Hell Lord Puzzle Ball - Cabin in the Woods

Gibbtall

So I guess no one on the internet loves this prop as much as I do. So I had to take it upon my self to share this reference with the world!

Right now I have no concrete plans of making this, but would certainly LOVE to. 3D printing is an option, if there are people that are willing to purchase them. Otherwise I think modifying a rubiks cube would probably be my best bet for a one-off.

puzzleball01.jpg
puzzleball02.jpg
puzzleball03.jpg
puzzleball04.jpg
puzzleball05.jpg
puzzleball06.jpg
puzzleball07.jpg
puzzleball08.jpg
puzzleball09.jpg

Sorry about the extra frames on these, but it was the best I could do, and figured I needed to show it's actual movements.

(these were pretty laggy so I'm not embedding them all together.

http://www.tayloranimated.com/puzzleball/puzzleball_1.gif
http://www.tayloranimated.com/puzzleball/puzzleball_2.gif
http://www.tayloranimated.com/puzzleball/puzzleball_3.gif

So far as I can tell it really only rotates on one axis, which makes making one screen accurate kind of easier, but slightly boring. I'm not sure if making a 3D printed one with a button and openable is ideal or even feasible. Or if a rubiks cube (or if 3D printed, rubiks cube type innards) would be better for the 2 axis rotation.

It seems to be a 4x4 "cube", the center rings have 16 squares, but there seems to be 4 sets of conjoined squares/rectangles that would be in the "cube's" corners. I also don't see any proof that the prop had any more moving parts than the 2 middle rings.

Here's a paintover of what I considered clear divisions in the squares.

puzzleball10.jpg

From what I gather it's built of 8 triangular "corner" pieces, 16 conjoined "edge" pieces (which are slightly more rectangular then the squares), and 24 single squares that are the "cube's" faces. The button on the top is one of the single squares in the "top" cluster of 4.

If anyone knows anything else about this piece, feel free to leave a comment. I'm going to try and extract some of the symbols (which I'd love some help identifying, if I know where they come from then it will be easier to extrapolate what the hidden symbols should be.) as well as look in to the best way to make one.

If you're interested in helping and/or purchasing one of these if it were to be 3D printed, please speak up, making it for myself would be fantastic, but if I can get a few people that want to buy kits then that significantly increases my drive to get it done.

Also, sneaky bonus boomer:
boomer.jpg

Last edited:
So here are the symbols I was able to extract. There might be a lot of reuse, but I'd like to make sure all the faces are unique, especially if it actually unlocks.

PuzzleBall_symbols01.jpg

That's actually the exact thing I would do to a cube. Thanks a ton for this link. I'm trying to contact Tony on twitter to see if he has any laying around I could snag, or if he's up to helping me figure out the internal mechanisms so I can model it.

I was absolutely fascinated by this prop the moment I saw it in the movie,but my lack of experience to fabricate it made me decide to just wait and see if anyone else tackled it. :unsure

So some time in Alibre Design and I've got a design that would be hallow and have all 4 sections of one axis spin independently. This one isn't so much of a challenge to unlock, there is one position that allows the "lid" to come off, but you only need to arrange the top and bottom properly to find it. The center rings don't affect the lid. I'd love to have a sort of "padlock" type mechanism, but that would require having a "pin" going from the top to the bottom, which would be exposed when open and in danger of breakage (and ugly). I've modeled this to be pretty thin, in order to save on material, I find Shapeways prices to be kind of crazy, but if people use it I might as well give them the option.

I've also purchased a 4x4x4 rubik's cube, I'll use it to research the innards, but am thinking it might be more feesable to simply model pieces that can be glued to a 4x4x4 cube as a sort of mod. The one I'm grabbing is only $20 with shipping, if I can get the printed pieces to sell on Shapeways below $80 then that's probably a decent price point.

puzzleball01_by_gibbtall-d5w79jn.jpg

I think there is a photo of the prop ball in the "Making Of" book if memory serves...

Dalroi.

How is this not EXACTLY what they did in the movie? It looks like it has the same layout of 'cubes' in the design. A double length one etc. Just rotate the picture 90 degrees and you'll see it line up with the movie stills.

That's exactly what I was saying, heh. I don't know if they actually used a rubik's cube as a base for the prop, it would make sense, but the only scenes that show anything turning only shows the middle 2 rings turning, otherwise the top and bottom stay perfectly aligned. I'm debating on making 2 versions, one that has a hallow core and 1 axis of rotation, and another with an internal rubik's cube, cause why wouldn't someone want a demonic rubik's cube.

Ive been a huge Hellraiser fan since I saw it as a teenager and thought the little shoutout in CITW was awesome, great idea for a prop build.

I don't have much talent in this field but good luck!

So here is what i'm thinking for a kit, I've ordered a cube and am waiting for it in the mail, so I won't know exact dimensions till I have that, but this should be pretty close so far.

puzzleball_cubepips_internals_129_by_gibbtall-d5wawvh.jpg

This is what it would look like internally. All of the pieces are shelled to save on material, the posts are fore structure, strength and in the case of the small square pieces, to act as a "pin" into the cube for registration and security. I didn't bother with a pin in all of the pieces since for the corner and edges it will be wrapping around the "cubies" giving it enough strength to endure torsion of the puzzle (I hope). The square pieces are on flat surfaces so I figure they will need a bit more help staying in place. I would sell these ones as an unbuilt kit and plan on doing an Instructables entry for all of this once it's all finished, which will act as kit instructions. So far to keep the size that I would like, there will still need to be some modifications to the cube, such as sanding down the corners. I don't see there being much of a problem with that though.

I've also started looking into some 3D modelers, some friends, some freelance. I know how to model, but not in this detail, so I'm planning to outsource that part.

I've also tossed a couple models onto Shapeways to test material costs, and it's seeming to be inside my guidelines of viability, which is exciting. I've had a few 3D printing ideas that kind of died once I realized how much it would cost to get printed.

A Shengshou 4x4 has a 62.5mm edge length, with gives you a length of 108.25 from UFR corner to the DBL corner. I would estimate the circumference of the ball to be 75-80mm, meaning you have to truncate the corners by 14mm, more if you want to extend into a ball. It also has a cubie length of 14mm, which on a ball of diameter of 80mm is approx. half the length of the corners, which works out.

As for your extensions Gibbtall, the posts are unnecessarily complicated, just print them with a solid base to attach to the cube, and hollow them out. Also, your tolerances between the pieces are weird(they should basically be touching), the walls of the center pieces is thicker then the edge and corner pieces(not sure why you did that), and the corners are much to sharp, fillet them 2mm or so or the puzzle won't turn nicely because of alignment issues.

A great place to get more info on these kind of extentions (and help with 3d modeling them) is the Twisty Puzzles Forum.

What a cool prop! Been meaning to watch this movie for a while now, and now I HAVE to see it. Will be watching your progress with interest. :thumbsup

A Shengshou 4x4 has a 62.5mm edge length, with gives you a length of 108.25 from UFR corner to the DBL corner. I would estimate the circumference of the ball to be 75-80mm, meaning you have to truncate the corners by 14mm, more if you want to extend into a ball. It also has a cubie length of 14mm, which on a ball of diameter of 80mm is approx. half the length of the corners, which works out.

Are these the same dimensions of an Eastsheen 4x4x4? I was able to find one of these from Twisty Puzzles and would like to use it as the base. These measurements sound very close to what I'm looking for though, since Twisty Puzzles says the Eastsheen 4x4x4 is 6cm. So far my plans are to sand down the corners of the cube, for the size of ball I want it won't be too much sanding.

As for your extensions Gibbtall, the posts are unnecessarily complicated, just print them with a solid base to attach to the cube, and hollow them out. Also, your tolerances between the pieces are weird(they should basically be touching), the walls of the center pieces is thicker then the edge and corner pieces(not sure why you did that), and the corners are much to sharp, fillet them 2mm or so or the puzzle won't turn nicely because of alignment issues.

I figured the posts would give some needed strength to the center pieces to stop them from being torn off. The difference in wall thicknesses is actually due to a small lip I added to the square pieces to give it a bit more edge area to be glued. I suppose I can replace the posts with a larger flat "cap" to the square, and have a hole to keep it hallow. The space between pieces is one thing I wasn't sure on, I'll tighten it up but I would love a more precise measurement of the cube I will be working on so be sure the pieces I print are flush once glued. That being said, the prop piece seems to have a bit more space between pieces then Tony's does. I also hadn't thought of rounding the corners, I'll be sure to add that.

A great place to get more info on these kind of extentions (and help with 3d modeling them) is the Twisty Puzzles Forum.

I created an account on there a few days ago in an attempt to find some better measurements while I wait for my cube to be mailed to me, but I'm still waiting to be accepted.

Thanks a ton for the help!

Last edited:
I am definitely interested in a kit if this works out.

Glad to see people like this prop as much as I do. I think once I have a printed piece in my hands I'll open up an interest thread to see who also wants one. So far boshwan527 is printing up my prototypes for me, but he's got a limit to the amount he can print. I think I'm going to have to search for someone able to print something between what Shapeways offers and what Boshwan is doing for me, in both detail and price, to keep both of those at an acceptable level.

So I decided to try and model the "hard surface" detail on this thing myself, here's wher eI am so far.

test02_by_gibbtall-d5xdmns.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get the same kind of detail on the edges or corner pieces out of Alibre, since they really should be going at an angle, and Alibre doesn't like angles. We'll see.

Are these the same dimensions of an Eastsheen 4x4x4?

No, an Eastsheen is 60mm, like you said.

The space between pieces is one thing I wasn't sure on, I'll tighten it up but I would love a more precise measurement of the cube I will be working on so be sure the pieces I print are flush once glued.

When you are designing Twisty Puzzles, You design them with 0 tolerance between pieces. The reason is both because movement of individuality pieces is bad, and because most puzzles are designed using cutting planes through a solid object.

What you really want to do is draw a cube out from the origin, then draw a sphere out from the origin. Use the cube as a cutting tool to hollow the sphere out to the size of the base puzzle, then draw a cutting surface, pattern it around, and use them to split the sphere into your extensions.

Welp, found the puzzle ball maker, and checked to see if he had one. He did, but it was 220 gbp, which is incredibly out of my range for a piece I'd end up painting and redoing to match the movie.

Seems expensive to me, but then again I buy plastic helmets and crystal paperweights to collect dust on my shelf, so I'm not exactly the best person to point fingers and go "ha ha your hobby is weird!"

Will keep an eye on this. I'd love a "functional" one that moved, but just one to set on the shelf would be awesome as well.

Chris

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back