How to build sliders timer electronics

Here is the final revision of the sliders timer electronics build guide:

http://timerslide.com/guide.zip

I'm working on an alternate guide as well using other ic's. stay tuned for that :D

please note the schematics in the guide arent updated, but the written how to step by step guide is complete with all revisions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the step-by-step details! I've only just begun the journey toward building a Timer replica, and with the lack of current suppliers, didn't really have many other options for getting the electronics then to build them myself.

Looking forward to the next parts covering the case and emitter lights.

Edit
A couple of questions, after taking a look at the parts list:

The list does not include notes to purchase a Green LED or yellow LED for the Tau/Delta/Beta display, I'm assuming that their absense is due to this design being more simplfied than other Time circuits? I'm assuming that's also the reason why there isn't a purchase note for the additional 7-segment pieces for the "DAY" display?

Could a reed switch be incorporated into the circuit so that it would only activate when the flip of the phone has been opened?

Do you have a video showing a finished circuit build?

Last edited:
Thanks for the step-by-step details! I've only just begun the journey toward building a Timer replica, and with the lack of current suppliers, didn't really have many other options for getting the electronics then to build them myself.

Looking forward to the next parts covering the case and emitter lights.

Edit
A couple of questions, after taking a look at the parts list:

The list does not include notes to purchase a Green LED or yellow LED for the Tau/Delta/Beta display, I'm assuming that their absense is due to this design being more simplfied than other Time circuits? I'm assuming that's also the reason why there isn't a purchase note for the additional 7-segment pieces for the "DAY" display?

Could a reed switch be incorporated into the circuit so that it would only activate when the flip of the phone has been opened?

Do you have a video showing a finished circuit build?

thanks for the interest and kudos, and welcome to the world of building replicas. the circuit was originally intended for the egyption version of the timer the video of one of my semi completed replicas is on my youtube channel here : youtube.com/timerslide.

that being said at the moment im buidling an original timer replica for a friend, my repliicas arent exact but they do function. that being said i am currently developing a circuit for the bargraph leds that will make them go back and forth like on the show but for now the circuit that is outlined in the guide hooks the bargraphs into the counting digit for the seconds so that they move like the ones on the egyptian timer. to get the tau zeta delta lights to animate, you can hook the negative leads of those leds to negative, and the posative lead for each of those 3 leds to one pin of your chosing of the 7 segment led counting for the seconds to get them to blink at different times like on the show. as for the switch you mentioned i wasnt aware of what that was called for the flip open id love to impliment that. you should be able to do that by hooking it up to where you will put your posative and negative inputs on your circuit board and it should power on and off just like that. as for the days display you can put them in if thats what you choose to do, i put them in and wire the negative to negative and wire the posative leads all together so it sits at "000" while the rest of the numbers count down. if you want to have all 9 of the digits working , just purchase 3 additional 4029 chips and 3 additional 4511 chips and impliment them the same way as the others and they will work just fine. with all that ive said, i will be adding more detailed guides in the weeks to come including how to build the cases and one guide per type of timer in depth including how to get the 10 segment green led bargraphs to chase back and forth like on the show. im trying to impliment 4017 chips to get it to work if that helps. for now, i hope the guide posted and my additional reply helps you out friend. happy sliding! any other questions just ask. :)

Aha, didn't realise this was designed with the Egyptian Timer in mind (which then accounts for the absenses), although possibly adaptable for the Original Timer in absense of a more comprehensive kit, although with you mentioning that you're building an Original Timer for a friend, I'm definitely greatly interested in seeing that build, especially how you achieve the electronics.

I only stumbled upon the idea of using a Reed Switch after seeing a Tricorder build, and rather liked the idea of the Timer activating upon opening the flip case (it's been so long since I've seen the series, I couldn't recall if it actually did that on the show - but I've ordered the DVDs of series 1-3 so I'll soon be reacquainted). I've since learned by studying my TAC UltraLite that it'd be impossible to equip it with part of the neccesary apparatus in the flip cover (the thicker flip cover of the Motorola 550 would have worked perfectly, sadly).

You have, without a doubt already been a big help, looking forward to seeing the additional info when you're able to post it. Thanks! :)

i would like to inform everyone there has been an update to the timer guide, details are on my web page along with download. from now on the updates will be explained in detail there so i dont have to keep posting on every single forum i'm on. Enjoy :) (link to web page is in my signature)

Hi thedarkotaku,

After years of careful research I came up with a screen accurate Original Timer function list. I've had so many requests for this after posting it on another site! Haha. I hope it helps you in your quest in return for the amazing open info you're giving to the Timer community :)

Original Timer - Screen Accurate Electronic Details

[ ] indicates Timer's buttons.

The perfect original timer would display like this at different times:
Pilot Episode - First Slide Routine

1. Switch on [PWR]. The GEnSEr sequence is displayed. 000-00:00:00 is displayed along with four of the bargraph LEDs on, one on the top and bottom of each.

2. Set countUP time. Use [NAME/MENU] to select character and [FCN] to change number. To begin countUP press [END].

3. CountUP begins and only the Bargraph is activated fully throughout this phase until time has been reached.

4. When time is reached, for example 00:15:00, the 7-segments (HH:MM:SS only) wraps-around twice anti-clockwise after 00:14:59 then 00:15:00 is displayed and the top emitter turns RED for 5 seconds (vortex is auto-activated) bargraph reverts back to step 1.

5. Timer is ready for another countUP time to be set.

Note: If the vortex is activated early using [1] during any time in this phase the timer's emitter turns RED for 1 minute and goes into 'Burnout Routine' (Seasons 1-3).

Seasons 1-3 - Burnout Routine

1. Timer displays GEnSEr sequence and begins random countDOWN anywhere from 00:01:00 to 029-24:59:59 (who's gonna wait more than a month!)

2. During countDOWN four of the bargraph LEDs on, one on the top and bottom of each, and the ZETA LED always on. The TAU and DELTA LEDs alternate every half a second.

3. CountDOWN continues but when 5 minutes are left the ZETA LED flashes in time with the TAU LED. When 1 minute is left the timers bargraph LEDs are activated fully. Note also that the original timer bargraph slides up and down when fully activated rather than randomly like the egyptian timer.

4. When the timer reaches 00:00:00 all LEDs in the bottom half of the timer goes out accept the four bargraph LEDs in step 2. The 7-segment display doesn't wrap-around as originally thought. The 4 red half second LEDs between the HH:MM:SS stays on and the 7-segment 00:00:00 go out half at a time from each side and the top emitter turns WHITE (vortex activated) for 1 minute when [1] is pressed. (vortex is not auto-activated during this phase) When 1 minute has passed the timer would then display the GEnSEr startup and begin counting down at random.

Note: [1] must be pressed between 00:00:01 and 00:00:00 otherwise the timer goes into a 'sleep' mode. (29 years stuck on that world) Secret: To get out of sleep mode and revert back to First Slide Routine press [NAME/MENU].

Note: In any timer mode the 4 red half second LEDs between the HH:MM:SS has two quick flashes in a second.

Note: To save battery life and allow the timer to be closed and put into pockets it has a 'power saving' feature. Pressing [4] will turn on/off this feature, which turns all displays off while still counting up/down except for the 4 red half second LED's between the HH:MM:SS. These remain constantly on in this mode to indicate power..

'Genser' sequence...

That's funny! I built the original screen-used timers for the show in Vancouver, in 1994, along with Mike Caluori - whose name also appears in the power-up preamble (except spelled 'CALUrI' because of the 6-digit display restriction). I did the electronics and programming, and Mike modified the phone housings. The displays were non-multiplexed (ie. camera-safe and bright) and therefore used a huge amount of energy (consider 20mA per display segment / bargraph segment / status LED). No white LEDs back then, so an energy-wasting incandescent bulb ('fuse' style, if I remember correctly) in the business end. Also no LiPoly cells back then, so the 'hero' (functional) unit had an external battery pack on a tether. Nearly 2 Amps with everything lit, as I recall.

The CPU was a 68HC11E2 (2k internal eeprom) and I just recently stumbled across the original assembler source-code. There were several story-specific software mods made along the way. LEDs were driven from addressable 74HC595 parallel latches. There was no dedicated real time clock - just a real-time interrupt (among others - the whole thing was interrupt-driven), divided down from the crystal. It was also one of my early surface-mount boards.

Putting my last name (twice), amongst the jibberish in the preamble was a private joke. Nobody on the show even noticed until the second season. I also gave the same treatment (nearly identical preamble) to a digital countdown timer on a bomb for a Roger Moore MOV called 'The Man Who Wouldn't Die', in 1993.

Almost 20 years later... still building props!

SG

Hey, Rocket, thank you for those details ! Great to have some insights on this great props. " Genser " and " Caluri "... ha ha ha ! Reminds me of the morse-blinking leds on the Borg appliances in ST First Contact. :)

hahaha thats so friggin cool. i have to say its an honor to have had you reply to this thread, your prop has captivated many of us here trying to replicate it, myself especially. any chance you would want to build a sliders prop for me based on your original desgin? i know its probably a bit outdated but hell, having you make it would be awsome. you sir are a legend!

Last edited:
I don't suppose you or your colleague would happen to still have any production photos for the timer assemblies? One of the original Timer prototypes came into the hands of a private collector, but it obviously has some differences when compared to the final prop.

Also if I may say, it's also a honour, the Timer prop is one of the most iconic pieces in television, like the handlink in Quantum Leap or the EMF in Supernatural.

Kingpin -

There were never any 'original timer prototypes', so beware. There were 'static dummies' built, that lit with self-contained batteries, and probably 'rubbers' were made - it was a long time ago. However, we never made prototypes.

SG

Thank you for the warning. I haven't seen anything myself that's turned up in an auction environment, but I'll be sure to keep your warning in mind if something did ever appear.

Was it fairly difficult fitting all of the electronics into the phone body? I assume the battery on the underside was hollowed out.

Honestly, except for the functionality - which I was very, very happy with, I didn't really like the prop all that much, back then. Who knew it would become a cult favorite! All I have left is the original PCB artwork for the main board (CPU & display latches), and all of the source code (the original version, plus 6 additional story-specific mods - including the random 'failure-mode' version that has been eluded to in the forum).

Kingpin -

Yes, difficult. The unit was crammed with single-strand wire-wrap wires! Not that I used wire wrap construction for any part of it, but every LED of every segment connected to the CPU/driver board with a wire. We used the accessory high-cap battery pack (hollowed out) to give us more room for the guts. As I recall, the phones were hollow,non-functional dummies to begin with, supplied by Motorola. I made some of the membrane keys functional on the prop, as I recall. Back to all the single-strand wires, every time I had to open a unit for reprogramming, invariably a few of the wires would break. Always a bit of a nightmare. From this prop, I learned my lesson and used stacked / daughter-boards for all subsequent props... and there have been many.

Definitely one hell of a prop to have as your learning experience. I am honestly jealous (and benefitting from a good degree of ignorance of how truely frustrating it must've been).

Did the timer design vary greatly during the early days of production leading up to the pilot, or did it fall into place fairly quickly?

Someone suggested, somewhere in this forum, that the unit was built in 1993. It was not. I have the invoice to Cinevue Productions in front of me, dated May 19, 1994, for the original build - the 'hero' unit. There was no evolution in design - except for the coil on the business end, as I remember. The programming was accepted in its first incarnation.

This was certainly not my first prop - I've been working exclusively in film since 1987. However, it was certainly the most compact and sophisticated for me, at that time. Some of the programming techniques, including the manner in which the display is dealt with - interrupt driven, memory-mapped - were developed and refined (in a hurry!) two years earlier for an animated subway train map - full wall in control room - on a show called 'Hat Squad'. It had 32 8-bit display registers (hc595) for 256 individually addressable LEDs. The Sliders timer had 8 registers, for 64 addressable LEDs, as well as a few extra channels, driven from buffered, unused CPU pins.... which is why attempting to duplicate the original function using 7-segment decoder chips (as I see some trying to do) will be futile.

It's fun looking through the old code! Easy to visualize what it's doing... brings back memories. :)

SG

You might be disappointed to learn that the upper digital display - I think it was the 'days' counter - was fake. A back-lit graphic. It shared its light source with the crystal in the nose. There were provisions to slip new artwork in, as needed, by the props dept.

SG

Am I willing to share the original source code?

I would have to think long and hard about that, since I see that people are profiting in the manufacture of replicas, and that original code - exactly as used in the show - probably has real value. Also, although the source code is well documented, it was written in 68HC11 assembler, for a part (with large internal eeprom) that no longer exists, so the code would have to be ported over to another CPU. I, myself, long ago switched platforms and haven't touched an HC11 in over 10 years!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back