I have a dream!!!!

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Jestefarean, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

So..a while back this idea hit me...and it finally looks like it will happen. I love my TOS BSG Studio stuff, and I love F+M's MK2 nicely in scale with it and of course I love Wolsters awesome Raiders...but as I see it...my ceiling won't be complete without one of these babies in scale pealing away from the action. Its still a long way off, but I thought I would share what there is and Ill try to keep you guys up with the progress as it comes. I know its a long way off right now, and I probably shouldn't be getting anyones hopes up, especially my own, but hopefully, in the end, it will be as cool as I dream it will be. :) (opening doors, lights, figures, the works. )

[​IMG]

2. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

Here are a few more pictures.

BTW...I am not the person sculpting this...I'm not that talanted (yet.. ) Im also not the person talanted enough to draw it out (thanks CW. ) I'm just the person who "needed it" ;) It will be in 1/24 scale...and suprisingly about the same length as the MK2...though wider. Someday it's going to look cool...I know right where in my room itll hang.

[​IMG]

3. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

Last one for now...wish me luck (please. )

[​IMG]

4. Chrima

Chrima New Member

Great, you guys really won't be happy until you have all my money will you?

Seriously, looks like a great start. I was hoping to see one of these get done. I hope that some day I'll have the time to scratch build some of my own stuff.

Heck, I can barely find the time to finish the kits I buy.

I look forward to seeing future progress shots. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

5. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

Thanks. Those shots show me exactly what to draw next.

6. spacenut

spacenut New Member

Oh man, what a way to start the day . Please tell me that this is going to be available as a kit ? (PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE .) It looks great and would look great in a (big) display with the MII and MK VII vipers... Please keep us posted.
    This is turning into a great summer for models :)

7. Dobber

Dobber Well-Known Member

That's awesome Jesse... Hope it makes it to completion.. Now we just need to see a MK VII.

Chris

8. KrokoHunter

KrokoHunter Sr Member

WOW.

Cool idea for a modeling subject.

I like the design.

Best of luck with the project

9. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

Thanks for doing the drawing. :) .

Thanks for the positive comments all....Ill keep posting pics as it comes together.

10. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ummm what is it

I kid :p Looking good Jess

Greg

11. spacenut

spacenut New Member

From mutterings I've heard from Frank and Moe inc. the Mk VII is in the works....

12. Dobber

Dobber Well-Known Member

Yup, can't wait to get a peek at it....

Chris

13. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

Well...slowly but surely...moving right along. :)

[​IMG]

14. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

sides are getting closer...door fram shape and the indents next to it are coming together (both were a pain Im told. )

[​IMG]

15. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

And the begining of the engine is going together

[​IMG]

16. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

There have been some interesting problems. I knew the 1:1 and the CG model were different...but I didn't realize just how different they were...now its starting to become clear that on the details they are in some cases not even close. Its been hard to decide whether to match the CG or the 1:1... (any thoughts on this? Which is cannon? )

[​IMG]

17. star-art

star-art Sr Member

That's a tough call. Since this was built as a full-size, 360-degree set piece and fully detailed, I would probably match the set piece. The CG model has not spent a huge amount of time on screen -- not enough that you could spot all the details on it. Then again, neither has the set piece, unless you count all the cockpit scenes (which was a separate set I believe). Well, it's easily argued either way.

18. spacenut

spacenut New Member

Pick one ( cgi or the full sized one) and go for it. As long as your true to one or the other, no one can nit pick. Great work. Can't wait to see it done... and a kit of it in my mail box . ;)

19. Captain April

Captain April Sr Member

20. star-art

star-art Sr Member

Where do you think he got is reference? ;) I didn't provide it myself, but I did hook him up. . .

Now who's going to build us all a Shuttle MkII?

:D

21. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

Its interesting...cause those renders on Starshipbuilder are different then the real model. Not hugely, but they are. Take for example the rear of the engine bell on the last render. Notice the square detail blocks that ring it? I can't find them on any screen capture I have done of the 1:1 or CG from the show. It's smooth all around the engine bell on the show, at least on any image I can find....so the question becomes...why?

In general, Im sticking to the CG for the exterior and 1:1 for the interior. In some cases where the detail isn't visible for the CG on the outside, or is more clearly referenced on the exterior hanger shots of the 1:1 Ill go with that, but Ill post some pictures later and bounce some questions off y'all for advice.

THANKS.

22. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

Good question. Do you know anybody close to you that could help? ;)

23. star-art

star-art Sr Member

Sure. But will they have the time and energy to do it anytime soon??? Lots of other projects in the way I would imagine. . .

;)

24. Lee S

Lee S Sr Member

Hey all.

Well "straight from the horses mouth" I can give you the answers :)
    That model is the real CGI one, but yes it is slightly different than you may have seen.
    Version 1 was built for the miniseries and closely (although not as closely as the Vipers) matches the fullsize prop. Version 2 was the same model with a new paint job for the series. The sets and props were much more weathered for the series so the CG models had to be updated. One of the problems with the raptor (both real and CG) was the lack of details, especially on the engines. So version3 was made adding some extra 'nurnie' details to the V2 model. It's not used in every shot, mostly in close-ups of the back end, but it is the 'offical' version that should be used now. Also the V2 and V3 models are only used at Zoic, as about half the FX shots are done by other companies they will be using the original V1 model.

The interior of the CG model is fairly simple compared to the set piece, but it's enough for any shots that are needed and if the camera is that close then the prop can and is used. There isn't a seperate interior set for the raptor, the just cram the camera man and a (very) small crew in the back of the prop and yes the curved class on the front is a pain.

That's about it :)

L

25. star-art

star-art Sr Member

Thanks for the update Lee. I added your comments to the post of the render on my site so everyone will know what's up. Thanks again for providing these. :)

26. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

Lee,

THANK YOU SO MUCH...... THATS WHAT I NEEDED TO HEAR.... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...

Star-Art, CobyWan, and all involved (there are many, and I'm not naming folks unless they chime in) Thanks again for your efforts with this project. We are still a long way off..but we get closer every day. :)

27. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

I should have some time soon. I think that the team efforts, like this Raptor project, seen here are the way to go with these big projects. I couldn't do it on my own but I could help out. I've been having a blast helping people out on these projects.

28. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

"YOU HAD ME AT HELLO."

I couldn't agree more Coby. I have been thinking about a couple "next" projects and I think a team concept is absolutely the way to go. I have no choice, because I can't sculpt...but having several hands on the project seems to result in a better final result. I was toying with Colonial One or the Shuttle as a possible someday idea (nothing official...just noodling it) if you guys want to collaborate Im in. (and if you don't need me thats cool too. ) B)

29. captain america

captain america New Member

Hi Jesse.

Nice to see the progress pics posted :thumbsup

30. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

LOL. Thank you Captain.

Everyone, may I introduce my friend, Captain America. He's the one responsible for all the sculpting on my dream.

Thanks...

31. buckettt

buckettt Well-Known Member

looks cool

32. Captain April

Captain April Sr Member

Hey Captain, is that renshape or mdf you are using for you model?

33. Dobber

Dobber Well-Known Member

I like the Raptor....but that Bubble on the front conopy really hurts the design for me. Keep up the good work.

Chris

34. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

Funny...I feel the same way...its the only thing that doesn't look right to me. Im thinking about maybe making a version with less of a bubble just for me. (or do it without glass. ) I do find I like the design more and more as I look at it...and Im hoping it will make an excellent display piece. Im planning on lighting the tar out of it...doorway lights, all the instrumentation lights, exterior lights...cockpit...plus a few pilots...

...Im getting all excitied again. :p :D :)

35. captain america

yes, it's renshape... More precisely, a similar product made by Axson called Prolab.

36. Captain April

Captain April Sr Member

That renshape is real nice stuff,if Prolab is anything like it, then that going to be one nice model. Model is looking great. Keep up to date.

37. Dobber

Dobber Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think a flat windscreen would look soooo much better. I'd like to see your version, if you make it.

Chris

38. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

She gets a little farther every week. This is all the tough work. There are so many angles and we want to try and make it perfect. It would be easy (easier) to skimp and make it close..but I really want it to be spot on. :)

Its starting to take shape...no?

[​IMG]

39. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

A little of the detail in the back is coming around too...

[​IMG]

40. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

...and up front

[​IMG]

41. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

...and the tail...

[​IMG]

Well...so far...Im very pleased. We have realized that we have some choices with the differences between the CG models and the 1:1. I think for the interior we will do our best to do the 1:1. For the exterior Im leaning towards the detailed CG...what do you all think?

42. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

I can tell you guys. From working on drawings, that tail section is a bear. Great work there Cap'n.

43. spacenut

spacenut New Member

sounds like the best of both worlds, thats what I'd do...

44. captain america

Hi Coby.

The tail end actually wasn't as difficult as it looks; the cabin and the main hatch however... What a FRACKing pain those were :lol

45. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

I think the wings will work out OK for you though. I did quite a bit of head scratching on them. Let me know if you need more info.

46. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

* this is going to be sweet :)

47. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

Thanks again Coby....

Im suprised the back wasn't harder looked like a pain to me too.

48. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

and each day it gets a little closer. :)

Early update this time as it won't be getting worked on over the weekend. Im starting to get jazzed as it starts to look more real. Hope you enjoy.

[​IMG]

49. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

Tail is coming together...as is the main fuselage. Wings will be a big project soon.

[​IMG]

50. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

a shot of the back...

[​IMG]