Help needed: How do you paint a ball?

sycor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Seriousy? How do you paint a ball to get good even coverage? I'm not familiar with painting as it is, but the stuff I typically paint are more flat or block shaped. So you can paint a side and then move on to another side. But how do you paint a ball without getting uneven coverage from having to rotate it?

And to make matters worse, the ball is around 1.5 inch in diameter so it's small.

Does it have to be covered 360 or will it be sitting/attached on/to something? If it is then you can mount it at the same point on a stick and use that. If it has to be 360* then multiple light coats is pretty much the only option.

Bingo.

If you have a section that is going to be covered (meaning by a display base or something) you can always go the "fishing line and superglue" trick, where you tie the fishing line off to a little "hangman scaffold" you can make outta virtually anything, and glue one end to the ball and let it hang while you paint. Pops off pretty easy and only leaves a tiny mark if you don't slather the glue on.

Chris

I've driven three large nails through a board converging on a point for just this purpose. You'll have to do multiple coats, or some touch ups, but I find it's the easiest solution.

a ball like a soccer ball to blow up or a solid ball?

because a inflatable ball is easy, you build a stand with a blow up needle for the ball on top and mount the ball on that

voila 360° paintable

Okay, I've actually done this before to a small wooden ball!!
If it can be spray painted.......

I cut the sides off a small cardboard box to about 2 inches high.
Tossed the ball in and started tilting and moving the box around
to make the ball roll all over.

I started spraying the paint, chasing the ball around the box as I
continued to spray, then stopped spraying and let it roll to a stop.
A light coat of spray paint dries so fast the ball is dry enough when
it stops rolling not to stick in the spot......

I put on three light coats sanded between each, and a final polish.....

Shylaah

This is how I would do it, make a simple jig that uses two fine points (needles, pin, nail) to suspend the ball, you get 360° of access and only have 2 very small areas that can easily be spot touched afterwords... If you use needles or pins the area is so small it's nearly painless to touch up...

Just spin it on your finger like a basketball player and rattle can paint it as it spins. Keep it spinning and take a heat gun to it before it stop spinning... There.. all done and perfect paint job..

;-)

Just spin it on your finger like a basketball player and rattle can paint it as it spins. Keep it spinning and take a heat gun to it before it stop spinning... There.. all done and perfect paint job..

;-)

But then how to I get the section that's balancing on my finger? :confused :lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back