Harry Potter Wand differences!?

I'm planning to make the Elder Wand from an oak dowel, any tips? I don't have a lathe, but I have a decent Dremel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just made a crude drawing on the dowel indicating the basic shape and then went to town with my dremel. The sanding drums work well for the shaping. You can use a knife to add detail and irregularities after you get the basic shape. I used a couple different size drill bits to make all the little holes.

c2b642f93b16fb7fcf46541f8fce4724.jpg
Here's where I'm at right now. Lots of Dremel and whittling, but only one blister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just found this thread so thought I would throw my 2 cents in. The early Noble wands were MUCH better in my opinion. probably because they weren't as mass produced in the early days as they are today. One of the main differences that you are probably noticing is that the newer wands have metal rods inside of them to keep them straight and more durable. The earlier wands did not and some will start to bend over time as is very evident especially with the Ron and Hermione wands that were released in '04.

The pain jobs were also much better/intricate for the most part on the older wands. I'll attach a video showing this comparison (
). For the most part, Noble does a good job with the wands but I have two big problems. One, is that they tend to snip the tips off of most so that they look as if they have a blunt tip, which most of the screen used props do not. I think it's an even bigger issue than the paint job as it looks sloppy and not true to the form of the wand. With a little digging, most of the wands that were released early on can be found with the proper taper and rounded tip.

My other complaint is that some of the wands are not the same shape as those seen on film. Some do not have the curve in the shaft like they do in the films. The biggest culprit of this is the Voldemort wand. It is very apparent in the films and even photos you can find online that there is a decent curve in the shaft of the wand. One that is not so apparent is Fred Weasley's wand. the wand book that was released a few years ago shows the curve but the noble version doesn't include it. Narcissa Malfoy's wand also has a thinner handle in the movies but Noble was given a design that was used pre-production and not in the films to create the replicas. So there are a few things i wish they would fix.

Interesting comparison on the Noble wands!

My biggest complaint about the Noble Collection wands is that they are not wood. I mean, the whole point of the wand is to 'harness the energy of the wood', so to speak, so having a wand that is not at least partially wood, just seems WRONG.

I know it would be impractical for Noble to make wood wands, but it still bugs me. I'd pay more for one that seems more 'real or alive'.

Alivans had nice, real wood wands. A lot of wand prop makers out there also make them.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back