Help - OT Helmets and Armour - Painted/unpainted?

jun

Hi again folks,

Can you guys check the following and see if I've got it right (all queries relating to screen used only):

ANH:
Hero Stormtrooper helmet - Unpainted ABS
Hero Stormtrooper armour - Unpainted ABS?

Stunt Stormtrooper helmet - Painted HDPE
Stunt Stormtrooper armour - Unpainted ABS?

ESB:
Snowtrooper helmet - Unpainted ABS?
Snowtrooper armour - Unpainted ABS with painted detailing?

ROTJ:
Biker Scout helmet - Painted ABS
Biker Scout armour - Unpainted ABS?

Where the helmet was painted and armour unpainted, how do they match the finish on screen?
On screen it seems to match OK (e.g. biker scout) but I find it difficult to make them match (the helmet and armour if one is painted) and look good in my collection. Thoughts?

Thanks!

The stunt stormtrooper was the only one painted as it was manufactured in a khaki-colored HDPE. By the time they were doing the armor and hero helmets, they had switched to a white ABS, and as such, had no reason to paint them. There is actually somewhat of a noticeable difference on screen in ANH if you pay attention to it to the stunt helmets and armor color, but not really enough to pick it up.

TL;DR the stunt stormtrooper helmets for ANH and ESB were the only ones painted, everything after that was manufactured in white.

Thanks Baruopa, are you also saying that the biker scout helmet is also not painted?
No, sorry, the bike scout helmet was spray painted white, though it's my understanding the armor was unpainted. I'm assuming the only reason the biker scout helmets were painted was to hide the seams and filler from the assembly process.

Last edited:
No, sorry, the bike scout helmet was spray painted white, though it's my understanding the armor was unpainted. I'm assuming the only reason the biker scout helmets were painted was to hide the seams and filler from the assembly process.
Exactly what I heard/saw too

there was a great video on YouTube about how the original creator made it

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back