"How Come It's Not Standard Issue?" - My Cap: TFA Shield

Looks great Kevin, Nice work on the side by side comparison. That will be helpful to lots of folks. Glad you got back to work on it :lol

This is great, I have the shield, star and brackets/leather sitting here... time to start making a shield. This will make it so much easier :) thanks

After four attempts, I got the star to a point I was "happy" with. The method I came up with to achieve the spun finish worked, however my drill press isn't quite big enough to do a full size star. I made a "spinner" with a drill chuck arbor attached so it could pop right in to my drill press. The table on my press is only 5" from center to the support arm, which is about a half inch too shallow.

I was very pleased with the results, but the spun area just wasn't big enough. I had to go back to the original plan and poke a hole in the center to get the finish I was after. Just finished attaching it, and in the next few days I will go back and fill in the hole

IMG_20130130_221440.jpg

can't wait to get started on mine. Have to finish another project first, but I'm going to do both the movie version and a Comic book version. I'll of course post pics and such as i do it

which clearcoat are you using?

I installed the brackets and used Krylon Satin over brackets and back of shield to protect from Oxidation and fingerprints. BTW how are you painting the grooves with a brush ar mask and respray grooves?

Gerardo

Had to respray the inner red ring today, so I'll hopefully clear coat tonight. Going to use Krylon satin as well. I had a hell of a time trying to mask out the grooves, so I used a brush

Looking good! Working on one myself, got the tubemus shield and Valor star so far.

Could you direct me to a source for the five-sided clips/buckle things? I have struck out so far at strapworks.com and google image/text searches using various combinations of words like pentagon, five-sided, strap, buckle, clip, etc.

Thanks!

I had mine water jet cut (as stated in the first post), and when Valor was selling his kits they were water jet cut as well

Hello everyone, I'm EXTREMELY impressed by the work here! As you can see, this is my first post haha. I'm just a huge Captain America fan who stumbled upon this site when googling how to make a Captain America shield.

I have actually never in my life made something like this before, and I have no experience whatsoever with all this hardware stuff haha.

I've read a lot about the sled version, and while it is a lot cheaper, and I would love to give it a shot someday, I'm afraid I'm not skilled enough to make something like that yet.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but could someone point me in the right direction for the easiest route possible to make a good shield? I'm thinking I should get one of those spun aluminum shields from Ebay (does anyone have a link lol), and I think I can handle the paint job. But I still need to find a star and I have no idea how to make the rivet/handle thing on the back of the shield.

Thanks in advance for anyone who answers, I know theres tons of good advice around here, but the problem is I don't understand most of the hardware terminology as I am completely inexperienced.

Thank you all :)

Pick up the one of the spun blanks from ebay, or if they don't have one currently listed you can contact them directly (AMS in Miami), and look for Valor's thread in the JY for the brackets (he does stars too)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back