Hell Lord Puzzle Ball - Cabin in the Woods

Welp, found the puzzle ball maker, and checked to see if he had one. He did, but it was 220 gbp, which is incredibly out of my range for a piece I'd end up painting and redoing to match the movie.

Seems expensive to me, but then again I buy plastic helmets and crystal paperweights to collect dust on my shelf, so I'm not exactly the best person to point fingers and go "ha ha your hobby is weird!"

Will keep an eye on this. I'd love a "functional" one that moved, but just one to set on the shelf would be awesome as well.

Chris

£220 for a rubik's cuball?!

Maybe there's a niche I didn't know about for spherical puzzles.

To be fair, it was a custom job he made. It had the double rows in the center, where the rubix ones only seem to have 1 row.

But yea, seems to be a hell of a hobby.

Chris

Forgive me if this was asked before.
Are you going to print all the pieces or are you going to just print the 3 you need to, and cast from them? I'm sure making the pieces from resin will be a lot cheaper than having each piece printed.

Last edited:
Those little metal things (frames?) might be a found object. I know I have seen something like that before.

Watchband maybe, or a button closure, but I know I have seen em somewhere...

Chris

Those little metal things (frames?) might be a found object. I know I have seen something like that before.

Watchband maybe, or a button closure, but I know I have seen em somewhere...

Chris

maybe Metal scrapbooking frames?
il_fullxfull.356400547_hpf2.jpg

I don't know if Ricksprops made it or how he did, bit if so I'd love to know his process. I think that it was 3D printed though, in a similar manner to what I'm doing for my openable piece. It looks to be fairly uniform and even has repeqting symbols on the two center rings.

As for casting, I don't have the resources and knowledge to cast them really, as much as I'd love to. The problem with casting is that I really want all the pieces to have unique symbols, which requires having all pieces unique. I may, if someine is willing to help, cast from the master I'll be getting from Boshwan, maybe that will solf the cost to detail ratio problem?

As for the ball made by Tony Fisher, yes I spoke to him too and got a similar number for purchasing the one ball he had left. In my research I was actually able to find a lot people that take "Twisty Puzzles" just as if not more seriously then RPFers do about props. I suppose that translates to costs for rare puzzles as well.

Eh...

I'd just offer blank castings and let whoever wants one engrave them.

There's only a few symbols shown, and we can make up the rest of em.

Chris

So I've passed off the base mesh to the modeler, I was having too much trouble trying to model the detail in Alibre, hopefully he'll have better luck in Mudbox or Zbrush.

I also did some enhancing of my reference photos to attempt to find more symbols, some shots did better then others.

PuzzleBall_Ref.jpg

PuzzleBall_Ref02.jpg

PuzzleBall_Ref03.jpg

PuzzleBall_Ref04.jpg

PuzzleBall_Ref05.jpg

PuzzleBall_Ref06.jpg

PuzzleBall_Ref09.jpg

And apparently a goldfish?? Hehe, maybe, maybe not.

Goldfish.jpg

I'd also like to add some Joss Whedon easter eggs if I can. There are a few asian characters beside some of the symbols, maybe I can get some Firefly references in those. If anyone knows a good databank for thank sort of stuff, and/or a translator, that would be nifty.

So here is the progress on the sculpting so far

Test03.jpg

I'm not sure what to do though, this method is creating very high poly models, which Shapeways will never accept, throwing that option out. I can save some polys by making a super low poly "base" that the higher poly piece will then be glued on, making the pips a 2 part process, but that would increase material costs. I'm starting to think that going the molding+sculpting route is the better way to go, maybe print one master blank per piece type, and mold a bunch from that, or just leave the sculpting up to the end user? I feel like that would reduce the amount of buyers though.

Does anyone out there have a 3D printer that they are willing to rent for this project? Or have the skills and desire to mold these?

Maybe stickers?

Oh yea, the thing I was thinking of for the metal frames was the card catalog at the library. The little frames at the front telling you what was in there was the thingie I was thinking of.

Chris

I built it in 3D in Rhino and CNC each piece then laser engraved all the pieces. Most were different from each other not all the same. I made two version both were a tough build. If I can post another picture or video link I will.

WHAAAAATTTT I nearly fell out of my chair just now... Like 100% seriously. This is an AMAZING picture! Is there anything you can tell me about the construction of it? Were we correct in assuming only 2 rings move and one in 1 axis? How large is it? Did you ever sculpt an interior?

Thank you SOO much for this, and any other info you can divulge. Now I'm afraid I'll never be able to reproduce something so amazing and detailed O.O

I'll try to make a "how I made this" album on my FB site. I took lots of picture so you can see the whole process. I'm a bit busy right now with work but I'll get to it in the next couple of weeks.

Watched Cabin in the Woods for the first time this weekend after seeing pictures of the puzzle ball, absolutely loved the film. :thumbsup

Definitely looking forward to seeing more pics when you have time to post, the video of it in action is great. One of my favorite things about this community is finding a prop that you really like, and then finding out the person who made it is right here. :eek

Hi guys, I've posted the whole process of the Puzzle ball and how I built it. I had two attempts at this and one was drastically different than the other. Both used magnets but found the first time that there was one position that two magnets opposed each other and pop there goes one of the pieces. Some re-engineering was needed and I was able to correct it. The second attempt was less detailed than the first in terms of metal where I ended up molding the frames. I'll post those pics soon.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.497130200346920.1073741825.172760979450512&type=1

This is the link.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back