Heritage of Controlled Flight - Completed

Gigatron

Sr Member
Hey guys,

Some of you may remember the WIP I posted a few weeks ago, but tonight, I finally finished.

I added the Spirit of St. Louis and completed the shuttle MLP. On the SoSL, I decided not to go with the included machined aluminum decals, as they just looked ridiculous. The polished aluminum is technically incorrect, but looks so much better. The large NX211 decal looks like it's suffering from silvering, but it's not. The carrier film, changed the tone of the underlying silver paint. Such is life, I guess.

Anyway, on to the picture

HeritageofFlight.jpg

Enjoy.

-Fred

What are the scales on the different models? I know that the shuttle is definitely a smaller scale.

Nick

Thanks, guys :$

What are the scales on the different models? I know that the shuttle is definitely a smaller scale.

Nick

Let's see...

The wright flyer is 1:39
The X-15A-2 is 1:32
The Bell X-1 is 1:32
The SoSL is 1:48
and the shuttle is 1:144

I really wanted to keep the planes in the same scale (1:32), to show their relative size, to each other. But the revell wright flyer was designed back when companies made, what was called "box scale". Basically, they made the box, then scaled the model to fit inside of it, hence the oddball 1:39. And the SoSL is only available in 1:48 or 1:72, unless you want a premade display piece.

Ahh... The SOSL made it. Nice work mate. And is that more weathering on the shuttle? Looks sweet.

Yeah, after staring at it for so long, and looking at pictures of the real thing (except for the Enterprise), I decided it needed some weathering. The "fresh off the assembly line" look, wasn't cutting it anymore.

Really nice collection. It brings to mind the Smithsonian Air & Space museum.

How will you be displaying it?

For now, they just sit on top of one my other display cabinets. Ideally, I'd love to get a long, tall display cabinet, so that I could fit them all inside. The two trouble makers are the X-15 (too long) and the shuttle and stack (too tall).

-Fred

A great concept nicely executed! I'm sure some die-hard aviation fans might argue that this aircraft or that aircraft should be included, but I don't think any of them would argue with your choices.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back