I have a dream!!!!

Its interesting...cause those renders on Starshipbuilder are different then the real model. Not hugely, but they are. Take for example the rear of the engine bell on the last render. Notice the square detail blocks that ring it? I can't find them on any screen capture I have done of the 1:1 or CG from the show. It's smooth all around the engine bell on the show, at least on any image I can find....so the question becomes...why?

In general, Im sticking to the CG for the exterior and 1:1 for the interior. In some cases where the detail isn't visible for the CG on the outside, or is more clearly referenced on the exterior hanger shots of the 1:1 Ill go with that, but Ill post some pictures later and bounce some questions off y'all for advice.

THANKS.

Originally posted by star-art@Jul 2 2005, 10:54 PM
Where do you think he got is reference? ;) I didn't provide it myself, but I did hook him up. . .

Now who's going to build us all a Shuttle MkII?

:D
[snapback]1025654[/snapback]​

Good question. Do you know anybody close to you that could help? ;)

Sure. But will they have the time and energy to do it anytime soon??? Lots of other projects in the way I would imagine. . .

;)

Hey all.

Well "straight from the horses mouth" I can give you the answers :)
That model is the real CGI one, but yes it is slightly different than you may have seen.
Version 1 was built for the miniseries and closely (although not as closely as the Vipers) matches the fullsize prop. Version 2 was the same model with a new paint job for the series. The sets and props were much more weathered for the series so the CG models had to be updated. One of the problems with the raptor (both real and CG) was the lack of details, especially on the engines. So version3 was made adding some extra 'nurnie' details to the V2 model. It's not used in every shot, mostly in close-ups of the back end, but it is the 'offical' version that should be used now. Also the V2 and V3 models are only used at Zoic, as about half the FX shots are done by other companies they will be using the original V1 model.

The interior of the CG model is fairly simple compared to the set piece, but it's enough for any shots that are needed and if the camera is that close then the prop can and is used. There isn't a seperate interior set for the raptor, the just cram the camera man and a (very) small crew in the back of the prop and yes the curved class on the front is a pain.

That's about it :)

L

Originally posted by Jestefarean@Jul 2 2005, 11:50 PM
Its interesting...cause those renders on Starshipbuilder are different then the real model.  Not hugely, but they are.  Take for example the rear of the engine bell on the last render.  Notice the square detail blocks that ring it?  I can't find them on any screen capture I have done of the 1:1 or CG from the show.  It's smooth all around the engine bell on the show, at least on any image I can find....so the question becomes...why? 

In general, Im sticking to the CG for the exterior and 1:1 for the interior.  In some cases where the detail isn't visible for the CG on the outside, or is more clearly referenced on the exterior hanger shots of the 1:1 Ill go with that, but Ill post some pictures later and bounce some questions off y'all for advice.

THANKS.
[snapback]1025672[/snapback]​

Thanks for the update Lee. I added your comments to the post of the render on my site so everyone will know what's up. Thanks again for providing these. :)

Lee,

THANK YOU SO MUCH...... THATS WHAT I NEEDED TO HEAR.... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...

Star-Art, CobyWan, and all involved (there are many, and I'm not naming folks unless they chime in) Thanks again for your efforts with this project. We are still a long way off..but we get closer every day. :)

Originally posted by star-art@Jul 3 2005, 12:27 AM
Sure. But will they have the time and energy to do it anytime soon??? Lots of other projects in the way I would imagine. . .

;)
[snapback]1025687[/snapback]​

I should have some time soon. I think that the team efforts, like this Raptor project, seen here are the way to go with these big projects. I couldn't do it on my own but I could help out. I've been having a blast helping people out on these projects.

Originally posted by cobywan+Jul 2 2005, 11:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cobywan @ Jul 2 2005, 11:45 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-star-art
@Jul 3 2005, 12:27 AM

;)
[snapback]1025687[/snapback]​

I should have some time soon. I think that the team efforts, like this Raptor project, seen here are the way to go with these big projects. I couldn't do it on my own but I could help out. I've been having a blast helping people out on these projects.
[snapback]1025787[/snapback]​
[/b]

"YOU HAD ME AT HELLO."

I couldn't agree more Coby. I have been thinking about a couple "next" projects and I think a team concept is absolutely the way to go. I have no choice, because I can't sculpt...but having several hands on the project seems to result in a better final result. I was toying with Colonial One or the Shuttle as a possible someday idea (nothing official...just noodling it) if you guys want to collaborate Im in. (and if you don't need me thats cool too. ) B)

LOL. Thank you Captain.

Everyone, may I introduce my friend, Captain America. He's the one responsible for all the sculpting on my dream.

Thanks...

I like the Raptor....but that Bubble on the front conopy really hurts the design for me. Keep up the good work.

Chris

Originally posted by Dobber@Jul 4 2005, 09:44 AM
I like the Raptor....but that Bubble on the front conopy really hurts the design for me. Keep up the good work.

Chris
[snapback]1026376[/snapback]​

Funny...I feel the same way...its the only thing that doesn't look right to me. Im thinking about maybe making a version with less of a bubble just for me. (or do it without glass. ) I do find I like the design more and more as I look at it...and Im hoping it will make an excellent display piece. Im planning on lighting the tar out of it...doorway lights, all the instrumentation lights, exterior lights...cockpit...plus a few pilots...

...Im getting all excitied again. :p :D :)

Originally posted by Captain April@Jul 4 2005, 09:28 AM
Hey Captain, is that renshape or mdf you are using for you model?
[snapback]1026370[/snapback]​

yes, it's renshape... More precisely, a similar product made by Axson called Prolab.

That renshape is real nice stuff,if Prolab is anything like it, then that going to be one nice model. Model is looking great. Keep up to date.

Originally posted by Jestefarean+Jul 4 2005, 10:54 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jestefarean @ Jul 4 2005, 10:54 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Dobber
@Jul 4 2005, 09:44 AM

Chris
[snapback]1026376[/snapback]​

Funny...I feel the same way...its the only thing that doesn't look right to me. Im thinking about maybe making a version with less of a bubble just for me. (or do it without glass. ) I do find I like the design more and more as I look at it...and Im hoping it will make an excellent display piece. Im planning on lighting the tar out of it...doorway lights, all the instrumentation lights, exterior lights...cockpit...plus a few pilots...

...Im getting all excitied again. :p :D :)
[snapback]1026382[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yeah, I think a flat windscreen would look soooo much better. I'd like to see your version, if you make it.

Chris

She gets a little farther every week. This is all the tough work. There are so many angles and we want to try and make it perfect. It would be easy (easier) to skimp and make it close..but I really want it to be spot on. :)

Its starting to take shape...no?

raptornose.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back