Has Anyone Scanned the Japanese "Star Wars Chronicles Vehicles" Book Yet?

I'm not sure, the description for the photo translates to "Silver paint is applied to the entire miniature for the Death Star miniature that has just started production, and the transparent band hanging on the left side of the sphere is filled with paint. This is a guide to use when applying." doesn't sound like it's something they changed, but also doesn't look like any aspect of the Final product. Good catch.

Again, the full scan is too large to attach, but here's a screenshot of it. It's the same image, just at a lower resolution
Thanks. Really cool to see what they started with, and then the final model.
Wonder how long it took them to complete this whole model. Guessing it doesn't say.

Thanks. Really cool to see what they started with, and then the final model.
Wonder how long it took them to complete this whole model. Guessing it doesn't say.
The text on that page reads,

The ultimate weapon of the Galactic Empire, the Death Star, is a super-huge space station with a diameter of 120 kilometers, comparable to the moon, and has the power to destroy one planet. However, the Galactic Empire and its Imperial leadership, including Grand Moff Tarkin, underestimated the Rebel Alliance's unyielding fighting spirit. They were never willing to give in to this "technological symbol of terror"...

A completed miniature with a diameter of about 91 cm. The small spots of light that create a sense of giganticness were expressed by manually peeling off the paint from the surface.

Shooting for synthetic material. A light is applied from behind to highlight the contours of the dark areas. The same applies to the photo on the right.

An early Death Star matte painting with a superlaser depression on the equator (pictured above). The surface of this drawn Death Star has fine holes, and when illuminated from behind, many lights shine, making it look like a giant Death Star that looks like a three-dimensional object. Pictured right is a prototype Death Star built by Colin Cantwell.

A miniature of the Death Star that has just started production. Silver paint is applied to the entire miniature to block light, and the transparent band hanging on the left side of the sphere is a guide used when adding vertical streaks and painting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220827-180705_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220827-180705_Photos.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 185
Update: Sorry guys, it looks like Disney sent out a cease and desist. RPF deleted the thread and Google won't let me share the album anymore. Happy I could help share it while I could.

:(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221007-163559_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221007-163559_Chrome.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 154
Update: Sorry guys, it looks like Disney sent out a cease and desist. RPF deleted the thread and Google won't let me share the album anymore. Happy I could help share it while I could.
No judgement here; just my non-expert two cents for what it's worth (and acknowledging that I'm a very new member):

I imagine most will reach this conclusion anyway, but in light of the C&D – which, frankly, Disney is fully justified in issuing (especially if I understand correctly that it was last in print only six years ago) – I would respectfully suggest caution in public reposting of downloaded scans either here or elsewhere (as full pages or even cropped in any volume).

If the hope is for an English version to eventually be offered at a more reasonable price, it's probably best to avoid giving the publisher additional reason to dismiss the project on the grounds that the content is already out there.

No judgement here; just my non-expert two cents for what it's worth (and acknowledging that I'm a very new member):

I imagine most will reach this conclusion anyway, but in light of the C&D – which, frankly, Disney is fully justified in issuing (especially if I understand correctly that it was last in print only six years ago) – I would respectfully suggest caution in public reposting of downloaded scans either here or elsewhere (as full pages or even cropped in any volume).

If the hope is for an English version to eventually be offered at a more reasonable price, it's probably best to avoid giving the publisher additional reason to dismiss the project on the grounds that the content is already out there.
Yeah, that's my hope. I can't see much of a reason to stop the sharing of an out-of-print book unless there's plans to put it back into publication. Sorry for the big bummer everyone but maybe this means there's hope! Or at the very least, seeing the immense positive feedback could demonstrate the demand there is for it

I hate to say this, but I think the design of the book and sentences are property of the author. They visited the archives in the U.S. from Japan and looked for unreleased pictures. I heard it was a lot of hard work.
The author is a very good person. He didn't release the Chronicles book for money, but he thought he had to do it.
I think the good way is to contact a publisher in the U.S. and ask if they can publish English version.

Yeah, that's my hope. I can't see much of a reason to stop the sharing of an out-of-print book unless there's plans to put it back into publication. Sorry for the big bummer everyone but maybe this means there's hope! Or at the very least, seeing the immense positive feedback could demonstrate the demand there is for it

That is the most frustrating part

They give a license for Asian markets, but offer no such release for outside of Asia with an English translation, then they wonder why people resort to doing things like this

I would gladly buy the book if it saw a release here in the states without resorting to creating a proxy addresses in Japan through some third party service or getting second hand scans

Maybe someday one can hope

Last edited:
Baruopa - You are a scholar and a gentleman!!! I just want to see the pictures - I don't want to get the Dizney Police on anybody!!! -- They are No Joke!!! I'm just south of Anaheim...and I worked in the Studio system for several years as a setbuilder, handprop and special effects fabricator...

I just put my copy up for sale on eBay. I don't know if I'm allowed to link it, but it's the only one up right now so if you search you'll find it. It's not cheap (asking $1,300 obo) but I thought it's only fair you guys get first dibs if you're interested! Thanks a ton for all of the support

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back