Yuma/Hero build thread

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

BobaDan

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

DaveP

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Finally got the second retention screw installed in my Yuma. :)

IMG_20201018_095722~2.jpg

IMG_20201018_094022~2.jpg

IMG_20201018_094300~2.jpg

IMG_20201018_094122~2.jpg

The increase in stability from having a second fixing point has convinced me that the second retention point was functional on the Yuma, and that the depth of the tang was much deeper than it is today on the Hero. It follows then, that it's been filled at some point in the props' history in my opinion.

I've chosen to remove the electrical tape on the blade. The diagonal lines in the reference image are present on the hilt as well as the blade, so I've concluded that they're artifacts in the image, rather than evidence of the blade having been wrapped. That said, there is clearly something over the collar, or perhaps it was simply painted to match the colour of the blade (which was black to stand out against the blue sky).

IMG_20201018_095200~2.jpg

IMG_20201018_094946~2.jpg

IMG_20201018_095532~2.jpg

It's a great feeling to finally get the blade secured, and to swing it around. There's a real feeling of replaying history, which is incredibly satisfying. :cool:

BobaDan

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

View attachment 1359521
View attachment 1359515
View attachment 1359517
View attachment 1359516

The increase in stability from having a second fixing point has convinced me that the second retention point was functional on the Yuma, and that the depth of the tang was much deeper than it is today on the Hero. It follows then, that it's been filled at some point in the props' history in my opinion.

I've chosen to remove the electrical tape on the blade. The diagonal lines in the reference image are present on the hilt as well as the blade, so I've concluded that they're artifacts in the image, rather than evidence of the blade having been wrapped. That said, there is clearly something over the collar, or perhaps it was simply painted to match the colour of the blade (which was black to stand out against the blue sky).

View attachment 1359519
View attachment 1359518
View attachment 1359520

It's a great feeling to finally get the blade secured, and to swing it around. There's a real feeling of replaying history, which is incredibly satisfying. :cool:

Love it Dave!

chazzychaz

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

View attachment 1359521
View attachment 1359515
View attachment 1359517
View attachment 1359516

View attachment 1359519
View attachment 1359518
View attachment 1359520

Congratulations!

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This looks great! Thats a decent amount of tang youve got there. Bladed this is so badass

If they de-stunted it, that would explain the blanked hole, good work

DaveP

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This looks great! Thats a decent amount of tang youve got there. Bladed this is so badass

If they de-stunted it, that would explain the blanked hole, good work
Thanks Tom. Yeah, I guess there's no way of knowing for sure, how long it would have been? Unless the actual screen used blade is found one day! Definitely longer than the 10mm or so depth on the Hero though. I stopped short of compromising the strength of the neck which seemed to make sense. :)

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yes, I think that was a great idea. I also want to ask, with the blade on it, where does the balance fall... grip rings, emitter, just past the nipple?

DaveP

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yes, I think that was a great idea. I also want to ask, with the blade on it, where does the balance fall... grip rings, emitter, just past the nipple?
The blade itself is pretty light, being fibreglass and not very long, so it hasn't shifted the point of balance by much. It's around the middle of the grip/grenade section.

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hmm yea this was a different type of prop, meant for tracking and not choreography. Interesting!

Great work man, this belongs in an R2 unit