How C-3PO suit has changed in the Sequel trilogy. C-3PO Torso Comparison

funclips4u

I'm making a 3D printed C-3PO costume and I wasn't too happy with the inaccuracy of the available 3d print files, so I hired some 3d modelers on Fiverr to clean up and correct some parts from the don post 3d scans, and some other things, to get some very accurate models. I've posted my files on etsy, so they are available if you want to print parts that actually look accurate. I've only done the torso and the front of the head (modded to fit Jesse m back of head).

The Jesse M files on thingiverse are what everyone has been making. He did a great job making files that are usable for wearing. They are very decent, but upon comparison to the actual 3D scans, they aren't very accurate, mainly because they are symmetrical. The sequel trilogy suit is symmetrical however, but not in the same ways as Jesse's files. I'm really hoping that my files would get some attention, not because I want attention, but because I want people to have accurate c3po cosplays and replicas and it would be a shame if nobody makes my files.

Anyways I have files for the torso for the original trilogy version and also the sequel trilogy version. So I will be showing you a comparison of the c3po torsos from both versions of my files.

The big differences are for certain, just know that I dont have a 3d scan for the sequel trilogy version, only the base shape from the galaxy's edge vr game, which was then resculpted based on movie photos. Which means that its not a guarantee to be 100% identical to the screen used prop and may have some error. While the original trilogy version file is basically a cleaned up version of a lineage prop.

20230625_160008.jpg

Last edited:
Ignore that the neck ring part on the original version is on this render, but not on the other
Thumbnail_1710463744413.jpg

So as you can see here the newer suit is similar to a symmetrical mirror of his right side.

(What bugged me about the already available Jesse M files is that the bottom stripes were inspired by a symmetrical mirror of his left side, instead of the right, making it look majorly different than the sequels version.)

Now back to the original vs sequels comparison:

It is a little shorter. The very bottom is extended to make up for it being shorter just a tiny bit, but not fully. The belly tubing is shortened and goes closer to the pecks. Although not shown on this image, the belly circle must be a little smaller in order to fit within the shortened proportions.

Pretty sure the throat rectangles are wider (although I cant guarantee my model has the exact measurement, reference images make it hard to tell)

Throat rectangles are closer together now.

Notice how the original suit has one of the rectangles extra far away from the other. Funny thing is the Don post statue didn't have that detail for some reason and I had to have that corrected on the 3d model.

The upper shoulder transition to the neck is a little flatter compared to the original. The throat is a little shorter

It is hard to tell on here, but there is a (roughly) 2mm ring wrapped around the shoulder area, which fades away into the shoulder halfway up. original didnt have the ring. Its kind of an odd design choice to randomly add this, but it looks fine.

The upper outline of the pecks is not as long now. The low outline edges of the pecks are slightly thicker now. The lower outline edges touch each other in the middle now, instead of being spaced apart.

The circles where the throat pistons would be attached are angled different.

Last edited:
Thumbnail_1710465284398.jpg

Here's where the big change is. It got a roomy side profile. The throat area is angled completely different.

He got a more arched back of neck, I believe its more prominent on the actual suit than on my model.

The very back lower area got a more boxy shape, rather than the more curved original. It would be more noticeable if looked at from an underneath angle.

I didn't have good movie references for designing the side view for the sequels model, so the main comparison here is just the width and the throat.

The split separation lines are likely not in the exact accurate position, so take that with a grain of salt.

Unrelated to the sequels version, here's a comparison of each side of the original version. Its shocking how different the bottom stripes are on each side of the original.
20230706_214326.jpg

20230706_213942.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230706-213833_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230706-213833_Gallery.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230706_213942.jpg
    20230706_213942.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Screenshot_20230625-153912_Gallery.jpg

Not really much to talk about here. The back box area has some changes. Can't guarantee the exact shape of the box area as being 100% accurate, its just how the video game model had it, there was a lack of actual reference photos

Last edited:
I personally think the prop people for the sequel trilogy did a poor job in terms of replicating the original, there were unnecessary changes to the details, such as it being proportionally shorter, adding the rings on the shoulder area, and changing the measurements in multiple areas regarding the throat.

But I have to admit I actually kind of prefer the sequel trilogy version due to it being more comfortable as well as the fact that it got rid of how shockingly asymmetrical the original was.

I don't really like that it looks wide from the side, but it was a pretty necessary change.

Last edited:
In terms of other parts on the sequel trilogy costume, every part of the suit has been completely redone with many changes, getting rid of curvy sloppily sculpted lines, and also got the symmetrical base shape treatment. The head has the least amount of changes as it still has the asymmetry, although the head still has some tiny differences.

In the new movies, the rectangular slider on the back of his bicep goes lower and is shorter.

The ribbed texture on his forearm wrist is gone. Likely all the details on his bicep is lowered atleast tiny bit. His fingers are split into 3 joints and the joints are very different in sculpt than the original.

The hand piece has sharper rectangle details and the whole sculpt is different, it has more room in the part that goes toward the thumb. The wrist on the hand piece is chopped off shorter to allow more hand movement. Palm section is shaped quite different.

Most noticeable change for the legs in the sequels is the front of the knee area has various differences, but the whole thing is a very different sculpt with clean, straighter stripes.

The very bottom edge on the back of the thigh now has a horizontal stripe added for some reason, it was hard to see it on image references, but after seeing the galaxy's edge vr model, I realized it was probably there. I could see it in a reference image but very hard to see.

The little disks on the top side of his thighs used to look like big Phillips screws, but are now shrunken versions of his bolts that are on the low side of his head by his neck. Kind of odd for it to suddenly be different, but it still looks fine. They might as well have just changed all his Phillips screws on his shorts and torso to look like that.

The shorts are a tiny bit taller, making up for the torso being shorter. In a new hope the shorts were also looking extra big, but by time rotj came along his belly section was showing much more, meaning his shorts probably shrunk in rotj and onward. Shrinkage in ESB was probably there, but more noticeable in rotj. This is just speculation based off pictures.

On his head, there is now only one ingraved horizontal line above his upper lip, there used to be a short vertical line on each side of it. The points on his brows are softer now. The head is still definitely pretty close to the original sculpt.

Last edited:
Cool thread. Looking forward to seeing more. I'm an OT asymmetrical kinda guy, so cool to see the changes done to the DP scan. I believe DP tried to make things more symmetrical when they made their stuff.

To me the most noticeable and immediately disagreeable thing about the newer designs is the diffuse finish. Gone is the mirror-metallic finish of the original movie. :(

Dan

To me the most noticeable and immediately disagreeable thing about the newer designs is the diffuse finish. Gone is the mirror-metallic finish of the original movie. :(

Dan
Thats only in force awakens, he's chrome gold in the other 2 sequels, similar to revenge of the sith.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230707-100035_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230707-100035_Gallery.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 73
I assumed that the stomach and chest part was a bit larger in the sequel trilogy suit because Anthony Daniels had “filled out” a bit since the last time he played C-3P0 in Revenge Of The Sith, and wasn’t as skinny as he used to be?

I assumed that the stomach and chest part was a bit larger in the sequel trilogy suit because Anthony Daniels had “filled out” a bit since the last time he played C-3P0 in Revenge Of The Sith, and wasn’t as skinny as he used to be?
I assume its probably only because he demanded a new suit because he could barely breath, the original was ridiculously tight. I doubt he gained weight in any extent that would make a difference, he still looks in shape.

I assume its probably only because he demanded a new suit because he could barely breath, the original was ridiculously tight. I doubt he gained weight in any extent that would make a difference, he still looks in shape.
If that is the case, and he was/is in good shape during the sequels, why would the suit be overtly too big around the chest and stomach area, in some shots it looks ridiculously too big. Whatever happened to continuity with the suit In the sequels, yet looked perfectly fine size wise in the prequels and original trilogy?

If that is the case, and he was/is in good shape during the sequels, why would the suit be overtly too big around the chest and stomach area, in some shots it looks ridiculously too big. Whatever happened to continuity with the suit In the sequels, yet looked perfectly fine size wise in the prequels and original trilogy?
Anthony Daniels said that he couldn't even exhale properly while filming the running scene on hoth in ESB. Just because the original sizing fits, doesnt mean its comfortable, which is probably why they expanded it.

I'm a thin guy and when I tried on my 3d printed sequels one, it was huge. But when I tried it with the belly wire section, it actually filled it in and it had no extra wiggle room.

As for continuity, the changes to the costume could easily be explained in universe by him being fitted with next generation protocol droid armor in between movies. If he still had a silver leg, that wouldn't be the case, but he clearly got the leg replaced, so he could have just gotten everything replaced with it. We've even seen tk409 protocol droid torsos used in the mandalorian, which are also inaccurate to the original suits. So there's already more examples of different versions of protocol droid armor in canon. Only time that doesnt work is when c3po is in the kenobi series, because he had a tk409 torso in that, which doesn't fit continuity.

Jesse M here. I appreciate the desire to further refine my 3D models to make them more accurate. I have made revisions on a few models over the years for that same reason. However, I do not appreciate the fact that you have posted your revisions on Etsy to sell. This goes against the license that they were posted under on Thingiverse. I believe I have the same desire for everyone to have access to accurate 3D models of C-3PO so they can make a suit for themselves. At the time I began modeling, the only available models were from Do3D which were barely passable. I recognize that my models are not perfect either, but they are an order of magnitude better than Do3D. I hoped that those who wanted to continue refining from my models would post their work as a Remix on Thingiverse as the license allows.

Jesse M here. I appreciate the desire to further refine my 3D models to make them more accurate. I have made revisions on a few models over the years for that same reason. However, I do not appreciate the fact that you have posted your revisions on Etsy to sell. This goes against the license that they were posted under on Thingiverse. I believe I have the same desire for everyone to have access to accurate 3D models of C-3PO so they can make a suit for themselves. At the time I began modeling, the only available models were from Do3D which were barely passable. I recognize that my models are not perfect either, but they are an order of magnitude better than Do3D. I hoped that those who wanted to continue refining from my models would post their work as a Remix on Thingiverse as the license allows.
Hey Jesse, sorry for the confusion, these aren't your files. I include some decorative parts of your files with mine to make the models seem more complete. But the main torso I sell is not yours in any way. I include your back panel, belly circle, and shoulder rings in a Google drive folder with my files for example.

And my face file comes with your back of head. But the face is not yours. I just sell parts that are compatible with yours.

There actually is a seller selling your files
If you want to reach out to them, heres the link:

Last edited:
Hey Jesse, sorry for the confusion, these aren't your files. I include some decorative parts of your files with mine to make the models seem more complete. But the main torso I sell is not yours in any way. I include your back panel, belly circle, and shoulder rings in a Google drive folder with my files for example.

And my face file comes with your back of head. But the face is not yours. I just sell parts that are compatible with yours.

There actually is a seller selling your files
If you want to reach out to them, heres the link:
The files you are selling are derivatives from my Torso and Head models. That is, they were created by manipulating the 3D mesh of my models. Your first post in this thread stated this fact until minutes ago when you edited it to take out reference to "cleaning up" my models. As such, you are in violation of the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license. Cease and desist the public sale of your derivative models on the Etsy or any other platform. Failure to do so within 24 hours will result in your listings being reported in Etsy's IP Protection Portal.

The files you are selling are derivatives from my Torso and Head models. That is, they were created by manipulating the 3D mesh of my models. Your first post in this thread stated this fact until minutes ago when you edited it to take out reference to "cleaning up" my models. As such, you are in violation of the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license. Cease and desist the public sale of your derivative models on the Etsy or any other platform. Failure to do so within 24 hours will result in your listings being reported in Etsy's IP Protection Portal.
Jesse, my files are not yours, I edited the beginning of this thread, because I thought maybe the wording made you get the wrong impression, thinking that they are your files. I never said they were yours. You misunderstood the wording. At one point in the thread, I mentioned the "already available Jesse m files" I didn't say "they are made from the already available Jesse m files".

I sent the don post scans to a 3d modeler on fiverr.com. I told them I wanted wearable models that match up with the scan, but with some slight differences to make some details look straighter. Mine have no relation to yours. Please understand that my models were not made by editing yours, that would have taken a bunch of work to alter every single contour of your files and shape it to match the don post. That doesn't make sense to do.

I have posted a modified version of your torso on thingiverse as a Remix, but that was before I decided to make a new model that matched the scans. The remix has no relation to this model.

I hope you can understand. Please drop the charges, this is a complete misunderstanding. I only mentioned your files on the thread because I was saying that I wasn't satisfied with the symmetry, and wanted to make an alternate model for people to make instead.

Last edited:
Plus, even if mine were modified from yours, which they aren't, shaping every contour on the model would require so many changes that not a single thing would match up to yours anymore. A complete resculpt would erase any work you did on the model. So it wouldn't even count as your model anymore, you wouldn't have the right to claim its stealing from you.

With all the talk about who made what, I just want to say,
before 2018, there were "NO" C3PO 3d files even being close to accurate.
After TheHappyOne posted his free 3D scan files on Thingiverse in 2018, within a few months there were C3PO files all over the place, as TheHappyOne wanted, to make better printable files, and everyone could make a cheap statue or wearable C3PO.

And some of them were taken down, pretending they did their own 3D modeling, while evidence clearly showed copied mesh files, and tried to sell their copied work as their own.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back