Anybody have a ROTJ casted C-3PO head? I need photo reference

funclips4u

(I no longer need any pics really, so no real need to send me any at this point)

I'm commissioning a 3d modeler to make a clean wearable 3d print model of C-3PO's head using the Don post statue 3D scan as the main reference to make sure its pretty accurate. I originally just had the face meant to pair with Jesse M's back head piece. But now I'm making my own back piece.

However the head on the don post is a TESB, so the back of the head looks different than ROTJ. I'm going to have a ROTJ inspired version where the TESB style back head is converted into a ROTJ.

When I did comparing, it looks like ROTJ lines up in certain ways that make me believe that ROTJ might have possibly been a TESB that had some resculpting done to it. The lower part where the ear bolt is attached is angled different (must be because the face is rotated a little to be less crooked). Some material is added to the sides of the head. And the rectangle holes are all repositioned.

Does anybody have a rotj casted head that they can take photos for me of the sides and back of the helmet? I want to see how it compares to the TESB 3d scan from the sides.

The ROTJ head has these rectangles noticably low right here on this side, thats how you know its a ROTJ

20230830_193515.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, I missed this thread. Very interesting to find someone who is interested by the differencies between c3po from each movies.

So finally did you find someone with a screen cast of a ROTJ helmet? I know that by the past, some good replicas and cast (with a true lineage) flotted around but today it's mainly 3d models, recast and derived cast from the DP statue (or HD scan... which are terribly deformed).

This detail that you pointed can be observed on the new trilogy C 3PO helmet. They probably used a ROTJ helmet as reference.

Damn, I missed this thread. Very interesting to find someone who is interested by the differencies between c3po from each movies.

So finally did you find someone with a screen cast of a ROTJ helmet? I know that by the past, some good replicas and cast (with a true lineage) flotted around but today it's mainly 3d models, recast and derived cast from the DP statue (or HD scan... which are terribly deformed).

This detail that you pointed can be observed on the new trilogy C 3PO helmet. They probably used a ROTJ helmet as reference.
Somebody showed me some reference images of a screen used head (that they don't have). Didn't really give me access to a 360 view like I expected. But the images helped me see that the length proportions of the 3 "lines" on the side of his head look similar to the ESB head. I was scared that the lines would be completely different lengths and that the ESB 3d scan would be too different to use it as reference for the lines when trying to make a rotj version 3d model. So I think the rotj is just a modded esb, not fully from scratch. When I overlapped some esb and sequels references, it looks like they added and removed material on the sides and tilted the head to not be as crooked to the face.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the DP scan is very deformed (from what I know, it's a scan of a DP recast, which had several deformations like many DP recast).

But you're right, ROTJ helmet is closer to the ESB than the ANH helmet.

The Smithonian suit is from ROTJ just like the helmet owned by Anthony Daniels (some shot of him with this helmet are flotting around).

The back part detailed piece (circle) isn't similar than ESB (more sharp and detailed and not the same orientation).

Hope you will show pics of your WIP replicas!

Unfortunately, the DP scan is very deformed (from what I know, it's a scan of a DP recast, which had several deformations like many DP recast).

But you're right, ROTJ helmet is closer to the ESB than the ANH helmet.

The Smithonian suit is from ROTJ just like the helmet owned by Anthony Daniels (some shot of him with this helmet are flotting around).

The back part detailed piece (circle) isn't similar than ESB (more sharp and detailed and not the same orientation).

Hope you will show pics of your WIP replicas!
I noticed that on the DP, the overhang right above the ear bolt on his left side (on right side when you look at it) is maybe 2mm too short. And the area the bolt attaches to is deformed. I'll make sure that is fixed on my esb version.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back