help with dead mau5?

Tarchinoko

I recently made a dead mau5 head for myself and a friend but im having problems making the mouth area :( I was planning on doing it with chicken wire but I cant seem to make it have a spherical shape, anyone have tips?

heres a photo of it as it is now:
392456_113969572067691_100003639468248_73157_2065507_a.jpg

392456_113969598734355_100003639468248_73159_1897107145_a.jpg

for wip pics check out my fb prop page in my sig :)

Last edited:
Mesh or some sort, stretchy like the ones used on those cheap halloween masks that you can still see through or even some womens pantyhose (if bank robbers can stuff em over their heads and still breathe & see it should work for you :p)

Yeah i was planning on doing it with white tights but Im still stupmed as to how to make the chicken wire have a curved shape :(

Are you remaking the head or just looking to fine tune the mouth area? I agree chicken wire can be a little ungainly. if it's the whole head what about hollowing out a large styrofoam ball like in the craft stores? or if you need something round for the mouth area a craft wreath or a chopped icecream container?

Last edited:
i need a domed surface that i can stretch the tights across while still being able to see through it, just doing the mouth everything else is finished :p

Surely there is some lightweight metal mesh similar to security screens on windows, it can be seen through, breathed through yet still hide your noggin inside if it's dark enough on the interior, you could probably cut it to shape an bend it to shape required??

Go to the fabric store and find a shear fabric that you can hold up and see through if you hold it about 2 feet from your face. Unfortunatly I don't have the name of the fabric I use. It does not need to be strechy like the velvet as this secion is relativly narrow and most fabrics will take the shape easily.

For the mesh I used chicken wire from home depot. What worked best for me was to orient the grid diagonally to the mouth, then cut an oval that is large enough to go over the mouth. When the mesh is not square it is considerably easier to bend. I'm not going to sugar coat it, this is a bit tricky though. Then to mount everything I carefully hot glued the visor fabric to the mesh, then the full assembly. Here is the inside of my first head to give you an idea. The leater ones are significantly cleaner

DSCF1790.jpg

And the finished products:
DSCN4185_edited.jpg

DSCF1852.jpg

DSCF1853.jpg

oh i see so cutting it into a circle or an oval to star with helps get it to curve, itll probably be much easier now thanks :p

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back