How may costumes per con?

Sounds like the photoshoots are maybe a little cliqui- if your not part of the "in" group theres no way of knowing when things get moved.
definitely puts a damper on my thoughts for being part of a shoot next year.

How does someone totally new to costuming find out about such photo shoots?

This year everything was posted on the D*C Photoshoots page on FB and I believe Davin posted everything on a Cosplay site as well. There's also another forum (Sorry can't remember the name) that was involved with several of them, including the Marvel shoot. Someone else probably knows which forum.

Up until this year I'm not sure how people found out about them... I never could find them before this year personally. This year I did the Marvel shoot and the GI Joe shoot.

I typically take seven costumes to Dragon*Con. I don't go to any of the photo shoots, primarily because my costumes tend not to be "mainstream". But I do coordinate with my friends and we do related groups of costumes - WWII, 1950s, etc.

This year, I only took three costumes. A broken wrist will really mess up what you can wear or get into.

Lynn

MULTIPLE costumes? I'b bringing just the one to NYC ComicCon this year, and even THAT is making it hard to find a balance between wearing the costume, and being able to walk around and get to all the panels and booths I want to see.

Last year for D*C (my first convention ever) I took 4 costumes and split them up over the 4 days. When you're parading as The Doctor in the morning and have a Firefly/Serenity photoshoot that afternoon, wearing one all day just didn't work.
This year I took 7. I wore one on Thursday, 2 on Friday, 1 on Saturday, 2 on Sunday, 1 on Monday. Way too many! And we were in a host hotel too!
I'm planning to wear a different costume every day for Ohaycon in Jan, which means 3 cosplays. But considering I'm going from our apartment since it's in town, no big deal.
Next year for D*C I'm only doing one per day and nothing on Thursday. Each costume corresponds to something that day, which makes it easy. The Dr. Horrible Picture Show on Friday; parade on Saturday; Masquerade on Sunday; Freddie for a Day on Monday.

My hat is off to those of you who only wear one costume. I can never decide!

I was glad I brought my Red Tornado costume for the second day and the DC Photoshoot. I had a great time there. But I'm really glad I didn't parade in it - all afternoon with that pot on my head, plus long sleeves and leggings, made me very hot and tired by dinnertime. As much as I love being recognized in it, I was glad to take it off, guzzle some Gatorade, and get a shower.
I would have worn my Pearl Forrester costume a 2nd time for a Sunday panel, but the rest of my group wanted to stay in plainclothes the last two days. I could see taking a third costume, depending on how much room it took up. With the costumes, clothes, and props I packed, my suitcase was very heavy. If I take Ma Hunkel with me to another con that involves flying, I'm mailing my pot.
Here's a question: How do you guys with armor transport it when flying? Or do you just not do that? There's an armored costume I'd love to do(possibly using that heated plastic or a pickle barrel), but I don't know how I'd transport it. If I do it, that might end up being exclusive to shows I can drive to.

I wouldnt transport armor on a commercial flight.
If i was determined to wear it I would ship it fed ex. its safer and cheaper than putting in a suitcase and if they lose it at least its insured.
Realistically though, if I was flying to a con, I wouldn't take anything big.

You can ship to the hotel, but expect to get an additional charge from the hotel to hold the package and deliver it to your room. I believe Marriott charged $35 for my room mate's package. Then there is the issue of shipping it back, especially on Labor Day.

Another way to do it is find someone local to the con and ship it to their house.

Lynn

Although I can get away with less, I usually bring about 4.

For *cough*furry*cough* cons I usually bring 1 showpiece costume (something AWESOME that shows off my skills... usually bulky, or awkward to wear for long periods), 1 comfortable costume to just run around and be silly in when I feel like it, and a couple Cats style costumes (yup, like the musical) to wear for dances.

For comic/pop culture cons, I usually wear one costume a day. If it's a local con, or one where I am close to my hotel, I can wear a more complex/uncomfortable costume. If it's a big con like SDCC where there is lots of walking involved, I usually pick costumes that are more comfortable for long days of walking and shuffling.

Thanks for the responses on the armor. It would definitely be more than I'd want to ship. Looks like that one will be reserved for Pittsburgh, unless we drive or camp out at someone's house for Baltimore. Lately, we've been taking trains for Baltimore and Philly when we're able to attend those.
It was nice though, to see that there was a UPS store in one of the hotels and it was open on Monday. One of my friends bought large prints and sent them home before we left for the airport.

You can ship to the hotel, but expect to get an additional charge from the hotel to hold the package and deliver it to your room. I believe Marriott charged $35 for my room mate's package. Then there is the issue of shipping it back, especially on Labor Day.

Another way to do it is find someone local to the con and ship it to their house.

Lynn

Also, with shipping to a hotel, make sure you pack any breakables SECURELY. THE HOTEL STAFF MAY BREAK THEM. I had 2 separate friends bring a Gandalf staff and a Saruman staff for my Tolkien Track panels at Dragon*con 2009, and they BOTH got broken by careless hotel employees that dropped the boxes. I'd expect this from UPS, but the hotel staff admitted it! Ended up giving them a refund on the price that they quoted the hotel for the damaged goods -_-.

I keep stumbling across the most interesting threads on this site!

I never wear costumes to conventions because when I attend I'm there as an invited guest. But when I'm at my table or on a panel I observe everyone and I'm fascinated by the incredible costumes I see. There is one couple I've spotted at several conventions in the San Francisco Bay Area who I swear make at least five costume changes a day. Their costumes are always comic book superheroes that always go together (i.e. - Hawkman & Hawkgirl, etc.) I never see them doing anything other than walking around in their costumes, just checking out others and being checked out in return. They look great whoever they are. But good gosh, so many costume changes!

I can understand bringing multiple costumes to a local show. Those of you, however, who fly cross-country to shows like Dragon*Con and SDCC with a bunch of costumes in tow (not to mention all your street clothes) are maniacs! And I say that with nothing but love in my heart for you. Amazing! I couldn't do it. When I travel I try to pack as light as possible. Although there was that time I had to carry the official Vader costume from Los Angeles to New York packed into three carry-on cases and one shopping back. That was "fun" going through security. But I digress.

So I'm curious to throw two more question out to everyone...

When you are selecting your costume(s) to bring to a convention, how much consideration do you give to comfort and weather/temperature conditions?

And, has anyone ever had to wear their costume en route to or from a convention? I have a good friend who is a special effects model builder who has constructed a fantastic Alien costume from the Alien film series and he had to wear it on a subway train to a show recently because he knew parking his car at the event would have been a nightmare. Needless to say, he shook up many of his fellow commuters.

When you are selecting your costume(s) to bring to a convention, how much consideration do you give to comfort and weather/temperature conditions?

I'm always very aware of the heat and such. I made the mistake of doing Vamp Willow one year in all leather and lost about 10 pounds that day. Never again.

Sometimes stuff will take me by surprise... this year my Black Queen costume had me sweating like crazy... I didn't know I could wear so little and still sweat so much. I also try to keep warmer costumes for the evening or plan not to spend all day in a hotter one. This is one reason I take an easier costume as well. Something that's comfortable, easy to wear, and won't make me roast.

I usually take a costume per day. First day costume is always a minimal one. Being in line to get in can take up to 45 minutes, and it gives me a chance to get round the stalls and buy bits and bobs. then, it's usually big costume day the next day (MCM con is only two days) since have been round most everything the day before. Also no line to get in, already sporting that sexy wristband.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back