Help Seamstress issues. Or how do you approach a seamstress with a cosplay project

Maryfoxfirebird

I sent my captain america suit to be modified with a local seamstress. She was able to take on the project and offer a reasonable quote. Now she's making comments about how I should just abandon my suit and make a cheaper one or complain about the project all together. I stopped by today to match up my leather pieces only to find the only work done to my suit has been to remove the star from the chest. I'm feeling really discouraged. How do you guys interview or solicit tailors or seamstresses for your projects?

Re: Help Seamstress issues. Or how do you approach a seamstress with a cosplay projec

Oh jeez, she just probably isnt at that level.
You should try to find a circus or entertainment group that sews costumes for movies/plays.
These people know how to make costumes.

Re: Help Seamstress issues. Or how do you approach a seamstress with a cosplay projec

Along the lines of IndridColdx's response: If you've got a professional/semi-pro dance studio in your area you might try contacting them... Either they are ordering their recital costumes from somewhere and might be able to recommend them to you, or they might be doing a lot of stuff in-house and may be willing to take on a side-job.

As for deciding on your next candidate, I think it would be fair to ask for some information about their past work... Portfolio pics, if they have costumes on-hand that you can look at, etc. I'd probably be looking for either someone who can make something from scratch that looks up to your standards, or someone who has experience modifying from something someone else has done (modifying store-bought or something similar). Also, ask them if they have experience with whatever material you're looking to modify since you'll want someone who knows the problems that come along with your material. Someone who has primarily done cotton blends for quilts might not have the experience to modify spandex or some other stretchy material.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 and worth all you paid for it. :D

MM

Thanks guys for the advice....sadly I live in a mountain town with biggest city (Denver) 2hrs away depending on roads and weather.

in that case your best bet is to find someone here and ship it to them

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back