Homemade Spidey Suits: Show Off/Open Build Thread

900DCD9E-B390-47EF-ACEA-605268F6019D.jpeg
After a “test run” for Halloween(my buddy was supposed to be a S.H.I.E.L.D agent), I decided to make a new mask, and make some adjustments to the shudders in the goggles. My question is, after walking around outside for about an hour, my mask was visibly wet from me breathing. I’m using this mask, and it’s a bit on the thin side(Red Eye Style Motorcycle Biker Cotton Balaclava Facemask Ski Mask (Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014S46QN8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_GH.bAb4M0JFAM), has anyone else had this problem?

I got some pretty good reference for the homemade web shooters if anyone needs it don’t ask me why there are french subs I don’t know either. Does anyone have any more good references for the homemade shooters cause I’m trying to make a pair

https://youtu.be/Fa7gQSl6ZWc

At 12:07 he shows the web shooters

Attachments

• IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1206.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1208.JPG
    IMG_1208.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1209.JPG
    IMG_1209.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1210.JPG
    IMG_1210.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1211.JPG
    IMG_1211.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1215.JPG
    IMG_1215.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1216.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 185
RIT Dyes have color remover treatments but if you bleach it, you will strip all the color or come out polka-dotted.

kcail1

Vest/sweatshirt question.... in the movie, Parker uses a hoodie sweatshirt? Or does it look like he used a hoodie vest? From the photos, I see some with raw edges on the shoulders that allowed him to make the mask with the fleece out and some looks more like a finished edge, but then where do you get the matching red jersey fleece to sew a mask?

What are you all doing? Buying and destroying a red sweatshirt hoodie or getting a vest and making the mask out of separate jersey fleece?

Thanks
Kcail1

Vest/sweatshirt question.... in the movie, Parker uses a hoodie sweatshirt? Or does it look like he used a hoodie vest? From the photos, I see some with raw edges on the shoulders that allowed him to make the mask with the fleece out and some looks more like a finished edge, but then where do you get the matching red jersey fleece to sew a mask?

What are you all doing? Buying and destroying a red sweatshirt hoodie or getting a vest and making the mask out of separate jersey fleece?

Thanks
Kcail1

I cut off the sleeves from a red hoodie then used that extra fabric to make the mask

Hi,
it's my first post here. Just wanted to show off my suit and say thanks to all you guys for the great tipps. This thread relly helped me in getting it done! Thank you very much!

I already finished the suit in november, but only now I have some decent pictures to post here.
Unfortunately I finished the web shooters shortly before the making of Hela's headdress was released, so I only had the movie for reference and had to guess some of the details, but you can really move the trigger like in the movie. So, it's something :D

If you like to see more of my friend's and my stuff, check out our instagram @marvundsina

IMG_4340-Bearbeitet_facebook.pngIMG_4646-Bearbeitet_facebook.pngwebshooter.jpg

Hi,
it's my first post here. Just wanted to show off my suit and say thanks to all you guys for the great tipps. This thread relly helped me in getting it done! Thank you very much!

I already finished the suit in november, but only now I have some decent pictures to post here.
Unfortunately I finished the web shooters shortly before the making of Hela's headdress was released, so I only had the movie for reference and had to guess some of the details, but you can really move the trigger like in the movie. So, it's something :D

If you like to see more of my friend's and my stuff, check out our instagram @marvundsina

View attachment 806991View attachment 806992View attachment 806993

Those web shooters look amazing!

MJT_3333.jpg

Took my Stark Suit & Homecoming WIP for a test Drive at Wondercon last weekend, and overall I'm pretty pleased with it! I want to swap out my Hoodie for a slightly smaller one so it sits properly at my hips, need to build my mask and figure out how to mount my lenses (picked up a pair of 3D printed ones), add better soles to my Sockwas, and hopefully get my webshooters from JJ Griffin (we'll see how that works out...).

spidey phone copy.jpg
Stark suit is by The Amazing Spider Lab! Going to be adding cartridges & proper webshooters from them soon!

In the process of going through and uploading more shots to my Instagram ( @aaronrivin) if anyone wants to see more, but yeah, overall I'm pretty happy with how it's looking! Couldn't have done it without all the help of the RPF!

@maffhewdc and @CWDevine
Thank you very much :)
I desgined all the parts in Tinkercad and 3D-printed them. Then I sanded and filled until they were mostly smooth, painted everything with aluminium spray paint and graphite powder and put it together.
But at the moment I'm already working on ever better ones :)

maffhewdc, I really like your suit and I definitely got some inspiration from your work :D

@arivin923 nice homemade suit man, and you even got the Tom Holland look down :D

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of fabric is everyone using for the mask? I've had a hard time finding something that matches the screen-used mask. Also @AektschnMarv your webshooters are probably the best ones I've seen so far. Good job.
EDIT: also wanted to ask if anyone used a zipper in their mask.

What kind of fabric is everyone using for the mask? I've had a hard time finding something that matches the screen-used mask. Also @AektschnMarv your webshooters are probably the best ones I've seen so far. Good job.
EDIT: also wanted to ask if anyone used a zipper in their mask.

For the screen-used mask they used the sleeves turned inside out they cut off from the hoodie. Works perfectly, the hoodie fabric is so thick you don't need a face shell and it is just like in the movie :D
I did not use a zipper, the movie did neither. I used the template I found here and modified it a bit to fit my head better: http://dali-lomo.blogspot.com/2014/04/spiderman-mask-diy-fabric-no-sewing-all.html. But I sewed the mask, I definitely would not use hot glue to "sew". Additionally I sewed an elastic band inside the neck, so it pulls the fabric to my neck, when I wear the mask.

For the screen-used mask they used the sleeves turned inside out they cut off from the hoodie. Works perfectly, the hoodie fabric is so thick you don't need a face shell and it is just like in the movie :D
I did not use a zipper, the movie did neither. I used the template I found here and modified it a bit to fit my head better: http://dali-lomo.blogspot.com/2014/04/spiderman-mask-diy-fabric-no-sewing-all.html. But I sewed the mask, I definitely would not use hot glue to "sew". Additionally I sewed an elastic band inside the neck, so it pulls the fabric to my neck, when I wear the mask.
Thanks. Think I'm going to go ahead and do that, but I'm definitely gonna sew some more practice masks so I don't waste the extra fabric from my hoodie. Also, think we have the same jacket, did you use the fruit of the loom women's hoodie?

Also also, what kind of stitching did you use? If you don't remember it's fine, I just want to know if it's important to use a certain kind of stitching, especially since sewing machines come with so many options lol

Last edited:
Thanks. Think I'm going to go ahead and do that, but I'm definitely gonna sew some more practice masks so I don't waste the extra fabric from my hoodie. Also, think we have the same jacket, did you use the fruit of the loom women's hoodie?

Also also, what kind of stitching did you use? If you don't remember it's fine, I just want to know if it's important to use a certain kind of stitching, especially since sewing machines come with so many options lol

No Problem :) Yes, I used the Fruit of the Loom women's hoodie. For the slim fit. And I think in the movie Peter just took Aunt May's clothes :D

I used the elastischer Dreifach-Geradstich :D should be elastic triple straight stitch in english. It's very durable and stretchy, perfect for the mask. If you do it right, it's kind of hard to put it on and take it off. Just like in the scene when Vulture leaves Peter under all that rubble. So you need a durable stitch.

No Problem :) Yes, I used the Fruit of the Loom women's hoodie. For the slim fit. And I think in the movie Peter just took Aunt May's clothes :D

I used the elastischer Dreifach-Geradstich :D should be elastic triple straight stitch in english. It's very durable and stretchy, perfect for the mask. If you do it right, it's kind of hard to put it on and take it off. Just like in the scene when Vulture leaves Peter under all that rubble. So you need a durable stitch.

Thanks for all the info! Your pockets look really great, I was thinking of doing that but I'm not expactly sure how and I don't want to mess up the hoodie haha. And yeah, I think the costume designers went for a look that implied that the suit peices were from Aunt Mays closet that he stole :lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back