How do you draw predators?

Origami Unicorn

Sr Member
hey,

I really want to improve my predator drawing skills, I cant draw a predator worth crap, can anyone tech me like Yoda mentored Luke? I really want to learn how to...

please help & thanks
Xander

honestly the best thing to do is practice. you might not be good at first but you will improve the more you draw.
sorry thats not that helpful haha but I know practice does work!

Kala is right on the money - practice. I used to doodle all the time when I was in school...I still have my notebooks, and the pages are half writing, and half drawings. Then what I started doing was looking at toy figures and drawing them. I highly suggest you grab a human anatomy book and draw the human body as much as you can. Draw eyes, hands, muscles, ears, mouths, feet, calves, and then start drawing them together as a body. Make sure to draw your outline first so that you see that the proportions are right.

Then if you want to draw Preds, look at artwork, sculpts, and everything you can get your eyes on, and start doodling. Draw until everything in your head is out on the paper...and then go back, get more ideas of stuff you think would look cool, and start over.

Its a long and slow process to get from drawing to being good at it. It took me years and years, and I'm kicking myself for not drawing for years in between. You have to have a passion for it and the drive for it. Just remember to practice as often as you can :)

I agree with both kala & PredatrHuntr. Also I'd suggest getting a Predator figure for reference.

Don't listen to Dracon; he has stock in NECA :)

Really is a good idea. Another one we used in college was to trace things over and over, to get an idea of how the shapes come together. With the toy (And I realize this may sound a tad complicated) Pose it in different positions and take photos. In a drawing program, convert to black and white. Tape it to a window, then tape a piece of paper over it and start tracing. Eventually, you'll get it and won't need to trace, but rather, look at the photo and draw it. Good luck!

I agree with both kala & PredatrHuntr. Also I'd suggest getting a Predator figure for reference.

My kids would ask me the same thing while they watched me sketch... same answer as all the above... Practice..Practice.. Oh, did I mention Practice? You can also start building the basic shapes first and then embellish.. Like the others have mentioned.. a good understanding of human anatomy helps. Shoot... Draw Super Man or any bulked up super hero and add Predator armor, talons, etc on top of your rough blueline...

Please post your progress and I'm sure many already skilled will happily provide more detailed help...

Good Luck... Stop typing and start drawing... Ha Ha

I'm going to sound all art professor on you but they told us this so many times haha but draw what you see, not what you think it should look like. If that makes any sense haha and like everyone else said, draw in many poses over and over again. I've heard of people getting body builder magazines and drawing anatomy from that to get the muscle structure right then you can add armor or whatever else you want. Have fun and fill up that sketchbook!

They got it. PRACTICE brother. When I first started drawing Preds, I always started with the bio mask. try that and work your way from their.

Hahahaha they have all said it. Practice makes perect.
i am an artist. and go to school to do nothiing but draw and everybody loves my work.

i tel them i look at an image from Google a book or anything else, get that stuck in my mind and just draw what i see. it sounds weird but to me its been my stradegy all my life.

it also helps to sketch. look at an image and draw what you see. keep doing that to the pic of any predator and you will soon be able to draw without looking at any predator.
hope this helps.

PRACTICE Brother :)

they all said it perfectly. i have 1 word for you dude. it's passion. as long as you have this in you, you can do anything. this is very true. and another thing, as long as you keep in touch in this lair, the passion won't disappear. :)

Practice is the word.

But people have suggested you to buy a figure. I got a cheaper way: browse the Lair. : ) Here you can see all kinds of predator faces. If you want to draw P1 style for example you can find some masks to see the details.
Also armor and skin shouldnt be a problem around here. : D

And one more thing: whatever you draw, dont forget to use your IMAGINATION too. : )

...Im not a professional so these may not be effective anyhow. But I have tried.

Below there is a piece of work I drew this year.

Predator_lineart.jpg

Sounding like a stuck record here, but everyone is quite right, practise is the key.

Life drawing, also a good idea.

Anatomy is going to be the hardest part to crack. I use body building diagrams to make sure the muscles are all correct (regular muscle diagrams are not exaggerated enough).

Another good tip is to look up the How to Draw the Marvel Way videos on YouTube which will help a great deal.

Other than that, just make sure you find good reference. Movie screen caps for accuracy. I'd also suggest trawling Deviantart and Google image search for life model pictures to give your drawings a good grounding.

yea as every on here has said a million times before, its all practice im just getting some of my drawing finnished up but it will take some time and patience. I have four finnised drawing that i will probly post later or tomorrow and two im working on now and i have done the first five in sharpie pen and red and black normal pen (I lost all my pencils lol ;) but i found one a few hours ago) plus listening to music may help thats what i do, i sit at my desc blaring dark drum and bass, metal, punk, or techno and i normally can get a good drawing but i usually start with the mask then the dreads then work my way down the body until the feet an i put them in basic posies they mostly are all looking up and because im a lefty i normally draw a left profile but once you get the basics down you can start to color and ive noticed alot of the drawings here are colored by using a laptop or desc top computer also dont rush them, the drawing is your feelings so express them with takeing your time and use your emotions and feelings at the time for different ideas such as hate can help you draw a battle seen or love can help you draw a peaceful background. so take your time at it and you'll get better ive been drawing halo characters since 4th grade so its a bit easy for me, still practice is what helps most. hope this helps you with drawing.

practice in drawing human anatomy well first, with the right proportions and such. A predator is basically that with a hell of an ugly head after all LOL ;)

well im not the best but i think the drawings that i posted were pretty good for a five minuet quick sketch with a sharpie pen lol ;)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back