Help with Latex Mix for skin

WytDvil

Ive been reading all the skin making posts and know what products to use but no one really says how much of each they mix. I'm using Monster Makers latex, paint, and perma-wet and going for a greener predator color scheme. How much of each ingredient do I mix? And can that mix go thru my airbrush? Yes I'm a noob lol. Can someone please give a proper mix huntorial? Thank you! Pix to come soon.

If you're using something like Monster Makers RD-407 latex, you don't want to use that in an airbrush at all. That latex is too thick to apply with an airbrush, and it would take forever anyway. Instead, you should apply it directly to the Mr. Incredible suit, using whatever kind of applicators you want to provide texture. The Mr. Incredible suit tutorial shows pieces of foam cut into blocks and textured. I decided to use sea sponges that are used in faux-finish painting. (I had the sponges sitting around anyway.)

It isn't necessary to mix paint into your first couple layers of latex. Later on, you can either tint the latex as you're applying it, or you can paint veins and other details into the latex as you're applying layers. After you're finished building up the layers of latex, then it's time for the painting to start. I've had good results with Monster Makers latex paints, made especially for painting latex masks, but other people swear by Pros-Aide mixed with acrylic paint.

You don't want to mix the Perma-Wet with the latex or with the paint. The Perma-Wet is a protective coating that goes on over the complete painted suit.

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask further questions.

Thanks man. Does it matter how much paint you add go the latex for tinting? I don't know if it takes away from the strength or anything. Are we talking a few drops per quart of latex or an oz or more of paint? I've painted miniatures but never made anything from latex. I'm so excited and nervous to start my predator/monster hobby!

Probably the best thing to do with tinting the latex is to just experiment. Add small amounts and mix it up. I have a good amount of experience using latex rubber and I can't imagine putting too much acrylic paint into the mixture would hurt the strength of the final product.

Just go for it dude.

How much perma wet does it take to cover a finished suit? Paint too? I am about to buy all my supplies and want to make sure I get the right oz size in these materials.

Buy polycrylc made by Minwax. Available at home depot.
This is a water based clear coat, comes in a quart and gallon can size.

I mix the polycrylic with prosaide to make it stick better to my paintjobs. The mixture ratio is something I do on the fly. If I had to guess it would be somewhere around 65%polycrylic mixed with 35%prosaide. Play with this mixture but this is the best clear coat/sealer I have come across.

Airbrush or hand brush it right on.

Exactly that stuff. I always tint my latex before casting ..gives you a lot of headway before painting and is easier to judge how your latex is drying/curing. Mixing colors is easy too. For flesh color skins, drop a few drops of red proline into your latex filled cup ...then a few drops of brown until you get a nice peach color. Remember ..it will dry darker then it looks raw ...you can easily do a color test by painting a layer on glass or a mirror ..then heating with ta blow dryer or heat gun ..the end result will be the cured color of your latex.

now ..for the original poster ..you have all the products in hand ..to help better understand your plan ..and how I may be able to give suggestion ...tell me step by step what you plan to do ..Are you going the Mr. I suit route ..or casting this in a mold? You bought Monstermakers paint, correct? that will have to be thinned with water to pass through an airbrush ..that stuff is pretty thick, but does not have to be mixed with prosaide to adhere to latex.

Buy polycrylc made by Minwax. Available at home depot.
This is a water based clear coat, comes in a quart and gallon can size.

I mix the polycrylic with prosaide to make it stick better to my paintjobs. The mixture ratio is something I do on the fly. If I had to guess it would be somewhere around 65%polycrylic mixed with 35%prosaide. Play with this mixture but this is the best clear coat/sealer I have come across.

Airbrush or hand brush it right on.

Completely ageed with Gene ..and its cost effective too ...soooo much cheaper then buying permawet

Completely ageed with Gene ..and its cost effective too ...soooo much cheaper then buying permawet

I am indeed trying the Mr I suit method for my first skin. Going to do it as close to the Huntorial as possible.

Duct Tape Dummy
Coat or two of untinted monster maker latex w/added cotton balls/craft store goods
greenish-yellow-flesh(maybe) tinted layers
paint (mostly airbrush)
sealant/clear coat

Need to know how many oz's it takes to clear coat a whole suit? Also if cost isnt an issue is perma-wet a bad choice?

Perma Wet is not a bad product at all. If money is of no object then go for it.

I for one would not waste money, I will never buy perma wet again.

here is all of the ingredients laid out. I have literally never used anything else since the taking of this pic years ago.

100_0936.jpg

It looks and smells JUST like Permawet bought from a supplier. So guess where they are getting it from?! Home depot!

I happen to have 4oz of unused perma-wet. Would that be enough for my costume hands and feet?

MEANGENE83, would the rubbing alcohol be needed if I will be dabbing a Polycrylic/Pros-Aide sealant onto a Mr i skin via sponge? Is it needed at all for airbrushing? I'm unsure as to how viscous the mixture would be and I've never used an airbrush.

I mainly use alcohol to thin the mixture down so it can be sprayed by my airbrush. I am not sure if you would need it for dabbing on with a Sponge. I would guess NOT to use alcohol. Unless it was a little thick for your liking. Experiment with it on a hidden spot on the suit.

Goodluck buddy. POST PICTURES! :D

I know that your all talking about how to paint your latex suits but i was wondering if when latexing my suit should i :if starting on a two piece suit, when latexing upperbody should i latex whole thing ;) or does it matter if i like do the front first then the back .(the only reason for this would be if i was doing it on a tablr not a hanger)

I know that your all talking about how to paint your latex suits but i was wondering if when latexing my suit should i :if starting on a two piece suit, when latexing upperbody should i latex whole thing ;) or does it matter if i like do the front first then the back .(the only reason for this would be if i was doing it on a tablr not a hanger)

I would think not my professional opinion but as an artist, I would say doing the entire thing would be the best approach. I only say that so you know how many coats or layers were applied. I look at it as making sure all the layers are even.

Also depending on the latex used there MAY be a slight tackiness that you might not want to flip it over because you forgot to let it cure 100% or just simply got in a rush. Not that i have never done that before .......

Ill just make a ductape dummy but the mrincredible suit on it then the latex and apply it all at same time im prolly gonna use latex from monstermakers.com but i just dont know what kind to buy?lol

Thx for the tips,Luke

Ill just make a ductape dummy but the mrincredible suit on it then the latex and apply it all at same time im prolly gonna use latex from monstermakers.com but i just dont know what kind to buy?lol

Thx for the tips,Luke

Look at Elkman's post on here, he gives a link to the Latex. Me personally I am going with something completely different. Latex Body Paint same stuff they used on Mystic from the XMen movies. Its a little lighter and easier to thing and brush on. You have to use more layers but in the end it is actually really great. It comes in various colors, example I have Black that I coated my Dreads with and I got 2 gallows of Flesh color for my suit. My boys love the black cuz I had a gallon of that as well, these knuckleheads painted there entire bodies (twins go figure 13yr olds at that) and didn't even use a quart. Well they were covered really good and disappeared into the night. off topic... ANYWAY!

Let me know if you need more instructions Luke.

Look at Elkman's post on here, he gives a link to the Latex. Me personally I am going with something completely different. Latex Body Paint same stuff they used on Mystic from the XMen movies. Its a little lighter and easier to thing and brush on. You have to use more layers but in the end it is actually really great. It comes in various colors, example I have Black that I coated my Dreads with and I got 2 gallows of Flesh color for my suit. My boys love the black cuz I had a gallon of that as well, these knuckleheads painted there entire bodies (twins go figure 13yr olds at that) and didn't even use a quart. Well they were covered really good and disappeared into the night. off topic... ANYWAY!

Let me know if you need more instructions Luke.

Thx for the help believe it or not im a twin myself a 16 yr old sophmore haha me and my brother switched classes on april fools day. i kno how being a twin is and that sounds like a twin teens would do. being a twin is fun. Sooo back to preds can i add you as a friend so i can contact you thx
Take it easy on them thx,Luke

Thx for the help believe it or not im a twin myself a 16 yr old sophmore haha me and my brother switched classes on april fools day. i kno how being a twin is and that sounds like a twin teens would do. being a twin is fun. Sooo back to preds can i add you as a friend so i can contact you thx
Take it easy on them thx,Luke

You got it Luke, anytime you need to chat it up let me know.

-James

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back