How accurate is RS Props' TIE pilot vs SDS vs CFO?

oxixo

They're all cast from original props (correct?), but each have subtle differences (I'm not referring to craftsmanship, etc., just visual accuracy).

Some photos of the SDS helmets make the pilot look a little wider than RS and CFO. Whereas the RS helmets, the frown looks a little "toothy," practically grinning (I love that!!). Meanwhile, I haven't even seen a bad photo of a CFO helmet...

And speaking of SDS/Shepperton, how do I order from them if I'm from the US? Is there a way around, or am I SOL?

Thanks!

The RS Props face is just a reworked version of the stunt stormtrooper face. I've always wondered that now they have access to a real hero face, whether they are willing to or allowed to update their TIE to make it more accurate.

I don't know much about the SDS, but wasn't the helmet part (not talking about the face) pretty accurate? I would never buy from him though, even if he did 100% accurate stuff.

Don't think I've seen the CFO much, so don't know much about it, but knowing Sskunky, I know he only goes for the best.

I had the RS tie lid but wasn’t that impressed, the off center faceplate bugged me.
7B6D5A67-9CF4-4961-B4D7-3737F9B02B59.jpeg

Yikes accurate or not that tie looks horrible my ocd would not be happy with that, I didn’t notice the off centre(ness) from their site pics

Son of a.... I can't unsee that. I just looked at a bunch of RS TIE photos from everywhere, and it seems like the off-centeredness occurs with every other helmet. I hope this is something that can be specifically requested (to be centered) when ordering, unless they sell only already-assembled models. In which case, I would hope that this would be an "easy-fix" once its received.

Any thoughts on SDS? I know there was a lawsuit involving Lucasfilm and licensing rights, and it seems like a lot of folks aren't keen on them (SDS). I'm only interested in their products (for their accuracy). Also, is there a way around on ordering if you're from the States?

Son of a.... I can't unsee that. I just looked at a bunch of RS TIE photos from everywhere, and it seems like the off-centeredness occurs with every other helmet. I hope this is something that can be specifically requested (to be centered) when ordering, unless they sell only already-assembled models. In which case, I would hope that this would be an "easy-fix" once its received.

Any thoughts on SDS? I know there was a lawsuit involving Lucasfilm and licensing rights, and it seems like a lot of folks aren't keen on them (SDS). I'm only interested in their products (for their accuracy). Also, is there a way around on ordering if you're from the States?
Might be out of date, but if I recall, SDS is using a recast fan-created TK for everything. His claims about original moulds is, like everything else he says, a blatant lie.

Stay away from SDS. All a bunch of BS. Nothing they sell is accurate or from “original molds” despite whatever they say on their website.

personally i prefer RS for the lineage & look
Lineage to what in this case? The website says "This helmet is made from an original studio made helmet so has a strong lineage.". Most people would assume that means they had access to an almost complete TIE pilot helmet. The x-wing pilot helmet pages say "Created from original LFL Production made Tie Pilot Helmet shells. With addition moulding and reference from a Vietnam era APH-6 Helicopter helmet.". It appears the RS TIE pilot helmet does not have the correct faceplate. Now they have access to one but they made the TIE pilot helmets before that. I wonder if they had access to the TIE pilot shells that were used for the x-wing helmets when they made the TIE. For certain products I wish they were more clear about what is actually lineage and to what. Most would understand that certain parts need to be fabricated or reproduced from other sources because many of the original props have been damaged.

I appreciate their recent YouTube videos where they show some of the details about creating some of the newer products.

Because of the lawsuit there is no way to directly buy from SDS here in the states. You would need to either find someone in the states that has one and is willing to sell or find someone in Europe that would buy it for you and ship it over and I'm not sure that would work either as customs might get involved.

You can only build the perfect helmet (for you) when you build it yourself.Thats why I always order in kit form when possible.

If I'm not mistaken, RSprop used a prototype helmet made by ILM for Don Post (when the brand developped its Deluxe line). But I'm not 100% sure of this information.

And if I remember well, Mark sculpted some parts for his TIE pilot helmet (ears box, mohawk), used a real APH helmet and reworked his ANH faceplate. But again, I could be wrong and he would deliver better informations on his own stuff.

Here's a comparison pics between RSprop (on the left) and CFO (on the right). I'm sorry, I finished both helmet in different way and the light isn't the same. But I really liked to work on both quality kits!!!

tiecomparison.jpg

Nice helmets, I especially like that you took the not so common paint scheme for the RS!

Is there a significant difference between those two face plates beside the different approaches on building?

I have other pictures if necessary. The faceplate is different because the origins are very different.

RSprop directly casted the screen used helmet. If I'm not mistaken, Mark got an old casting of a screen used helmet (not sure if it's the BrianR or SFS...) ans had to rework it.

But Mark from CFO would be the man who can clearly answer to those questions ^^

I would tend to say that the RSprop faceplate is the closest but Mark really did a great job on his helmet.

I've never seen a SDS helmet so it's hard to say (except the faceplate which is clearly not accurate) nevertheless at my own opinion a 100% accurate TIE helmet doesn't exist (I mean a replica from a direct cast of a screen used helmet).

But I don't know all the replicas on the market ^^

Considering RS Props recently announced the casting of a Hero faceplate, I don't think there is any way their current TIE helmet uses a faceplate from an original TIE helmet. They announced plans to create an AT-AT helmet using the hero faceplate. The AT-AT helmets were originally repainted and modified TIE helmets. Hopefully they will create a revised TIE helmet.

It is unclear exactly what TIE helmet pieces they had access to. The x-wing helmets are based off of TIE helmet shells, but they apparently did not have access to the TIE faceplate at that time. We don't know how many of the other TIE parts they had access to. This is why I wish the Lineage description on the TIE helmet pages was more detailed as far as which parts actually have lineage to original pieces.

If we follow the story of the ILM/Don Post prototype, the faceplate wasn't correct since it was derived from a Special Edition mold (thus, ROTJ recast).

Below the helmet I'm talking about (pictures found here: 501st Legion Jolly Roger Squadron – HELMET).

Again, it's what I read somewhere several years ago. Two prototypes where made for Don Post by ILM (one stormtrooper very similar to the SE look and one TIE pilot with the same faceplate). Thus maybe it's not the true.

Rubies-DL-and-Don-Post_small.jpg
Comparrison-Profiles_small.jpg
Comparrison-Rear-View_small.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back