a .AI file. All i would ask is that myself and my buddy SithSheriff Brody both get either a kit of the wallet or finished ones.

here's a pic of a replica gun and badge i did with one of the printed graphics:
    [​IMG]

Marc

40. muttley

<div class='quotetop'>(temponaut @ May 22 2006, 12:31 PM) [snapback]1248704[/snapback]</div>

dangit...I though I dredged over all the pics in thread. :unsure

I had good intentions. man, what is it about the center of that pic and the center of the screencap that look different? Even just that pic looks like something is off.

Hey LeMarchand, where is that badge from? If it is from I movie looks like I gotta another prop I need to track down.

41. temponaut

<div class='quotetop'>(muttley @ May 23 2006, 03:39 AM) [snapback]1248749[/snapback]</div>
    :lol Happens to the best of us.

<div class='quotetop'>(muttley @ May 23 2006, 03:39 AM) [snapback]1248749[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm. Not sure what it could be. I compared them side-by-side and they look the same to me, except of course that one is backlit and out of focus. The focus issue aside, could the backlighting itself account for what you feel is the difference in appearance? For example, it seems as if the lighting washes out some of the details in the building under the scales, which could cause the logos to appear to be slightly different.

42. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

Both the gun and badge were cast of my screen used gun and badge. I had the graphic for the resin badges traced by my buddy and graphicswizard Mike.

Marc

43. muttley

<div class='quotetop'>(LeMarchand @ May 22 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]1248769[/snapback]</div>

sweet. who's badge is it? Did spooner use 2 badges? one says 9644A and the othe says 4084D. I hadn't seen the one with the Eagle before.

(please don't let it be in the first posts of this thread. I SWEAR Temponaut I read em.... :angel )

44. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, I drew the 'building' and what-not in Illustrator from a scan of Marc's badge. Marc's badge was numbered 9644A (presumably some background officer). Spooner's badge number is obviously 4084D. I included both numbers in the graphics that were sent out, so the customer could have a choice.

-Mike

45. muttley

[​IMG]

playing around with the badge center.

I think what I see as a yellow building is just my eyes playing tricks on me. I dunno.

Neil

edit BTW just messin around with this. If Marc and Sith already have it in AI that would be the best. I'm just the DIY type...speaking of that I need to get on that wallet :p

46. b26354

b26354 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(muttley @ May 23 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]1248946[/snapback]</div>
    Try using "chicago" for the text

[​IMG]

47. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

here's a closeup of the badge graphic Mike did for me. Compared to the sticker on my screen used badge he got it dead on:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

48. temponaut

Any progress here?

Still hoping that we can make the light-up Spooner badge/ID/wallet combo a reality. :love

49. temponaut

Time for the regular six-week bump. :p

Any light at the end of this tunnel? :love

50. muttley

man, I have just moved into my new place. okay by just I mean 4 weeks agao, but dam there are boxes everywhere.

at a local con I picked up an ID and a clear badge.

now I gots no clue what to do next, much less where its all packed away