Juan's Stormtrooper helmet collection (Updated with RS Hero)

Nice collection, juajn7fernandez ! And thanks for the lesson in the HDPE vs ABS. I'm slowly getting more familiar with the various Stormtrooper helmets out there.

Thanks Ron!

Yes and there is so much out there and so much info to absorb. I'm always happy to help and share whatever I know. Hope it helps some to get what they are looking for in their collections.

love those new photos and mod too. I'm really struggling with that helmet look since the begining. What do you feel about the shine of the plastic? I feel it might be a bit too satin maybe.
I've always been a huge huge fan of the TM hero and although I really like those new photos you took and I can really see the menacing look in that RS in your photos. I'm not conviced yet for some reason and I'm really curious about your pro opinion.

What a fantastic collection!

After concentrating on Vader over the years I’m looking to get my first Trooper Helmet. I’m really looking to RS, but not sure which would be best for a first one.

Did you paint the HDPE Helmets yourself? I absolutely love how the painted look really brings the helmets alive,

Last edited:
Can I ask, is there any discernible differences with the first and second HDPE run; improvements, modifications, overall quality differences with the two?

Many thanks.

Holy shirt, Juan! That's some lineup. I wouldn't have anywhere to put such a lineup!

Did you finish the dirty RotJ? How did you get that finish?

Thanks! The CFO ROTJ was finished prior to purchase. I cant remember who I bought it from. The previous owner had done a great job weathering it, but it was a bit too much for my taste. In the process of knocking back some of the weathering, I used some Natural Spirits and it cause the paint that was used for weathering to spread and stain the ABS. The result ended looking amazing so I left it like that. I think it got a very natural resemblance to the Endor helmets.

What a fantastic collection!

After concentrating on Vader over the years I’m looking to get my first Trooper Helmet. I’m really looking to RS, but not sure which would be best for a first one.

Did you paint the HDPE Helmets yourself? I absolutely love how the painted look really brings the helmets alive,

Thanks! My main focus is Vader as well, the troopers are a close 2nd. The RS HDPE helmets arrived finished. The one from the first run was finished by them and the one from the last run was finished by Dan. The paint really does give them a very different look to the raw ABS helmets. If you are in to accuracy and lineage you really have nowhere else to look other than RS for ANH and ESB troopers. They dont offer the HDPE but their ABS helmets are from the same source and you can ask for them to be painted like the two ABS ( ANH sandy and the ESB) ones in my collection.

Wow. When I clicked this and saw all those helmets my jaw hit the floor! I am blown away.

Thanks for the kind words my friend!

Do you know how RS gets the Sandtrooper colour compared to the regular Trooper? Is it some kind of wash they apply after the white?

The sandtroper in my collection I received as a regular stunt trooper. I did the weathering and raised the brow a bit. Also went over with gray paint to match the details of the sandtrooper.

Not sure what exactly they do to their sandtroopers though.

Are you looking to achieve a specific look?

NIIICE collection juajn7fernandez!

Really interested to hear your observations on differences between the awesome TM and RS heroes... (I have a stunning ‘Luke’ version of the TM already).

I’ve noticed what might be differences above the frown, the eye area, the browline and overall size/width, back/cap angle etc.). Some of those could be the photo angles though(?)

I’ve also heard comments about the RS hero’s width / shape too. Interested to hear what you corrected and how!

Cheers,

C

NIIICE collection juajn7fernandez!

Really interested to hear your observations on differences between the awesome TM and RS heroes... (I have a stunning ‘Luke’ version of the TM already).

I’ve noticed what might be differences above the frown, the eye area, the browline and overall size/width, back/cap angle etc.). Some of those could be the photo angles though(?)

I’ve also heard comments about the RS hero’s width / shape too. Interested to hear what you corrected and how!

Cheers,

C

Hey! sorry for the late reply to this message.

The main difference between the two is the source. The RS being a lineage cast source directly from a screen used prop. The TM hero looks great, but the fact that its is fan made shows its shortcomings. In terms of accuracy the RS is far superior. The most noticeable flaw I see on the TM hero is the tubes, specially the wearers left side tube.

When it comes to Troopers, its RS and CFO all day every day. True lineage.

Hey! sorry for the late reply to this message.

The main difference between the two is the source. The RS being a lineage cast source directly from a screen used prop. The TM hero looks great, but the fact that its is fan made shows its shortcomings. In terms of accuracy the RS is far superior. The most noticeable flaw I see on the TM hero is the tubes, specially the wearers left side tube.

When it comes to Troopers, its RS and CFO all day every day. True lineage.

Ah, no worries mate! Thanks for your reply anyway. It’s much appreciated! :)

I’ve since come to the same conclusion. I managed to get in on RS’s second Hero run and it shouldn’t be long now til I receive mine.:cool:

How exactly did you correct the width/shape issue with your RS Hero (to make it wider etc.), and do you have any pics of this?

I’d definitely want to do the same... Yours is perfection, perfected! (y)

Cheers, C

Ah, no worries mate! Thanks for your reply anyway. It’s much appreciated! :)

I’ve since come to the same conclusion. I managed to get in on RS’s second Hero run and it shouldn’t be long now til I receive mine.:cool:

How exactly did you correct the width/shape issue with your RS Hero (to make it wider etc.), and do you have any pics of this?

I’d definitely want to do the same... Yours is perfection, perfected! (y)

Cheers, C

This shouldn't be a problem anymore. All the helmets I've seen after the first batch seemed to have the correct width.

I didnt document my mod, but its simple enough. I just heated the helmet with a hair drier ( A heat gun is was too harsh and can damage the helmet) to make the ABS pliable enough. I already had a wood spacer in there to expand the helmet to the desired width. Let it cool down with the spacer still in place and it kept the shape you see in my pictures.

However, like I said before, I dont think this should be an issue anymore.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back