I Found Some Crispy.

Mola Rob

Sr Member
I was going through some old family possessions and I came across this thingÂ…

Front.jpg

I looked at it for a bit and then opened it up. Being a big Trek geek I couldnÂ’t help but think it looked like a communicator in a wayÂ…

Open1.jpg

Open2.jpg

Inside I was surprised to find something that looked like Phaser Crispy. I unscrewed it and looked at the back and there was a diamond pattern similar to the Crispy pattern.

Crispy1.jpg

Crispy2.jpg

I grabbed my camera and took some pics to share. You just never know what you will find buried away in some box. Weird.

Thanks Wackychimp.

It's the long-lost Prototype Communicator Prop, hand made by Wah Chang. Roddenberry hated it, but was heard to remark, "but that patterned foil there has got possibilities." B)

what Karl meant to saw was it looks like an early 60's folding bulb type flash unit. :p

john :cool

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ May 4 2006, 11:49 PM) [snapback]1238702[/snapback]</div>
It's the long-lost Prototype Communicator Prop, hand made by Wah Chang. Roddenberry hated it, but was heard to remark, "but that patterned foil there has got possibilities." B)
[/b]

Its a Kodak Pocket Flasholder model B-1 made in the late fifties early 60's. Maybe Wah had one and thought it would make a cool looking space thingy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Watchman @ May 5 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]1239126[/snapback]</div>
So what is the origin of the crispy anyway. Has it ever been discovered?
[/b]

i have one of the old ice trays that used to be believed to be the source.

never compared the pattern to a known piece though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Watchman @ May 5 2006, 08:30 PM) [snapback]1239218[/snapback]</div>
Cool. Do you have any pics?
[/b]

found his one a while back at an old ladies house, she was using it to feed her cat in, cat lost his "dish" :angel

have not cleaned it but it looks close .

the top is sharper than the bottom.

oh , and yes i did add a jewel to my MR ,,,, hang me up and whip me. :lol

Awesome. Thanks for the pic. The jewel looks nice on the MR, I would like to add one to mine and fatten up the body a little as well. :p

The thumbwheel on the flasholder did not escape my attention. Its actually used to attach the flasholder to the camera. I will take some pics tomorrow of the whole setup if anyone is interested.

Hey blufive there is something very disturbing about your avatar although I can't quite pin it down. :confused

The avatar is a screencap from the first season Star Trek TOS episode "What Are Little Girls Made Of?". Shatner is holding a stalactite he broke from the ceiling of the cave.

:D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blufive @ May 5 2006, 10:58 PM) [snapback]1239270[/snapback]</div>
The avatar is a screencap from the first season Star Trek TOS episode "What Are Little Girls Made Of?". Shatner is holding a stalactite he broke from the ceiling of the cave.

:D
[/b]

I recognize the scene, it just reminds me of A Clockwork Orange a little too much. :lol

Anyone find any current items with the Aluminum 60 degree extra crispy diamond pattern? I haven't had any luck at Walgreens.

I've only found one case and I sent that off to the machine shop to have it laser cut. I haven't been able to locate any more.

:(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(redshirt @ May 7 2006, 07:58 PM) [snapback]1240287[/snapback]</div>
Anyone find any current items with the Aluminum 60 degree extra crispy diamond pattern? I haven't had any luck at Walgreens.
[/b]

Not real sure about the angle but check out the Texas Hold Um sets at Wal Mart.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back